Fiedorowicz, gone too soon

Title Fail Of The Year!

Hopefully even if he does pass, he should really do a personal evaluation and decision for the best.

These players usually have an insurance policy for this kind of situation, don't they?

Reason #999 why if your thinking of going pro early and can you should... NFL careers are so short you just gotta take advantage of cashing those checks while you can.

Concussions are just like knee injuries per Kirk Ferentz. It's just a part of football. He really said this in November of 2010 following Adam Robinson's 2nd concussion.

It makes you wonder if his view has evolved and how he goes about counseling an underclassman re his decision to turn pro or not?

But if I am Josh Jackson it is an easy decision. It is time to start cashing those 5 million dollar checks just like his coach.

Concussions are just like knee injuries per Kirk Ferentz. It's just a part of football. He really said this in November of 2010 following Adam Robinson's 2nd concussion.

It makes you wonder if his view has evolved and how he goes about counseling an underclassman re his decision to turn pro or not?

But if I am Josh Jackson it is an easy decision. It is time to start cashing those 5 million dollar checks just like his coach.
I would say everyone's view has evolved since then. We must remember that most of the controversy regarding football and head injuries has been stirred up in recent years.

4 concussions in 2 years is a lot. Luke Kuechly keeps playing and you wonder if he should stop. 2.8 million or whatever he could walk away with is a decent chunk of change to consider about giving up football.

I feel for him. However, I honestly hope he retires so he can enjoy a long retirement. Guys in the profession have such an incredible passion for it and have put so much into it, that they don't always see it that way, but I just hope he can retire and enjoy it.

Judas Priest West Coast!! - My heart is still pounding after I thought I was about to read he had died in a car wreck or something!
Yes, CJ needs get out before the damage gets any worse. He lived the dream thousands of young men never even get close to.

It's weird though that it took a doctor to finally find 'proof' for lack of a better word of what getting dinged over and over does to those guys and putting a name to it. CTE has been a game changer no doubt about it. But that said players have known for a long time that getting your head bashed in isn't good for you short term or long. I don't think it took a doctor for players/coaches to know that. It'll change how the league rules are but not the players or coaches mindset. Just today Savage the QB of the Texans got smashed to the ground and was twitching like he had a sceizure. Yet coach was about to let him go back in the game next series... Till someone else finally didn't let him. Coach says it's not his job it's the Docs job. Well who pays those doctors again?.. Yeah teams can't be the ones paying the quacks it's gotta be the league or the conflict of interest will always be there.

Recurrent concussions isn't something you want to mess with. Inflammation in brain tissue can be a long term problem for some people well after the initial injury.

It's weird though that it took a doctor to finally find 'proof' for lack of a better word of what getting dinged over and over does to those guys and putting a name to it. CTE has been a game changer no doubt about it. But that said players have known for a long time that getting your head bashed in isn't good for you short term or long. I don't think it took a doctor for players/coaches to know that. It'll change how the league rules are but not the players or coaches mindset. Just today Savage the QB of the Texans got smashed to the ground and was twitching like he had a sceizure. Yet coach was about to let him go back in the game next series... Till someone else finally didn't let him. Coach says it's not his job it's the Docs job. Well who pays those doctors again?.. Yeah teams can't be the ones paying the quacks it's gotta be the league or the conflict of interest will always be there.

Yes, good point about the conflict of interest. I would also add how thorough and accurate are concussion protocols? Not just professional but collegiate and high school levels as well. Is there a standard? Are these protocols being revised as we learn more about CTE?

I have always wondered about the concussion that Ben Neiman suffered against Nebraska in 2015? Remember that one? When Jewell plowed into him, helmet to helmet? That was a severe blow, albeit inadvertent.

He played 8 days later in the B1G title game against Sparty. Iowa said he passed concussion protocol.
Presumably he was back practicing days before that. That seemed a little soon. Maybe someday there will be a mandatory inactive period regardless if the player meets the protocol. But let's be honest, you know coaches won't like that. But coaches must not have any influence on these decisions. That is one thing everyone should agree on.

Yes, good point about the conflict of interest. I would also add how thorough and accurate are concussion protocols? Not just professional but collegiate and high school levels as well. Is there a standard? Are these protocols being revised as we learn more about CTE?

I have always wondered about the concussion that Ben Neiman suffered against Nebraska in 2015? Remember that one? When Jewell plowed into him, helmet to helmet? That was a severe blow, albeit inadvertent.

He played 8 days later in the B1G title game against Sparty. Iowa said he passed concussion protocol.
Presumably he was back practicing days before that. That seemed a little soon. Maybe someday there will be a mandatory inactive period regardless if the player meets the protocol. But let's be honest, you know coaches won't like that. But coaches must not have any influence on these decisions. That is one thing everyone should agree on.
Yup and I remember Tevaun Smith getting dinged pretty good once and staying in the game too. Defender was kicked out for targeting but Smith came out for a bit but was back in there later on. Helmets are weapons out there no doubt about it. Yeah the problem with a mandatory time out period is that not every concussion is the same. They have a tough time applying levels/grades to them. Partially because players lie and hide it. Partially because it's impossible to know to what degree it's hurting someone unless it's obvious.

Latest posts