Ferentz Could Learn a Lot from Urban Meyer

Iowa is having one of their best years ever on offense under Ferentz in Big Ten play.

The problem this year is our inability to get off the field on third down, which is attributable to inexperienced linebacker play.

This constant bashing of our offense is simply nonsensical garbage
But just think how more effective it could be if our RB's were better.

Ding, Ding, Ding. You have to screw something up to not win at OSU. The resource, recruiting advantage, and exposure compared to the rest of the Big 10 are far greater.

As far as Iowa squandering talent, I don't buy it. Garmon wasn't good as a freshman. And then he left, wasn't wasn't good at JUCO, and now is in jail. If he had talent, he squandered it himself.

Our running backs this year, simply aren't that talented. We all know what Weisman, Bullock, and Canzeri bring to the table. Daniels didn't look great in his reps. Wadley looks good, but was having ball security and assignment problems.

Powell is a one-trick pony, who is more sprinter than high-end Big 10 WR. And we scheme for him. T. Smith and J. Duzey are perhaps the only guys you can make a case for being under utilized. Both of those guys are good Big 10 skilled players. And for a team that lacks good Big 10 skilled players, we could have perhaps forced them the ball more. I think we could build in a few more jump balls for T. Smith or do thing to isolate him in coverage.

OSUs offensive output has increased greatly with Myer vs Tressel and Floridas has fallen off the map since Myer left.

Myer would take the same roster at Iowa and score allot more points and win more games.

As far as squandering talent , my head just about exploded.

Kirk doesnt play his more talented QB, which is a massive squander and has an obvious effect on the rest of the skill players. As far as the rest, yes Smith and Duezy are under utilized as were/are Willies, Parker and Wadley.

You can not compete at a major college level and find excuses to leave guys with the kind of physical abilities of Beathard and Willies out of the game. It's not an option.

Any system will work with elite talent
Consider I'm a disturbed Iowa football fan meaning I'm close to knifing someone in the gut about the state of Iowa football... Instead I'm sarcastic...

Florida State, with all that talent and in spite of all the goof ups manages to win games. What does that say about the ability of Florida State's coaches? That they recruit well? How about their in game and before game preparation? Is that irrelevant?

You're saying, hawkinn3, that a good recruiter doesn't need to be a good coach. Is good coaching more important than getting the win? I guess considering good recruiting or good coaching (or winning) one would be unhappy with the results of Iowa's coaches. Unless you're a fan of conservative football or a fan of coaches who can make purses out of sows ears. The latter is a biblical reference meaning making something of quality out of lesser raw materials and not a comment about the girth of Iowa's football players.

Last edited:

Our running backs this year, simply aren't that talented. We all know what Weisman, Bullock, and Canzeri bring to the table. Daniels didn't look great in his reps. Wadley looks good, but was having ball security and assignment problems.

Powell is a one-trick pony, who is more sprinter than high-end Big 10 WR. And we scheme for him. T. Smith and J. Duzey are perhaps the only guys you can make a case for being under utilized. Both of those guys are good Big 10 skilled players. And for a team that lacks good Big 10 skilled players, we could have perhaps forced them the ball more. I think we could build in a few more jump balls for T. Smith or do thing to isolate him in coverage.
Seems like we need to blame you as well as KF for Iowa's better athletes not making it onto the field. Powell is thrown the ball one time against Wisky and drops it. And isn't targeted for the rest of the game. Does he even get on the field? KMM's catching ability and speed are, at best, average yet has played substantial minutes THROUGHOUT his career. Weisman fumbles on either the 2nd or 3rd play of the game against Wisky yet plays substantial minutes. The FG goal kicker, Koehn, booms most kickoffs into the end zone but isn't allowed to attempt FGs. I've already rambled about the QB situation in other posts. What's the problem with Daniels, anyway? Why isn't he seeing the field? KF has so many backs to choose from but seems to chose the same ponderous ones.

What's for sure is KF choses players that fit more into his system and doesn't seem to consider the athleticism of players. Consequently, Iowa has problems with, for example, the Iowa States and the MAC teams because the athleticism of both teams are very similar and Iowa's defense hasn't been dominant since 2008.

Last edited:
Seems like we need to blame you as well as KF for Iowa's better athletes not making it onto the field. Powell is thrown the ball one time against Wisky and drops it. And isn't targeted for the rest of the game. Does he even get on the field? KMM's catching ability and speed are, at best, average yet has played substantial minutes THROUGHOUT his career. Weisman fumbles on either the 2nd or 3rd play of the game against Wisky yet plays substantial minutes. The FG goal kicker, Koehn, booms most kickoffs into the end zone but isn't allowed to attempt FGs. I've already rambled about the QB situation in other posts. What's the problem with Daniels, anyway? Why isn't he seeing the field? KF has so many backs to choose from but seems to chose the same ponderous ones.

