FERENTZ OPEN PRACTICE TRANSCRIPT

The high praise for Gettis is very encouraging. Ferentz doesn't throw out praise like that at the drop of a hat.

Wow. Two things jumped out at me. Ferentz said Gettis will be one of the best guards in the league, and I had to read it a few times before I believed it but did he really say Jewel looks tremendous??

For a guy who usually waits to praise players until they have proven themselves on the field those are both pretty bold statements coming from the Captain. That is fantastic news tho because we need both of those players to have a big season if the Hawks are gonna contend for a Big 10 title.

Wow. Two things jumped out at me. Ferentz said Gettis will be one of the best guards in the league, and I had to read it a few times before I believed it but did he really say Jewel looks tremendous??

For a guy who usually waits to praise players until they have proven themselves on the field those are both pretty bold statements coming from the Captain. That is fantastic news tho because we need both of those players to have a big season if the Hawks are gonna contend for a Big 10 title.

I thought the same thing last year when he came out and highly praised a freshmen running back and how he is something really special. Then the kid twist his ankle or something like that kind of injury. The kid carries the ball a few times and looks just average and then he ends up tranfering out. Sorry I can't remember the running backs name. So I guess I don't put much stock in this type of comments anymore. I hope it ends up to be a dead accurate statement but I'll wait to see what happens on the field of play first.

I thought the same thing last year when he came out and highly praised a freshmen running back and how he is something really special. Then the kid twist his ankle or something like that kind of injury. The kid carries the ball a few times and looks just average and then he ends up tranfering out. Sorry I can't remember the running backs name. So I guess I don't put much stock in this type of comments anymore. I hope it ends up to be a dead accurate statement but I'll wait to see what happens on the field of play first.

You're thinking of Jeff Brinson. He could have been something special. He got 1 carry for 7 yards last year, and injured his ankle on the play. It was one of those nagging injuries that just wouldn't go away, and he didn't get back to the field. Then he saw the logjam created by A-Rob and Wegher, and decided to go closer to home.

So I still put a lot of stock in comments like this.

Maybe the years are blending together on me, but I never recall Ferentz saying anything like that about Brinson last year, or ever.

I love this line:
"Derrell is really doing nice. How is that? When was the last time I said that? I speak the truth, he has really had a good week and he is working hard."
:D

Maybe I missed it, but KF commented about BW3 hopefully deciding he enjoys football. Am I misreading it or are we looking at a guy who is burnt out a bit? Sorry, I've been on the road a lot lately and if this was previously discussed just disregard or delete.

"We are a better team with him, but more importantly, hopefully he comes to the conclusion that he really enjoys this."

Maybe I missed it, but KF commented about BW3 hopefully deciding he enjoys football. Am I misreading it or are we looking at a guy who is burnt out a bit? Sorry, I've been on the road a lot lately and if this was previously discussed just disregard or delete.

"We are a better team with him, but more importantly, hopefully he comes to the conclusion that he really enjoys this."

i read that and thought the same thing, but i think that comment can be interpreted more than one way. maybe his enjoyment of the game will outweigh whatever else his mind is on, for example.

Sounds to me like it's a combination of his personal life and football. What I mean is I'm guessing he has a lot going on with his personal life and his full-time committment to Hawkeye football wasn't helping matters. I'm guessing Ferentz was trying to say that Wegher needs to decide if he enjoys football enough to come back to the team even though he's got a lot going on personally. I doubt it's simply a case of him being burnt out on football... the kid has lived and breathed football since he was born. That's probably why Ferentz thinks he will decide to rejoin the team eventually.

Sounds to me like it's a combination of his personal life and football. What I mean is I'm guessing he has a lot going on with his personal life and his full-time committment to Hawkeye football wasn't helping matters. I'm guessing Ferentz was trying to say that Wegher needs to decide if he enjoys football enough to come back to the team even though he's got a lot going on personally. I doubt it's simply a case of him being burnt out on football... the kid has lived and breathed football since he was born. That's probably why Ferentz thinks he will decide to rejoin the team eventually.

This assessment is spot on...

Who is Mike Meyer?

Talk about walk on Mike Meyer
Ferentz: He is a guy we are thrilled chose to join us. We are very excited about that, last winter when he did that. He has good potential. We have only had 11 practices but we are really impressed with him and we think he might make the competition that much more interesting.

I think the praise was heaped on Brinson by some FL sports writers and his HS coach, not KF, although KF spoke well of him, just not in terms of heaping praise and expectations on the young man.

Wow, a lot of positives coming from KF. When was the last time you heard this much praise and it wasn't after a bowl victory or something? He does realize this is summer, right?
I'm going to go ahead and read into this: We are good right now.

i've never heard him this positive. he must be pleased. still waiting for norm to say the DL is "simply okay". if he's complimentary, there must be something in the IC water.

Latest posts