Ferentz on Coker

O

OO44

Kirk Ferentz spoke again about Marcus Coker yesterday. As he has done previously, he was complimentary about Marcus. Would he say that about a rapist? I don't think so.

What was the real reason that Coker left? Paging Sally Mason!

"What I told him was I was going to support him no matter what,” Ferentz said. “I think Marcus is a tremendous young man and just wish him all the best moving forward.”

http://hawkcentral.com/2012/02/08/notebook-ferentz-said-coker-left-frustrated/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure Jon said there was no mention of Coker, and was very shocked about that....

The Coker commments came in the followup Extra Kirk or whatever the site calls it. Kirk said about as much as he can say legally Coker himself is only one who can publicly reveal why he left and he has stayed silent.

Kirk's comments definitely imply the reason he left was due to University issues and not football or athletic dept issues. Nothing specific of course but implication is there.

I think in Coker's mind staying would have meant he was admitting guilt for what happened. Him leaving meant he didn't agree with the punishment and wasn't going to take the blame for the incident.

I'm gonna miss Coker, that kid was on pace to break the all time rushing record. I guess we will never know what really happened.

A poster on here mentioned yesterday that people attending the presser were asked not to bring up McCall, Coker or Derby during the presser.

Do they really do that? I mean whatever they pay the media is too much then if they aren't even able to ask the questions they want. It'd be hilarious if after they told them the media to not bring up those questions that each and every one of them just up and left. Whenever the media gets to have access to the head coach they shouldn't be "coached" on what to ask and not to ask. Coach can decide how to answer them. It's simple.

Do they really do that? I mean whatever they pay the media is too much then if they aren't even able to ask the questions they want. It'd be hilarious if after they told them the media to not bring up those questions that each and every one of them just up and left. Whenever the media gets to have access to the head coach they shouldn't be "coached" on what to ask and not to ask. Coach can decide how to answer them. It's simple.

Or KF can choose not to answer them at all, which is the way he would have handled it. So instead of wasting everyone's time by asking questions that are not going to get answered, they tell them to stay on the topic of staff changes.

Last edited:
Or KF can choose not to answer them at all, which is the way he would have handled it. So instead of wasting everyone's time by asking questions that are going to get answered, they tell them to stay on the topic of staff changes.

Thats my point. Why even have a pressor at all then if it's nothing more then a political forum. If I wanted that I'd watch the president speak. If coach wants to answer the questions presented thats his prerogative how he does so. He can say WHY he's having the pressor but after his initial statements the questions should be what the media wants to ask period.

Thats my point. Why even have a pressor at all then if it's nothing more then a political forum. If I wanted that I'd watch the president speak. If coach wants to answer the questions presented thats his prerogative how he does so. He can say WHY he's having the pressor but after his initial statements the questions should be what the media wants to ask period.

And the media has every right to ask whatever question they want. They just should not be shocked when they have little to no access inside Fort Kinnick if they irritate KF. Is that right? No, but it is the way it is in the football program and its not going to change.

And a reporter doesnt have to go to these things if he/she doesnt want to. It may cost them their job but it is their choice.

Would you prefer Kirk to act like Zook? Give a warning then if someone doesn't follow his requests just walk out.

It's pretty typical at presser as to what coaches won't answer. By getting it out before the presser, it avoid questions that won't be answered.

Why people think they are entitled to information is beyond me.

Would you prefer Kirk to act like Zook? Give a warning then if someone doesn't follow his requests just walk out.

It's pretty typical at presser as to what coaches won't answer. By getting it out before the presser, it avoid questions that won't be answered.

This is what Im saying...you just said it better.

All that you guys are saying is true and I don't disagree. However I'm not by any means suggesting that I or we are "entitled" to information. I'm just saying that I don't like the media being told what to talk about or not talk about. It's the media's job to ask questions to what they feel is important. However coach wants to answer is fine. He can go Zooker on em ignore them or answer them.

truth.

To be fair, I'm guessing the request was, "Don't ask about them during the press conference; you can ask about it afterwards." Which they did. It's supposed to be a feel-good event, and if people start asking those questions, it can go off the rails pretty quickly.

You know this is a public institution that KF works for.

I don't believe anything the media tells me anymore anyway, as it is all spoonfed garbage that come directly from the mouths of whoever wants it out anyway (coaches, political parties, etc). Impartial, true journalism is dead in this country.

Are you so naive as to believe they don't do this? At any press conference, whether it be political, sports, etc., there are usually a number of subjects that will not be discussed. It is far from being exclusive to Iowa.

Exactly. Why have a F press conference??? Just have a press release and spare us. It would satisfy us more.

What is the point of press conferences? To ask meaningful questions that the outsiders want to know about.

Latest posts