What's for sure is KF choses players that fit more into his system and doesn't seem to consider the athleticism of players. Consequently, Iowa has problems with, for example, the Iowa States and the MAC teams because the athleticism of both teams are very similar and Iowa's defense hasn't been dominant since 2008.

Um, Daniels was injured and lost for the season weeks ago.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/27060413/...unning-back-leshun-daniels-out-for-the-season

Iowa is having one of their best years ever on offense under Ferentz in Big Ten play.

The problem this year is our inability to get off the field on third down, which is attributable to inexperienced linebacker play.

And yet Iowa is currently ranked 62nd in total offense in the country (400.7/gm) and 69th in scoring in the country (27.4 pts/gm)...out or 128 teams.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team-stat/total-offense-category

That screams average to below average, and it is SAD.

NOTE: I realize you said "In Big Ten play", but I would hope that our cupcake out of conference schedule would have padded our offensive numbers. Also, four of the top 15 teams in terms of total defense are B1G teams that Iowa does not play this year (Penn St, Michigan, MSU, and fOSU).

Absolutely any system can be successful... With the right combination of talent coaching schedule etc... Georgia Tech, Navy and that style can be really good with the right talent put in place. Just like Oregon and that style. You can get teams like Texas Tech and Kansas when they get a great college qb and a couple of stud receivers they can have big years. So the same can go for Iowa and pro style offenses too. But the trick with the pro style offense is it just can't be all 5 yard routes and check downs for a passing game. Unless your running game is so dominant (like a Wiskys) that your moving the ball that way then passing can't be done that way. It puts you in too many 3rd and longs. The thing most of us are upset with is that Iowa has the receivers and QBs yes qbs plural to make plays down the field to loosen up the corners to which opens everything else up more. It'd be one thing if Iowa only had slow possession receivers but clearly they have diversity in their personel to run most any passing play.. I doubt much will change next year unless Davis takes a hike and even then....

I didn't get that finesse football was the entire premise of the article. I think it has more to do with finding creative ways to get the ball into the play maker's hands. The section on Garmon running the same plays as MW is a telling piece. It's really no different than running the stretch play with MW; it's not how hes built.

Yeah I know that wasn't the only point of the article but it was one that stuck with me. There are things that are done under Meyer that can't and shouldn't be done at Iowa. I absolutely feel there are things about the offense that could be much better but comparing Iowa and OSU/Florida under Meyer is like comparing Wisconsin bball and the Harlem Globetrotters.

Just because it isn't the prettiest thing in the game doesn't mean it can't be successful.

And yet Iowa is currently ranked 62nd in total offense in the country (400.7/gm) and 69th in scoring in the country (27.4 pts/gm)...out or 128 teams.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team-stat/total-offense-category

That screams average to below average, and it is SAD.

NOTE: I realize you said "In Big Ten play", but I would hope that our cupcake out of conference schedule would have padded our offensive numbers. Also, four of the top 15 teams in terms of total defense are B1G teams that Iowa does not play this year (Penn St, Michigan, MSU, and fOSU).

Everyone is scoring more often now vs 10 years ago and Iowa has played an incredibly weak schedule.

Our ur offense is not good

OSUs offensive output has increased greatly with Myer vs Tressel and Floridas has fallen off the map since Myer left.

Myer would take the same roster at Iowa and score allot more points and win more games.

Kirk doesnt play his more talented QB, which is a massive squander and has an obvious effect on the rest of the skill players. As far as the rest, yes Smith and Duezy are under utilized as were/are Willies, Parker and Wadley.

You can not compete at a major college level and find excuses to leave guys with the kind of physical abilities of Beathard and Willies out of the game. It's not an option.

The goal is to win; not score more. Tressel won, a lot, at OSU. Meyer didn't create winning. If your taking scheme, your argument is dead in the water the minute you look at Alabama--the premier program of the last decade. Their pro-style offense has won lots of game. They also happen to have something in common with OSU, lots of talent. Talent wins.

As far as squandering talent, the jury is out on CJB v. Ruddock. It's close. CJB still hasn't shown he can complete a high percentage of passes. He perhaps hasn't had the same opportunity. He clearly is the more naturally talented athlete. We could debate Ruddock v. CJB all day--I think it's fair to say its close.

The other guys you mentioned haven't earned more reps in the opportunities they've received. Willes was screwed up about 3 smoke screens, including one for a TD, against Purdue. Then he went AWOL. Parker and Wadley both have shown major ball-security issues. They've both show flashes. You could argue Wadley deserves some run regardless of his ball security issues at tailback. Not sure what more we do with Parker at this point. Run him on a few more jet sweeps and perhaps a screen or two. And Urban Meyer wouldn't recruit or play any of those guys (at least as freshman) at OSU.

