Ferentz Could Learn a Lot from Urban Meyer

Common sense. Using your playmakers to their most potential.But this is Iowa, we don't do things that way. We do it the Iowa(KF) way.

Lame article. Reads like a recycled HN message board thread. And still clinging to the myth Garmon had elite speed.

I didn't read it, obviously, because it's from Bleacherreport, but seeing the headline I can tell that it's a column that really didn't need to be writted. The headline (even though it's obvious) would suffice.

KOK and so far GD have not been able to place players in a position to make plays.

Really? I think KOK should wear the 2012 Iowa Hawkeye football season as a badge of honor.

If your respect for KOK's ability to help win ballgames didn't increase after watching last season, there is something wrong with you.

This article is just as relevant today as it was when it was written. Miller & Deace touched on many of these points in their latest podcast

One thing to note from that article is that it seems to be hinting that Iowa should play finesse football. That would be a recipe for disaster. Iowa will never be successful in the B10 with that style. The best athletes are in the South. The best 'big uglies' are in the Midwest. Iowa will never pull the athletes needed run a finesse offense with any consistency - even if they did pull Urban Meyer's tactics.

One thing to note from that article is that it seems to be hinting that Iowa should play finesse football. That would be a recipe for disaster. Iowa will never be successful in the B10 with that style. The best athletes are in the South. The best 'big uglies' are in the Midwest. Iowa will never pull the athletes needed run a finesse offense with any consistency - even if they did pull Urban Meyer's tactics.
Which is why we should copy Wiscy's model. Get 330 pound cornbred lineman. Stud RBs and dual threat QB and lets roll.

I didn't get that finesse football was the entire premise of the article. I think it has more to do with finding creative ways to get the ball into the play maker's hands. The section on Garmon running the same plays as MW is a telling piece. It's really no different than running the stretch play with MW; it's not how hes built.

Any system will work with elite talent

This is very true; the trick is creating a game plan that takes advantage of the talent that is available when you don't have a roster full of blue chippers. The lesser the talent level the more important it is to have a plan to keep the other team off balance. Going nose to nose with a more talented team rarely works out well; granted there are exceptions.

Any system will work with elite talent

Ding, Ding, Ding. You have to screw something up to not win at OSU. The resource, recruiting advantage, and exposure compared to the rest of the Big 10 are far greater.

As far as Iowa squandering talent, I don't buy it. Garmon wasn't good as a freshman. And then he left, wasn't wasn't good at JUCO, and now is in jail. If he had talent, he squandered it himself.

Our running backs this year, simply aren't that talented. We all know what Weisman, Bullock, and Canzeri bring to the table. Daniels didn't look great in his reps. Wadley looks good, but was having ball security and assignment problems.

Powell is a one-trick pony, who is more sprinter than high-end Big 10 WR. And we scheme for him. T. Smith and J. Duzey are perhaps the only guys you can make a case for being under utilized. Both of those guys are good Big 10 skilled players. And for a team that lacks good Big 10 skilled players, we could have perhaps forced them the ball more. I think we could build in a few more jump balls for T. Smith or do thing to isolate him in coverage.

The bad thing about it is that Ferentz seems to be so set in his ways that they will never try any new offensive strategy.

Iowa is having one of their best years ever on offense under Ferentz in Big Ten play.

The problem this year is our inability to get off the field on third down, which is attributable to inexperienced linebacker play.

This constant bashing of our offense is simply nonsensical garbage