Field of Dream to become premier baseball training complex in MW

HawkinGoferLand

This is news to me, although this all transpired a few months ago. I knew the site was for sale, but living in MN I hadn't heard it sold and someone had such an aggressive plan for the property.

"If you build it, they will come"

“Is this Heaven?”

“No, it’s Iowa.”

Although plans to construct 12 baseball and softball fields for ages 14 and under have made national headlines, the ideas aren't limited specifically to America's pastime.

In phase one, the Stillmans have goals to build an indoor training facility adjacent to the Dyersville, IA movie set property with two to three indoor turf fields, a ropes course for team building, dormitories with room to host roughly 1,000 attendants, an indoor pool accessible to the community and a gazebo near the original movie site for weddings and other events. Completion is estimated for 2014.

By 2017, the group hopes to be finished with phase two of development, doubling the amount of ballfields to 24 and adding more dorms and parking lots to accommodate.

"This will be the premier baseball and softball facility in the nation," Mike Stillman said. "And it's going to be a great experience for these kids. There's no better place to play than Dyersville."

Connections to the Chicago White Sox will play a significant role in creating an enticing year-round Midwest facility. Mike Stillman reported on talks with "old friends" like Sox groundskeeper Roger Bossard and pitching coach Don Cooper to design fields and run camps, respectively.

"To have stars like that is a huge draw for parents and families," he added. "We want people to understand that they'll be having a good playing experience."

Strategic advantages are also in play for the Stillmans - especially when their plans measure against comparable facilities like Cooperstown Dream Parks, in New York, or the Cal Ripken Baseball Academy, in Maryland.

The centralized location of Dyersville, for one, is a more attractive tournament destination for teams in major cities like Chicago, Kansas City and Minneapolis. It would be the largest facility of its kind west of the Mississippi River, appealing to teams on the West Coast. Additionally, neither of the aforementioned complexes was designed with softball players in mind, engaging the female demographic.

Then, of course, there's the obvious draw - one of the most historic baseball landmarks would be right next door.

"The allure of this site is the Field of Dreams," said Mike Stillman,

Article from NY Times link

ABC Newscast video

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Cooperstown of Cal Ripken Jr training facilities to make a good judgement on this, but it certainly sounds risky. But hey, it's not my money!

This is going to fail in Hindenburg fashion.

I don't even think it will get that far. How would Dyersville host thousands of people for tournaments? Where would they stay? Where would they eat?

Sounds like crazy talk to me.

"Additionally, neither of the aforementioned complexes was designed with softball players in mind, engaging the female demographic."

I wonder why that is. Do dads grow up hoping their daughters become pro softball players to fulfill an unfilled dream? Will dads spend thousands of dollars in furtherance of advancing those dreams for their daughters?

Do you think most kids who will attend those camps will have seen the movie anyway? It's 23 years old. I don't get the appeal anymore.

"Additionally, neither of the aforementioned complexes was designed with softball players in mind, engaging the female demographic."

I wonder why that is. Do dads grow up hoping their daughters become pro softball players to fulfill an unfilled dream? Will dads spend thousands of dollars in furtherance of advancing those dreams for their daughters?

Are you saying dad's wouldn't want thier daughters to be as successful as Jennie Lynn Finch? Let's discuss that while looking at pictures of Jennie Lynn Finch.

pic01.jpg

JD DON'T DELETE THIS IS NOT RANDOM GIRLIE PICTURE STUFF IT'S RELEVENT TO THE DISCUSSION!!!!

I don't even think it will get that far. How would Dyersville host thousands of people for tournaments? Where would they stay? Where would they eat?

Well apparently the complex will house them. I'm assuming all the fast food chains will be inside this gymnasium also.

"dormitories with room to host roughly 1,000 attendants"

What tournaments? I didn't see mention of that. I read that it is strictly for training and a facility complex to house the players.

In phase one, the Stillmans have goals to build an indoor training facility adjacent to the Dyersville, IA movie set property with two to three indoor turf fields, a ropes course for team building, dormitories with room to host roughly 1,000 attendants, an indoor pool accessible to the community and a gazebo near the original movie site for weddings and other events. Completion is estimated for 2014.

Last edited:
Do you think most kids who will attend those camps will have seen the movie anyway? It's 23 years old. I don't get the appeal anymore.

Good point. My guess is that they hope having a complex in rural Iowa surrounded by cornfields where top talent comes from all over the midwest will create its own mystique and become a destination.

Still a bad idea.

Latest posts