Ferentz's Contract: What's in it to protect Iowa's interests?

That is really suspicious given that the rationale to offer such a sweet deal in the first place was to keep Ferentz at Iowa. A rational person would think Iowa would have insisted on a buy-out clause should Ferentz leave to the NFL or other school.

Barta did not do himself any favors with this contract.

Question for those with a legal background from a guy with 2 semesters of business law. Slightly off this topic.

Do you see a possiblity that schools or athlectic departments could lose their tax exempt status given the commercial climate that exists in major college football?

And maybe related to that- is there a case that the legitimacy of free labor (amature athletes) could be seriously called into question?

Nice to finally read the entire contract. For some inexplicable reason, Ferentz signed/dated the contract to become effective on 09/02/18, at least appears that way to me. Perhaps that's Iowa's "out".

What am I saying though? We love the guy. He is like Bill Clinton. He can do anything, and we will all reward him for doing it.

Oh god...I saw Kirk in his office with Norm Parker and he had an unlit cigar. Is that why Norm left?

Question for those with a legal background from a guy with 2 semesters of business law. Slightly off this topic.

Do you see a possiblity that schools or athlectic departments could lose their tax exempt status given the commercial climate that exists in major college football?

And maybe related to that- is there a case that the legitimacy of free labor (amature athletes) could be seriously called into question?

On the first point, not really. The more serious risk is for the NCAA to be rung up on antitrust grounds, which has happened before. They do not hold an antitrust exemption: Exempt the NCAA From Antitrust - Commentary - The Chronicle of Higher Education The BCS (which is not an NCAA entity) was arguably at even more risk.

On the second, highly unlikely, as athletes aren't forced to accept those scholarships, and they do have significant monetary value, especially nowadays. So you'd have to argue not that they're uncompensated, but that they're undercompensated... in a world where most athletic departments don't make money.

I'm thinking there may be a mentally incompetent argument with the way he manages the clock at the end of the half and the end of the games. There is obviously something wrong with him in regard to managing this process. Screwing it up a few times, ok, it's an emotional game etc...but EVERY game...he's not competent and should be relieved of his duties. There you have it...how do we proceed.

Actually, I think next years team could surprise. We will be better on both sides of the ball in the trenches and you could get worse at QB. It's just not possible with the year we just had. Nothing against JVB, but he left a lot to be desired last year. If we get any QB play, we are bowling.

I'm thinking there may be a mentally incompetent argument with the way he manages the clock at the end of the half and the end of the games. There is obviously something wrong with him in regard to managing this process. Screwing it up a few times, ok, it's an emotional game etc...but EVERY game...he's not competent and should be relieved of his duties. There you have it...how do we proceed.

Actually, I think next years team could surprise. We will be better on both sides of the ball in the trenches and you could get worse at QB. It's just not possible with the year we just had. Nothing against JVB, but he left a lot to be desired last year. If we get any QB play, we are bowling.

He isn't mentally incompetent with clock management, he just has bad timing. Near the end of every quarter roughly 2 or so minutes left his gum starts running out of flavor so he needs new piece. He is scrambling around in his pockets to find the old wrapper because well he isn't going to throw it on the ground, he might step in it. Then he finally finds it, he now has to find a trash can because well he doesn't want to liter. Lord knows people would be all up in arms over that! So then he finds the trash can, he now has to find another piece of gum. After walking around asking all the assistants and trainers and staff trying to find out who has his gum stash the clock runs out and the game is going in for the half.

Don't blame him, blame the gum makers who can't make a gum last more than 15 minutes.

In all seriousness, the only thing I can image and this may be a stretch but this is what makes sense to me.

Ferentz told his agent, "I want to stay at Iowa but only with stability and security, now you make that happen". His agent goes out and gets him a huge contract with a big pay raise after the '02 - '04 years. Everytime Ferentz has a great season Barta is notified that NFL teams are intereted in Ferentz by his agent. Barta, being reactive to the news grants him a raise and extension to keep him here and the big donors happy. All while his agent is securing the most lock tight contract known to man that no one wants to have to pay out even if Ferentz has a rough few years.

