February 7

Fryowa

Administrator
Any of you guys going to watch the Stupid Bowl? Personally, I can't get into NFL anymore and I only watch 2-3 games a year. Haven't seen a SB in 7 or 8 years probably. I follow Hawk players pretty close but that's about the extent of it.

I did hear the halftime show performer was Bel Biv DeVoe featuring Air Supply. @InGoodCo can you confirm that?

I'm going to watch Hawks wrestling live, basketball on DVR after that, and then it's Sunday nap time.

I don't watch the NFL hardly at all, but have had Super Bowl parties for the last several years because I love to cook and drink. Skipping this year because of Covid. I'll have it on probably but it wont be my main source of entertainment.

I'm a Chiefs fan so I'll definitely be watching. That said if they weren't in it, it would all depend on who was playing and whether I was interested in either of them. I still love the NFL, but with kids its not the spectacle that it once was.

Any of you guys going to watch the Stupid Bowl? Personally, I can't get into NFL anymore and I only watch 2-3 games a year. Haven't seen a SB in 7 or 8 years probably. I follow Hawk players pretty close but that's about the extent of it.

I did hear the halftime show performer was Bel Biv DeVoe featuring Air Supply. @InGoodCo can you confirm that?

I'm going to watch Hawks wrestling live, basketball on DVR after that, and then it's Sunday nap time.
I can confirm that combo would be as good as we're gonna see on Sunday.

I'm sure I'll have it on, but I really haven't been invested in it since the '85 Bears, and that was only because my Grandma was a Bears superfan. :)

We'll use it as an excuse to make a bunch of unhealthy appetizers and sit around with the kids and chow down.

Can't even watch it for the commercials this year, whi h is why a decent amount tune in. Big time advertisers and ad agencies are tigntening up the purse strings and skipping this year.

This is one NFL game I watch for sure, especially since a Midwest team is in it. Just got back from HyVee with the fixins for my chili and chicken drumsticks to go in my Emeril Lagasse grill. Even without the commercials this year it holds my interest more than the Confederacy Bowl the D1 championship has turned into.

Not seeing the Vikings play in it during your lifetime would certainly diminish interest.

LOL

As for me I worked in vending for thirteen years. That meant getting up at three in the morning. I've bailed out at halftime in many a Super Bowl.

I watch NFL games pretty much all day Sunday and watch the weekday games as well. That is pretty much driven by fantasy football, it makes the games much more exciting. I don't watch the playoffs as closely typically but this year my team (Cleveland) actually made it so that was pretty exciting. Outside of that I don't watch much in the way of sports outside of Hawkeye FB, BB, and wrestling. I also watch the US national soccer teams (men and women) and I'll watch the World Cup and olympics.

I have been a big bears 1960 and chiefs fan since thier inception even as Dallas Texans iirc. So I watched a lot of the Chiefs this year and they are just fun to watch with a couple hawks on defense, sticky man to man coverage, and that wild offense. Waited a lot of years to see them win it last year, a lot of letdowns over the years.

I half watched the bears get off to a very good start, then suck, but watched them have some grit and come back for a good season. Bears still play some good Dee

But the overall NFL is sucking when the NFC East Division can suck so bad that al 4 teams are under 500 iirc

My NFL watching has declined more and more over the years. It has gotten too robotic for me for the most part. But I do watch quite a bit of the playoffs and I will watch on Sunday. Contrary to most, I couldn't care less about the commercials but that's just me. I think the game should be a good one and I'm looking forward to watching at home with the family.

My NFL watching has declined more and more over the years. It has gotten too robotic for me for the most part. But I do watch quite a bit of the playoffs and I will watch on Sunday. Contrary to most, I couldn't care less about the commercials but that's just me. I think the game should be a good one and I'm looking forward to watching at home with the family.

Come on, Hayden. You gotta love the funny commercials. (well, when they ARE funny)...guess it's the marketing guy in me. I watch less and less NFL as well, for similar reasons. I gave up on the NBA a long time ago...it's unwatchable.

