Ferentz's Contract: What's in it to protect Iowa's interests?

I wondered the same thing. I'm no attorney either, 2 semesters of business law tells me athat a contract can't be slanted in favor of 1 party or it could be invalid / unenforcable / voidable.

Not necessarily. Bad contracts are negotiated everyday. (no better example than what we're talking about here). If the terms are within the law, both parties not coerced or misled and some form of consideration for each... it's fair game. Consider the oft-used token "1 dollar purchase" to achieve a legal sale and transfer of ownership. Doesn't get much more one-sided than that. But it's quite common.

As with many things, it's caveat emptor. We can all come up with examples of "bad deals" we've experienced, that doesn't make them invalid contracts. (there are of course exceptions, as is usually the case)

I'm not an attorney either... just speaking from my own business and personal experience.

Barta should be FIRED if he worked with Iowa Legal Beagles to devise a contract that doesn't protect the party you work for. No one in their RIGHT MIND negotiates a one-way deal....it's not like there aren't any other good college coaches out there.

Kirk Ferentz says he loves the State of Iowa and the University. I'm thinking if he doesn't get it done next year on the field, he just walks away and leaves the money on the table for the University to hire a new coaching staff. I think that just the kind of guy he is...and every commentator talks about how he does things right.

I'm hoping KF decides to continue to search the JUCO ranks for athletes because if he continues to lose guys like Delano Hill, there is going to be a huge hole in the secondary similar to the DL this year. You can't win with that much attrition in your top recruits. Garmon is less of a loss because he just wasn't a between the tackles guy, but losing solid recruits eventually shows up. When your best DL at the end of the year is a redshirt freshman (Cooper)...you know you have some serious issues.

No way in H-E double hockey sticks does he walk away from that contract with as much left of it as there is.

I amend my earlier comment Barta should be fired for being a bad AD period he handled the Men's BBall deal poorly, he has handled Fran poorly reprimanding him because he got excited on a chair last year, he handled the Rhabdo incident poorly, the Ferentz contract is a disaster for the U,.....I mean how many more data points do we need to see the guy isn't very bright I think as a BIG 10 school we can do better.

Latest posts