Only if the UofI proved that KF was not using his best efforts could the University fire him without paying the liquidated damages (barring code violations said:
Sadly any good lawyer may already be able to prove or plant this notion. Hiring of a O-cord who was sitting out of college football 2 years doesn't seem like "best efforts" I have no problem at all promoting P. Parker that move made sense but the hiring of Greg Davis was not in the programs "best efforts" it was a shallow controlling move that has helped lead to one of the worst seasons Kurts ever had. Not to mention the Brian Ferentz garbage, is going against (or skirting in this case) University of Iowa regulations in the best interests/efforts? That one would also show Barta the door. I am not going to go off on a hate Kurt post as I don't hate the guy at all hes just lost touch with the game and his refusal to adjust game plan, personnel, philosophy, and so on all are not in the "best efforts" in any profession if you don't keep up with the times you get passed by and hes now almost becoming lapped.

We could have went bowling with any competent coaching..Vandy didn't make 3.8 million. The buck stops with Ferentz.

He isn't mentally incompetent with clock management, he just has bad timing. Near the end of every quarter roughly 2 or so minutes left his gum starts running out of flavor so he needs new piece. He is scrambling around in his pockets to find the old wrapper because well he isn't going to throw it on the ground, he might step in it. Then he finally finds it, he now has to find a trash can because well he doesn't want to liter. Lord knows people would be all up in arms over that! So then he finds the trash can, he now has to find another piece of gum. After walking around asking all the assistants and trainers and staff trying to find out who has his gum stash the clock runs out and the game is going in for the half.

Don't blame him, blame the gum makers who can't make a gum last more than 15 minutes.

Clearly we need more gum control.

Rimshot - YouTube

Seems like you are looking for the opinion of an attorney. I am one. The contract says what the contract says. You are not reading it incorrectly. 75% of full salary to be paid through 2020 if he is fired without cause. Having a losing football program is not "cause" as defined in the contract. Only if the UofI proved that KF was not using his best efforts could the University fire him without paying the liquidated damages (barring code violations, etc. which are unlikely with him). The answer to your friend's question is most likely, yes. What "protection" does the University get with this contract? That the University only has to pay 75% of his full salary if they fire him, instead of 100%? Surely not. With this contract, the University was "protected" from any substantial risk that KF will leave.

Whoops.

We were NOT protected from the risk of Norm Parker leaving.

Well, there ya have it then. Dumbest contract ever written up.

FreedComanche

Sadly any good lawyer may already be able to prove or plant this notion. Hiring of a O-cord who was sitting out of college football 2 years doesn't seem like "best efforts" I have no problem at all promoting P. Parker that move made sense but the hiring of Greg Davis was not in the programs "best efforts" it was a shallow controlling move that has helped lead to one of the worst seasons Kurts ever had. Not to mention the Brian Ferentz garbage, is going against (or skirting in this case) University of Iowa regulations in the best interests/efforts? That one would also show Barta the door. I am not going to go off on a hate Kurt post as I don't hate the guy at all hes just lost touch with the game and his refusal to adjust game plan, personnel, philosophy, and so on all are not in the "best efforts" in any profession if you don't keep up with the times you get passed by and hes now almost becoming lapped.

Post of the year?

FreedComanche

A little off topic here but does everyone agree its safe to say Barta is the worst Iowa AD of all time? If not who is ahead of him?

Kirk Ferentz says he loves the State of Iowa and the University. I'm thinking if he doesn't get it done next year on the field, he just walks away and leaves the money on the table for the University to hire a new coaching staff. I think that just the kind of guy he is...and every commentator talks about how he does things right.

I'm hoping KF decides to continue to search the JUCO ranks for athletes because if he continues to lose guys like Delano Hill, there is going to be a huge hole in the secondary similar to the DL this year. You can't win with that much attrition in your top recruits. Garmon is less of a loss because he just wasn't a between the tackles guy, but losing solid recruits eventually shows up. When your best DL at the end of the year is a redshirt freshman (Cooper)...you know you have some serious issues.

Latest posts