I will tune in to the Super Bowl, mainly because of the historic angle w Brady. If Tampa wins it's hard to deny he's the GOAT @ QB. If KC wins, we're looking at another potential legend in the making with Mahomes.

Last edited:
Come on, Hayden. You gotta love the funny commercials. (well, when they ARE funny)...it' the marketing guy in me. I watch less and less NFL as well, for similar reasons. I gave up on the NBA a long time ago...it's unwatchable.

I will tune in to the Super Bowl, mainly because of the historic angle w Brady. If Tampa wins it's hard to deny he's the GOAT @ QB. If KC wins, we're looking at another potential legend in the making with Mahomes.

The commercials have lost all meaning bince Bud Bowl disappeared.

From an outsider's perspective, I feel like it might be a question of fan fatigue because, on paper, the NFL has done just about everything right in terms of running a competitive and entertaining sports league. On the football side, I've always been an "Iowa fan" rather than a "football fan" mostly because, unlike basketball, I find the game of football to be, well, a little stupid. As such, I've never really developed more of a casual interest in the NFL. At my peak interest level, I watched a few full seasons of Broncos games during the Manning run.

From what I can tell:
- The level of play is incredibly high.
- An remarkable number of games are competitive - potential game winning drives in the last ~3 mins of the game almost seemed commonplace.
- The parity is crazy - if your team sucks, just wait a year.

I mean, on paper, as a sports fan what more could you ask for? As a college football/basketball, NBA, and F1 fan, I feel like each of those leagues/series could learn a thing or two from the NFL in those regards...yet, people do seem to be getting bored with it. Chocolate pie is really tasty, but if you eat it every day, it would start to be just like celery to you, I guess.

The Super Bowl hype gets to be a bit much. I feel like the consequence is people - from hardcore fans to the "I watch 1 football game a year" types - need the game to end 64-63 complete with crazy plays and controversial officiating to be deemed a "good game". A defensive battle or any game that isn't really, really close will be deemed "boring".

Just my observations.

From an outsider's perspective, I feel like it might be a question of fan fatigue because, on paper, the NFL has done just about everything right in terms of running a competitive and entertaining sports league. On the football side, I've always been an "Iowa fan" rather than a "football fan" mostly because, unlike basketball, I find the game of football to be, well, a little stupid. As such, I've never really developed more of a casual interest in the NFL. At my peak interest level, I watched a few full seasons of Broncos games during the Manning run.

From what I can tell:
- The level of play is incredibly high.
- An remarkable number of games are competitive - potential game winning drives in the last ~3 mins of the game almost seemed commonplace.
- The parity is crazy - if your team sucks, just wait a year.

I mean, on paper, as a sports fan what more could you ask for? As a college football/basketball, NBA, and F1 fan, I feel like each of those leagues/series could learn a thing or two from the NFL in those regards...yet, people do seem to be getting bored with it. Chocolate pie is really tasty, but if you eat it every day, it would start to be just like celery to you, I guess.

The Super Bowl hype gets to be a bit much. I feel like the consequence is people - from hardcore fans to the "I watch 1 football game a year" types - need the game to end 64-63 complete with crazy plays and controversial officiating to be deemed a "good game". A defensive battle or any game that isn't really, really close will be deemed "boring".

Just my observations.

The NFL's biggest problems are probably:

1- Too much content and constant hype; and
2 - the salary cap has made it so that every team basically has 6-8 really highly paid guys and then a bunch of guys on rookie contracts and a handful of mediocre veterans.

2 is probably the biggest problem because despite the incredibly high level of play that exists at the elite QB position, the WRs, the LT and the edge rushers, the rest of the level of play seems to have diminished over time.

And while there is parity and a team can go from 2-14 to 10-6 in a year, the hope of being able to win the Super Bowl without a top 5 QB is all but gone. The only path forward is to keep gambling on rookie QBs until you hit on one.

Of the major sports, the NBA is the only professional sport that is tough to watch for me. Maybe its due to the lack of Iowa players. I know the game is so different than 10, 15 + years ago but I think no Iowa players to root for has something to do with my lack of interest. And lack of an actual team concept.