Ferentz Statement on Binns

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
University of Iowa of Iowa junior defensive end Broderick Binns was arrested and charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (OWI) last night. The following is a statement by Iowa Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz.

“I was very disappointed to learn of the incident involving Broderick Binns. He will, as a result, receive counseling and will attend an educational program. He will also receive some form of suspension and will do community service.

“I still need to get all the facts concerning the incident. But, the matter and punishment will be handled internally.â€￾

Binns is a 6-2, 261-pounder from St. Paul, MN.

pretty dumb. you would think he would learn something from everything that has happened involving other players to this point

Standard Ferentz statement concerning these things. He did mention suspension though so that should satisfy some of the haters out there. My guess still stands at two, the same that Prater got last year.

pretty dumb. you would think he would learn something from everything that has happened involving other players to this point

I don't excuse the behavior. But in my life experience, the only times we really truly learn anything that brings about real change is when something costs us pain, money, or both.

If it were so simple as to learn mistakes of others, I never would have drank a drop in my life. Or I would have stopped drinking and driving after my OWI when I was 19. The pain threshold was apparently not enough for me then. I had to go to another level.

I am guessing Binns will have a test of his personal pain threshold with this, getting something taken away from him.

This is a pretty big deal for him. He could have a breakout year this year, as Clayborn will get a lot of attention. Binns will be in a lot of 1-on-1's this year. If he has a huge year, he could turn pro. This will be something that sends up a red flag on that end, if he is on the border of playing his way into the better draft rounds. Not a small thing.

That, and he let his teammates down.

I'd be curious if snow has anything else to offer other than the standard Clone response. I'm guessing not, and I'm guessing that the thread about this on CF is full of posts that are as intelligent and well thought out as his.

Actually at the moment it's relatively tame. Must mean most of the losers that start crap are sleeping in.

Kirk is on vacation, that I know to be true.

I just don't understand ISU fans and their mindset on Kirk's discipline. He has been fair and stern throughout his entire career. He metes out in house punishment before the courts have their say, based on judgement criteria. Then after the legal system runs its course, he metes out additional punishments such as suspensions.

In some instances, after he has spoken with the player and when the player admits to the charges against them, he instantly metes out all levels of punishment.

I have been following these instances for every one of Kirk's years at Iowa, far more closely than ISU fans have, and I have found him to be consistent and strong. In recent years, the punishment he has handed out has been more stern than you will find at most football programs with similar offenses. The punishment his son James has received has been very harsh given what he did, at least the first time...the second time, the punishment seemed fitting for a second offense.

I just don't understand ISU fans and their mindset on Kirk's discipline. He has been fair and stern throughout his entire career. He metes out in house punishment before the courts have their say, based on judgement criteria. Then after the legal system runs its course, he metes out additional punishments such as suspensions.

In some instances, after he has spoken with the player and when the player admits to the charges against them, he instantly metes out all levels of punishment.

I have been following these instances for every one of Kirk's years at Iowa, far more closely than ISU fans have, and I have found him to be consistent and strong. In recent years, the punishment he has handed out has been more stern than you will find at most football programs with similar offenses. The punishment his son James has received has been very harsh given what he did, at least the first time...the second time, the punishment seemed fitting for a second offense.

This post is going to get it's very own thread over there.

If KF was as harsh as McCarney was on Jason Berryman, they wouldn't have any complaints.

This post is going to get it's very own thread over there.

I hope it does. There are a few people I will go to the wall for in this world, based on my own personal experiences, observations and second hand accounts from others. Kirk Ferentz is one of those people.

Latest posts