Ferentz Goes to KC - Here's Why

briankaldenberg

I don't think Haley liked Stanzi. I saw it in pre-season. Haley screamed at Stanzi the entire time. From the very little that I saw, Haley's body language toward Stanzi was very poor. I don't think Haley wanted to draft Stanzi, and he was going to try to get rid of him as soon as possible. There's an article about this very thing today: Did Todd Haley Purposely Bench Ricky Stanzi To Spite Scott Pioli? - SB Nation Kansas City

#1. With that said, Haley wasn't fired over this. No way. I think the 5-8 record combined with a "Yes" from a certain someone is what led to the firing right now. Firing Haley, without a "Yes" already is too big of a risk in my opinion. The firing was a window of opportunity that had to be seized right now. You don't want to risk Haley winning 2 of his final 3 and finishing 7-9 because that makes firing Haley very tough considering the injuries K.C. has sustained on offense.

Even if you're not totally seeing eye to eye... You don't fire Haley (who went 10-6 last year) at 5-8 unless you've got a very solid replacement already locked up and in the bag. The Chiefs already have their head coach. There is no real search right now even though there's the illusion of one.

So I think Haley's firing at 5-8 is the best evidence that Ferentz is gone.

#2 Matt Cassel. You don't get drafted into the NFL without playing a single meaningful down in college unless you can demonstrate some serious mechanics and talent. Probably still need to have an unquestionable work ethic and character. Cassel must have all of these. Then to add to the list he was educated at USC under Pete Carrol, and then did his post-grad for 4-years under Bill Belichick and the wings of Tom Brady. Matt Cassel has all the tools necessary to become a very, very good quarterback in the NFL. His 2010 stats are evidence.

#3 AFC West - I think the easiest division to win in the near term. Easier to win that division then it is to win the Legends division for sure. Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State are all bringing in more talent that Iowa. Legends division is going to be a crap shoot the next few years.

#4 KC is loaded with talent. Charles at RB, Moeaki at TE, Bowe at WR, Cassel at QB. Talented young defense and proven d-coord in Romeo.

#5 A depressed fan base that's hungry for success. A fan base that will be easy to please and a mid-market football town. Kansas City isn't sexy or flashy. Ferentz will be able to handle the media there. He won't be expected to make the playoffs every year. He'll get a pretty long leash to get Kansas City turned around. It's a perfect NFL fit for Ferentz.

#6 Norm Parker retires

#7 We're going after JUCO QB. Why? Would someone transfer if Ferentz left....?

Everything lines up right this time. I think Ferentz and Pioli already have a handshake agreement, but it doesn't become public until after the bowl game. Which is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Brian - Your #1 is something I hadn't thought of. Definitely makes sense though. The Juco QB is also an interesting decision. With the QBs on roster, there is really no reason to go after a Juco.

I actuslly agree with Kaldy on several points. I think if Ferentz were to leave this is going to be the right fit.

But the Juco QB is because after next year we have Ruddock and no one. Injuries happen and Ruddock may not be ready. The cupboard is really thin at Qb and they should probably take 2 with this class.

I think Ferentz and Pioli already have a handshake agreement, but it doesn't become public until after the bowl game. Which is the right thing to do.

I read that apparently the NFL has a rule that teams that appoint an interim coach aren't allowed to hire their full-time coach until the season ends and only after complying with the necessary interviewing guidelines.

So however it shakes out with KC their new coach won't be officially announced for at least 3.5 weeks.

You can absolutely fire a coach coming off of a good year if you as a GM see that his style isn't going to work and that they likely lucked into winning 10 games.

I don't think Haley liked Stanzi. I saw it in pre-season. Haley screamed at Stanzi the entire time. From the very little that I saw, Haley's body language toward Stanzi was very poor. I don't think Haley wanted to draft Stanzi, and he was going to try to get rid of him as soon as possible. There's an article about this very thing today: Did Todd Haley Purposely Bench Ricky Stanzi To Spite Scott Pioli? - SB Nation Kansas City

#1. With that said, Haley wasn't fired over this. No way. I think the 5-8 record combined with a "Yes" from a certain someone is what led to the firing right now. Firing Haley, without a "Yes" already is too big of a risk in my opinion. The firing was a window of opportunity that had to be seized right now. You don't want to risk Haley winning 2 of his final 3 and finishing 7-9 because that makes firing Haley very tough considering the injuries K.C. has sustained on offense.

Even if you're not totally seeing eye to eye... You don't fire Haley (who went 10-6 last year) at 5-8 unless you've got a very solid replacement already locked up and in the bag. The Chiefs already have their head coach. There is no real search right now even though there's the illusion of one.

So I think Haley's firing at 5-8 is the best evidence that Ferentz is gone.

#2 Matt Cassel. You don't get drafted into the NFL without playing a single meaningful down in college unless you can demonstrate some serious mechanics and talent. Probably still need to have an unquestionable work ethic and character. Cassel must have all of these. Then to add to the list he was educated at USC under Pete Carrol, and then did his post-grad for 4-years under Bill Belichick and the wings of Tom Brady. Matt Cassel has all the tools necessary to become a very, very good quarterback in the NFL. His 2010 stats are evidence.

#3 AFC West - I think the easiest division to win in the near term. Easier to win that division then it is to win the Legends division for sure. Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State are all bringing in more talent that Iowa. Legends division is going to be a crap shoot the next few years.

#4 KC is loaded with talent. Charles at RB, Moeaki at TE, Bowe at WR, Cassel at QB. Talented young defense and proven d-coord in Romeo.

#5 A depressed fan base that's hungry for success. A fan base that will be easy to please and a mid-market football town. Kansas City isn't sexy or flashy. Ferentz will be able to handle the media there. He won't be expected to make the playoffs every year. He'll get a pretty long leash to get Kansas City turned around. It's a perfect NFL fit for Ferentz.

#6 Norm Parker retires

#7 We're going after JUCO QB. Why? Would someone transfer if Ferentz left....?

Everything lines up right this time. I think Ferentz and Pioli already have a handshake agreement, but it doesn't become public until after the bowl game. Which is the right thing to do.
All good and well thought out points. I only know one thing for certain, Todd Haley is a complete Dick.

Logical reasoning but your conclusion is way off base. Ferentz isn't going anywhere, any time soon. NFL=not for long for head coaches which isn't Kirk's cup of tea. At Iowa he is set for life and he'll retire/leave when he's ready to and not before.

Jeff Fisher makes the most sense and would be a super get for KC, imo.

Hey I saw the title and it sucked me in. Then I saw that chad didnt write it so I didnt read it.

Thread - Chad = Bkstacker thread.

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/147049949245358080
https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/147050020254920704

Latest posts