I think Smith and Duzey are the two players you can legitimately state are under-utilized. And they are only under-utilized because they are above-average Big 10 skilled players, and we should get them the ball as much as possible.

We need more talent. Because talent wins.

Stretch left with powell at tailback. He could hit the edge before the D could say jack robinson.

We need to let our playmakers be a part of a "Circle of Trust" where if they mess up, they can just sit on the sidelines with fake injuries in the cupcake games at the start of the year. We need some wide receivers or tight ends who make embarrassing drunk racist statements on video, or worse. Then we need to hire Dan McCarney to coach the defensive line, he won a championship with that guy.

Well Urban might teach about these things first.

1) Urgency and competition during summer camp

2) Scheduling good teams in September

3) 1 + 2 might result in a team with a half decent football team in september rather than a team that is still in mid-summer form.

The goal is to win; not score more. Tressel won, a lot, at OSU. Meyer didn't create winning. If your taking scheme, your argument is dead in the water the minute you look at Alabama--the premier program of the last decade. Their pro-style offense has won lots of game. They also happen to have something in common with OSU, lots of talent. Talent wins.

As far as squandering talent, the jury is out on CJB v. Ruddock. It's close. CJB still hasn't shown he can complete a high percentage of passes. He perhaps hasn't had the same opportunity. He clearly is the more naturally talented athlete. We could debate Ruddock v. CJB all day--I think it's fair to say its close.

The other guys you mentioned haven't earned more reps in the opportunities they've received. Willes was screwed up about 3 smoke screens, including one for a TD, against Purdue. Then he went AWOL. Parker and Wadley both have shown major ball-security issues. They've both show flashes. You could argue Wadley deserves some run regardless of his ball security issues at tailback. Not sure what more we do with Parker at this point. Run him on a few more jet sweeps and perhaps a screen or two. And Urban Meyer wouldn't recruit or play any of those guys (at least as freshman) at OSU.

I think Smith and Duzey are the two players you can legitimately state are under-utilized. And they are only under-utilized because they are above-average Big 10 skilled players, and we should get them the ball as much as possible.

We need more talent. Because talent wins.

The odds of losing are a lot less when you score way more points. A lesson Tressel and Ferentz could learn. If meyer coached OSU in 2002, the results would have been the same, they just wouldn't have needed to get lucky 4 weeks in a row. If Meyer would have been our coach in '08-'10, we would have been serious national championship contenders.

Iowa is having one of their best years ever on offense under Ferentz in Big Ten play. (This is not really anything to brag about. In the last decade the best Iowa has finished in offensive rankings is 24th in 2005. Over the same time frame Iowas average ranking is 69th which is well below average.)

The problem this year is our inability to get off the field on third down, which is attributable to inexperienced linebacker play. I agree with this statement; but it's definitely not the only reason. More offensive production would keep the defense off the field more as well.

Nonsensical garbage is not calling out KF for the sub-par offensive units he has put on the field for quite some time.

I agree that OSU's offensive output has increased greatly. They are also giving up a whole lot more points than in the Tressel years. That's because Tressel was always a defensive-minded coach and Meyer has always been an offensive-minded coach.

Yes, Meyer could take Iowa and score more points, but he'd also give up a lot more points.

And you really need to find a new song. The "not playing the best QB" is getting old. Did you see what Jake could do when the reins are taken off? He was throwing down the field, and accurately, for nice gains. Or were you and I watching a different games? (I will admit to watching the Wartburg/St. Thomas game stream)

I agree that OSU's offensive output has increased greatly. They are also giving up a whole lot more points than in the Tressel years. That's because Tressel was always a defensive-minded coach and Meyer has always been an offensive-minded coach.

Yes, Meyer could take Iowa and score more points, but he'd also give up a lot more points.

And you really need to find a new song. The "not playing the best QB" is getting old. Did you see what Jake could do when the reins are taken off? He was throwing down the field, and accurately, for nice gains. Or were you and I watching a different games? (I will admit to watching the Wartburg/St. Thomas game stream)

No

I also saw Jake throw wobbly late ducks downfield for the first three quarters? Were the reigns still on for those passes?

Yea if he gets time for a big wind up he can sometimes throw the ball.

No one in their right mind would believe Myer wouldn't accomplish better results with the same talent as KF. We lost to fricking ISU at home for god sakes. Think about what you're saying.

I also saw Jake throw wobbly late ducks downfield for the first three quarters against wisky. Were the reigns still on for those passes?

Yes if he gets time for a big wind up he can sometimes throw the ball downfield.

more often than not he chooses not to.