Ferentz Could Be the Big Ten Coach of the Year

Agree that its highly unlikely that Kirk wins. Dantonio, Meyer and Anderson are all much more likely.

Kirk will win it in 2014 when we go 10-2.

If I had to weigh in, this is how I would envision it as well, and in that order for THIS week only. I would probably have to go Meyer if O$U stays undefeated though, unless MSU and Dantonio stay on track and win out and O$U falters, and Anderson if they A) beat Iowa on the road this week, and 2) win out and O$U and MSU misstep. KF moves in ahead of Anderson only if he got us to 9 wins this year (which will not happen).

As far as the 2014 call - depending on record, of course KF gets it with 9-10-11 + wins.

Bo Pelini.

Little Bo Peepilini has a better record right now than Kurt does.

debbie-downer.png

You mean the guy who hasn't coached the team during their little mid-season stretch?

If Minny has a COY candidate it's Claeys, not Kill.

Kill put this team and staff together and is still contributing from the sky box. The sympathy vote would be significant for him if they manage to get to 8-4.

Notice this happens after every win? We squeaked by a hurt NW team, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If we beat WI, PU, UM, and NE.....then definitely ask this question. We've shown improvement this year, as we're now a good ball club for 30 mins (as opposed to just a bad 60 min team last year).

We still could finish in the lower part of our division if we don't win a few more games.....so would that still qualify as COY worthy?

Yes people like to say some posters are too negative or we expect too much... or people are unrealistic.

This is what drives logical and realistic people crazy and attempts to disguise mediocrity as greatness.

We win one game against northwestern... where we didn't particularly look all that good..

And now he is a candidate for Big ten coach of the year?

Most of the so-called "experts" picked Iowa to finish last in their division, with a consensus overall record of 4-8.

Jon Miller picked the Hawks to go 5-7.

And yet, eight games into the season, we are 5-3.

If Iowa goes 7-5, I say Ferentz gets coach of the year.

Is he a great game coach? I don't know.

But he does many things exceptionally well:

1. His kids play hard. They have high character and they graduate.
2. We make very few turnovers and play penalty-free football.
3. Our teams are strong and play tough.
4. The players seem to enjoy playing at Iowa.

I think he is a great coach and the perfect fit at Iowa. I also think Iowa will be much better next year (even with the loss of our LBs) and the year after.

Ferentz has one great run left in him. Watch it happen.

Huh??????? Lose three of among the best linebackers in the conference and be much better???. Those have been the play makers on the defense. A few missing key plays here and there by the linebackers and we are lucky to win two games. Yes, we could be stronger at the other positions on the team but the linebackers were the bread and butter of the defense. It will be a significant loss to the defense next season.

This could be said about the head coach at 90% of all colleges. Sans the last word in #4 of course.

Most of the so-called "experts" picked Iowa to finish last in their division, with a consensus overall record of 4-8.

Jon Miller picked the Hawks to go 5-7.

And yet, eight games into the season, we are 5-3.

If Iowa goes 7-5, I say Ferentz gets coach of the year.

Is he a great game coach? I don't know.

I think he is a great coach and the perfect fit at Iowa. I also think Iowa will be much better next year (even with the loss of our LBs) and the year after.

Ferentz has one great run left in him. Watch it happen.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
OLO
L
OLOLO
L
OL
OLO

You've got to be kidding!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
OLO
L
OLOLO
L
OL
OLO

You've got to be kidding!

Thanks for your contributions, the extra OL and L's in your post drove your point home.

If Iowa was to pull out a major upset, say a win this Saturday, Kirk could start getting some attention for B1G COY. I am sure there will be plenty of talking heads praising the job he has done calling this an amazing turn around. For the record I do not buy into this, I blame this staff for being where we are at in the first place. But I am certainly not going to slam a fellow Hawk fan if they still support Kirk. After all the last time I looked he is still the Head Football Coach of our beloved Iowa Hawkeyes.

I hope KF can get the ship righted and the football program back on track. Making coaching changes at Iowa comes with a huge risk, once upon a time the fans were calling for coaching changes in the basketball program. They were not satisfied with the annual NCAA Tournament bids along with, at minimum, first round victories. So they hired a coach to take Iowa to the next level, 14 years later we are still waiting and they have 3 NCAA tournament appearances since then (none since 2006) and 1 tournament win.

Kill put this team and staff together and is still contributing from the sky box. The sympathy vote would be significant for him if they manage to get to 8-4.

Did Norm Parker win DC of the year in 2010?

Seriously, I think your sympathy vote is a nice myth.

Latest posts