Ferentz Era Iowa FB Mt Rushmore: Vote for your Four

Agree with most that the top choices include Sanders (unanimous), Greene, Greenway, Banks/Stanzi/Tate, Clark and yes, Kaeding. Where I struggle is Angerer.

Compare his jr-sr years (led team in tackles, 6 interceptions) to Greenway's (2nd to Hodge in tackles both years and 4 interceptions) and it's a tough choice! Both were excellent LB's in both phases of the game. I might lean toward Angerer, simply because of who Greenway had playing beside and in front of him (3 other nominees on the list).

I voted for Angerer. I couldn't argue with the production and leadership he brought to the table.

AIRBHG must be included in this monument! No one has had more impact on IOWA football than it has.

I voted for Angerer. I couldn't argue with the production and leadership he brought to the table.

Same could be said about several of the other players. That is what makes this type of thing a blast, IMO. Everybody has his/her own list and they think they have the correct 4. Lots of good debating about a group of legendary Hawks.

i went with stanzi, bobby, dallas and gallery.

i wanted kaeding, but like many said, he's a kicker.

bobby doesn't need an explanation

dallas, IMO, redefined the tight end role in the NFL. smalltown iowa boy who made something of himself. yes, hes on it

gallery-its iowa and kirk ferentz. i think there has to be an offensive lineman. so why not the #2 overall draft pick?

stanzi- well he's my favorite hawk and led us to one of the most magical seasons in iowa history AND won a BCS bowl. not to mention, mount rushmore is for America so the ultimate patriot belongs on it

Greene- Doak Walker winner
Kaeding- Lou Groza winner
Gallery- Outland trophy winner
Clark- John Mackey award winner

All 4 voted best at their position in college football.

I have a much bigger issue with putting a guy who had only 1 year of major production (Greene, Banks) on the list than I do a kicker.

Greene- Doak Walker winner
Kaeding- Lou Groza winner
Gallery- Outland trophy winner
Clark- John Mackey award winner

All 4 voted best at their position in college football.

If this is your criteria, why didnt you include Banks who won the Davey O'Brien Award and was named AP College Football Player of the Year?

Can someone put Ladell Betts up there he is like the Matt Gatens of Hawkeye Football. #2 in school history in rushing 3686 yds, 25 tds 702 rec yds.

Sorry, but when the kicker is straight drilling 50+ yarders his junior and senior seasons and is considered automatic, that is huge. Not to mention the touchback factor that was always in play on kickoffs.

Go rewatch the 2001 Alamo Bowl or the 2003 game at Wisconsin and tell me that Kaeding doesnt belong on the list. There are a lot of other games that he was a key factor in, those 2 just jump out at me right now without digging through any game logs.

When did the NCAA move the kickoffs to the 30 yard line? I was thinking that was after Kaedings Iowa career but I could be wrong.

Kaeding was the best Iowa kicker ever. But every other player on the list impacted the game more than he did.

Bob Sanders - not up for debate
Ricky Stanzi - winner, winner, 3 bowl victory dinners...and the most buttclinching games I've ever watched
Matt Roth - ****** strength?
Chad Greenway - He is Iowa football. A master at his position

Nate Kaeding was so much more than just a kicker here...lest we not forget he scored a TOUCHDOWN against THE Ohio State University Buckeyes...IN CBus....Just sayin :)

I have a much bigger issue with putting a guy who had only 1 year of major production (Greene, Banks) on the list than I do a kicker.

Generally, I agree with you which is why Banks didn't make my list but what Greene did was incredible. He literally carried that offense on his back. It was the most impressive single season any Iowa player has had under Ferentz IMO.

When did the NCAA move the kickoffs to the 30 yard line? I was thinking that was after Kaedings Iowa career but I could be wrong.

Kaeding was the best Iowa kicker ever. But every other player on the list impacted the game more than he did.

WAY after Kaeding hung up his Tigerhawk...I want to say like 06-08ish?

Kaeding could put the ball through the upright on the kickoff....

Voted for Gallery, Kaeding, Sanders and Clark. Was actually pretty easy for me to pick those 4.
This was my set as well, but it was not so easy.
- Keading just a kicker? If we had as solid a kicker the past few seasons we would have had better records every year. He had a HUGE impact.
-It is REALLY hard to leave out some of those guys, especially Greenway.

I voted based more on leadership than anything. So my four were the following:

1. Bob Sanders
2. Pat Angerer
3. Robert Gallery
4. Ricky Stanzi

Bob Sanders literally changed the fortunes of Iowa football the first game he was inserted.

Pat Angerer brought us back from the dead in 2008 from the 2006 & 2007 "fat cat" seasons.

Robert Gallery was the meanest, toughest, nastiest SOB of the Ferentz era and if anyone can recall the 2003 game at Wisconsin where he literally grabbed Chandler by the facemask and willed us to victory...that's a perfect example of his leadership.

Ricky Stanzi put up 3 of the best seasons by an Iowa QB ever....won 3 bowl games in a row (one a BCS game).....and may have been the best leader at the QB position since Randy Duncan. Plus, he's the consumate patriot and anything having to do with Mt Rushmore has to include this true American!

Latest posts