Field Turf

311hawk

Rothlesomething ripped on field turf the other night. anyone think it is causing more injures than grass. players sayibg it is too grippy.

As a Steeler Fan, hate seeing DeCastro going down. He had won the starting job and is going to be a great asset to an O-Line that needs some help.

As for the field turf, I know that since the field turf was installed at Kingston Stadium in Cedar Rapids, there have been a few knee injuries, but don't believe that it is any more or less than playing on grass. I know that the sports clinic that my wife works for is tracking those injuries to look for patterns.

A few years ago the NFL players survey rated FieldTurf just behind natural grass in preference, though at that time I believe there were still some of the old style Astroturf carpets around that were the most despised. Taking a look at the 2010 survey, which was basically between grass and FieldTurf/infill, grass was the winner.

But there are a couple of other angles: 1) recruiting, where I wonder if there's a perception that FieldTurf is new and cool (and grass is old fashioned); and 2) durability, where some grass fields haven't held up well (Iowa and OSU for two, though a big chunk of Iowa's problems were caused by trucks when the new south end zone was built).

I have to believe until further studies come to the forefront, field turf will continue to be widely used. It will continue to be used because of economics behind it.

I don't have any hard data, but it seems like a year or two before Iowa switched they were having significant drainage problems. I think that combined with the cost of maintaining the grass makes field turf cost-effective long run - especially in colder climates. That's the reason why see it more and more.

Until there is better evidence it is here to stay. Just my gut feeling with no stats whatsoever to back it up.

Latest posts