Ferentz & The Chiefs? Don't Sweat It

I'm increasingly of the opinion that Ferentz is not NFL material. He's far too thin-skinned to work in any sort of media market where sports talk and hard-hitting columnists can make life very difficult for you. Based on his exhibited difficulty with some of the more outward, difficult or flamboyant personalities on his teams, I also don't think he's fit to manage the sort of over-sized egos you encounter at the next level.

Ostrich

He couldn't handle DJK's ego and compared to some egos he would face in an NFL locker room DJK was child's play. I don't think Kirk can put a whole team in the doghouse.

To me, this is the last but most attractive NFL option for KF. I am concerned.

1. Pioli and KF are very close. Haley and Pioli clashed often this past year. Pioli has mentioned how he ''values consistency'' and wants the Chiefs program to be modeled on Chuck Noll's Steelers. KF has often mentioned admiring Noll.

2. KF is what,about 55 or 56? A minimum of a 5 year contract with KC gets him to retirement age,no matter how it goes on the field. Financially,it would be equal or better than Iowa money,and he can scratch that NFL itch before hanging it up.

3. The Chiefs have a very strong defensive coordinator,Crennel,who has the same Belichek background as KF, and could easily be KF's Norm Parker at KC. He can concentrate on offense.

4. It is a midwest franchise,close to Iowa City,with Hawks like TonyMo and Stanzi already on the team.

5. James is in his last year,and Steven has given no indication of whether he plans on going to Iowa or playing...

I have no conduit to KF's thinking,but I suspect that Pioli would consider him very seriously for this job if KF gave the green light.
I am concerned that KF might want to scale that last wall, before his career winds down. I hope not. Only KF knows. And anyone saying that KF would use KC as leverage for more money at Iowa is wrong.
Please stay,KF!

Also the Chiefs have a ton of talent in street clothes that should be back, and the schedule will set up next year with them finishing last in the division this year. If he was ever going to go, this is the one.

Also the Chiefs have a ton of talent in street clothes that should be back, and the schedule will set up next year with them finishing last in the division this year. If he was ever going to go, this is the one.

I agree. I don't know if he's going anywhere but I wouldn't just dismiss it as typical offseason rumors either.

I wouldn't begrudge him for leaving for that Chiefs job. That team is much better than they've shown. Injuries have really hurt them this year.

Ostrich

He couldn't handle DJK's ego and compared to some egos he would face in an NFL locker room DJK was child's play. I don't think Kirk can put a whole team in the doghouse.

There are definitely egos in an NFL locker room, but you have no idea how Kurt would respond to them, he prolly dealt with them before when he was a line coach. Additionally, guys from the NFL don't get PAULAs every other weekend and require the coach to face the media in a fishbowl about them. I don't recall the Chicago media going after Lovie Smith when Lance Briggs got popped for some crazy DUI or any other transgressions of Bears players off the field, but in IC, every single off the field problem becomes Ferentz's issue and that crap has to get old.

Why go to the NFL and get fired for mediocrity when you can stay at Lil' Ol' Iowa and be paid 4Mil Per for it?

Why go to the NFL and get fired for mediocrity when you can stay at Lil' Ol' Iowa and be paid 4Mil Per for it?

With a 5 or 6 year deal, he would be economically in the same spot. And if he is fired after 2 or 3 years, he would be free from his work obligations in 2014-ish rather than having to continue coaching at Iowa through 2020. If he gets a legit offer, he gone. You get run from the Chiefs, you take a year vacation and then go to the dirtiest SEC program around and get another fat paycheck. It ain't like the guy is gonna starve if he quits Iowa.

With a 5 or 6 year deal, he would be economically in the same spot. And if he is fired after 2 or 3 years, he would be free from his work obligations in 2014-ish rather than having to continue coaching at Iowa through 2020. If he gets a legit offer, he gone. You get run from the Chiefs, you take a year vacation and then go to the dirtiest SEC program around and get another fat paycheck. It ain't like the guy is gonna starve if he quits Iowa.

Its all settled then, Kurt should take the KC job. I'm not kidding either.

KF has one kid, who will be a senor. Then another is going to walk on next year. The chance to coach his boys together would be more appealling. my guess anyway.

Good points. I was operating under the assumption that he wanted to continue actively coaching without interruption.

I've got to the point where I don't care if KF takes another job or not. If it comes to hiring a new coach Iowa could do better or worse.

In my opinion, I think Ferentz is gone. This is too good of a fit, for both him and the Chiefs. However, I think that if he doesn't take this job, he'll never go to the NFL at all, and probably retire in Iowa.

I seriously doubt he will leave, but the Pioli thing, and Norm leaving do throw in a few percentage points that he might.

In my opinion, I think Ferentz is gone. This is too good of a fit, for both him and the Chiefs. However, I think that if he doesn't take this job, he'll never go to the NFL at all, and probably retire in Iowa.

If the Chiefs really want him, I absolutely agree. With the realignment, the road to the Rose Bowl requires us to be better than Nebraska, MSU and Michigan to get to the title game, then beat the best of OSU, PSU and Wisky (add Urban to the mix and OSU could get downright ugly when the sanctions end). I think that Orange Bowl win was the pinnacle of what we can ever really expect at Iowa notwithstanding my prayer that I will one day be crushing beers in the parking lot at the Rose Bowl following a Hawk win in Pasadena on January 1 or 2. I think Ferentz knows this, too, and if he wants to go to the NFL for some time, I think the Chiefs give him the opportunity to win Football's highest trophy. At this point, I think the only issue is whether the Chiefs want him and will pay him.

This. NFL owners are an entirely different species from UI administrators. If you can't get them wins, they won't hesitate to drop the guillotine on your head.

I think Barta needs to cough up more money and an extension immediately. We must squash any potential suitors, even though the reports are based on conjecture. I look forward to defending our Insight bowl crown for years to come.

There is no bigger Ferentz apologist on this board than I have been, but this constant NFL speculation is absolutely beyond ridiculous. He makes a fortune and has a contract until 2020, I believe. No coach in college FB has been given more job security than this guy and he is still one of the highest paid college coaches in the country.

If he uses this as leverage to yet again try to get more money or more years, I really think Barta should tell him to shove it. If he goes to the NFL, I say good for him, but it is time for Iowa to move on.

He should come out, now, and say he has no interest in the KC job. He owes it to the school and the Iowa fans to reward them for the loyalty WE HAVE GIVEN HIM. Anything less will not be acceptable, IMO.

There is no bigger Ferentz apologist on this board than I have been, but this constant NFL speculation is absolutely beyond ridiculous. He makes a fortune and has a contract until 2020, I believe. No coach in college FB has been given more job security than this guy and he is still one of the highest paid college coaches in the country.

If he uses this as leverage to yet again try to get more money or more years, I really think Barta should tell him to shove it. If he goes to the NFL, I say good for him, but it is time for Iowa to move on.

He should come out, now, and say he has no interest in the KC job. He owes it to the school and the Iowa fans to reward them for the loyalty WE HAVE GIVEN HIM. Anything less will not be acceptable, IMO.

KF has not created this speculation. It is unfair to castigate him simply because a NFL analyst speculates about his potential candidacy.

C'mon, be fair.