FB & Presser Chat now Live

Good session with KF and great to see and hear Norm. KOK's doing a lot of talking but I'm not getting much out of what he's saying. He seems to have learned coach-speak from the captain pretty well. When his eyes dart around the room and he shifts at the table, I don't believe him.

Here is a sample from Ken:

why scoring drop last four games of B10 season

Good question. It took us a while to get going at times. We survived a bit on some big plays that made a big difference...were not as good in the red zone in those games than we had been previously. Since MSU. We couldnt get it going at times for one reason or another...we made enugh plays at certain points and not enough in the end, and we were not good in two minute by any means. We always talk about in every two minute drive there will be advertsity...could be a sack...you have to work through it like it never happened and overcome...we were never able to do that

I tend to give KOK the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I should change my tune.

What could he have said to make you feel better??

No coach on KF staff is going to blame a player. You expect him to say he called wrong plays?? Hell, Hayden would have screamed back at any reporter even suggesting that. KOK has more calm approach.

When asked about the end of the game errors, he more or less said they work on a two-minute exercise but said they didn't execute it very well.

Well, duh.

Why was that Ken? Did the players not know the plays? Did you not have the right personnel on the field? Was there a delay in getting the plays in from the sideline? Who managed (or mismanaged) the clock at the end of the half and the game this year?

they just didn't execute, seems like a good enough explanation to me. You want to know why they didn't execute, if he knew that they would have fixed it. Players didn't make it happen, coaches didn't make the right calls, breaks didn't go out our way.............combination of all of these things factored in my opinion.

No coach on KF staff is going to blame a player. You expect him to say he called wrong plays?? Hell, Hayden would have screamed back at any reporter even suggesting that. KOK has more calm approach.

There is nothing wrong with taking a little bit of ownership of the outcome of your work good or bad. Some people actually respect that.

I really wasn't looking for a "feel good" excuse. I was looking for an explanation and not some meandering repetition of the original question.

"Why did you suck?"
"Well, it's because we sucked"

That is pretty much what happened on that question. I understand that he won't throw a player under the bus but at least have a response to the question.

Hey Jeebus, dude, give it a rest. I'm not, in the least, interested in your prejudices against KOK.

Have you ever mused about Iowa's poor defensive performance to Parker; giving up leads late in games?

I'm interested in making Iowa a better team. I'm not sure what you're interested in.

Hey Jeebus, dude, give it a rest. I'm not, in the least, interested in your prejudices against KOK.

Have you ever mused about Iowa's poor defensive performance to Parker; giving up leads late in games?

I'm interested in making Iowa a better team. I'm not sure what you're interested in.

PLEASE STOP blaming the defense for losses. It is our offense that is not performing to their ability!

Yes, the opposing teams scored on us late, but you have to expect the offense to at least good enough to give the defense some time to rest. And scoring some points occasionally would sure help.

Good grief. Our defense is pretty damn good, and most teams in the country wish they had ours.

PLEASE STOP blaming the defense for losses. It is our offense that is not performing to their ability!

Yes, the opposing teams scored on us late, but you have to expect the offense to at least good enough to give the defense some time to rest. And scoring some points occasionally would sure help.

Good grief. Our defense is pretty damn good, and most teams in the country wish they had ours.

Ah jeeze, I've got to respond to this horsesh$#?

You make me laugh when you say Iowa's defense is pretty good. I will say this: both Iowa's defense and offense have problems.

Dude, you've got to understand something: Since Ferentz has been head coach, he's wanted a strong defense and an offense, like the one KOK runs, that "manages" the game. How do I know this? That's been Ferentz's MO since he's been head coach at Iowa.

Have you heard of the saying: (a great) defense wins championships? I believe in that. If you have to whine about an offense not putting up enough points, you don't have a great defense - you don't have a defense that shoulders the responsibility of winning the game.
Let me give you an example of that: Alabama and tOSU had mediocre offenses and great defenses that led them to national championships.
This year, Alabama modernized its offense and made it more potent but they still lost more games than last year because its defense wasn't as dominant.

The way Iowa's defense performed this year, who's to say the defense wouldn't have given up another score in the time remaining after the offense scored?

This is a traditional problem for Iowa's defense - not a "this year we have weak linebackers" problem.
When will Iowa beat Northwestern or teams like Missouri or blowout Indiana? Never? Is that something we must put up with Parker's "great" defense? Must we always lose a close game to a spread running team like tOSU because their back runs around like a chicken with its head cut off until he breaks down the gaps of our defense - because their offense is so much more athletic than our defense?

You want to give the defense some rest? Duh, all they have to do is get a stop or a change of possession. Iowa's defense has a hard time getting off the field - unless the other's offense is a run-first offense. They also give away potential time of possession to the other's offense. They break more - they also give up big plays.

I agree, Iowa's offense needs work in the 2 minute drill. IMO, getting better receivers would go a way to fixing that problem - remember it's only been a couple of years that Iowa has had anything but a "basic" level pass offense to go with its time consuming running game.

Last edited:
Ah jeeze, I've got to respond to this horsesh$#?

You make me laugh when you say Iowa's defense is pretty good. I will say this: both Iowa's defense and offense have problems.

Dude, you've got to understand something: Since Ferentz has been head coach, he's wanted a strong defense and an offense, like the one KOK runs, that "manages" the game. How do I know this? That's been Ferentz's MO since he's been head coach at Iowa.

Have you heard of the saying: (a great) defense wins championships? I believe in that. If you have to whine about an offense not putting up enough points, you don't have a great defense - you don't have a defense that shoulders the responsibility of winning the game.
Let me give you an example of that: Alabama and tOSU had mediocre offenses and great defenses that led them to national championships.
This year, Alabama modernized its offense and made it more potent but they still lost more games than last year because its defense wasn't as dominant.

The way Iowa's defense performed this year, who's to say the defense wouldn't have given up another score in the time remaining after the offense scored?

This is a traditional problem for Iowa's defense - not a "this year we have weak linebackers" problem.
When will Iowa beat Northwestern or teams like Missouri or blowout Indiana? Never? Is that something we must put up with Parker's "great" defense? Must we always lose a close game to a spread running team like tOSU because their back runs around like a chicken with its head cut off until he breaks down the gaps of our defense - because their offense is so much more athletic than our defense?

You want to give the defense some rest? Duh, all they have to do is get a stop or a change of possession. Iowa's defense has a hard time getting off the field - unless the other's offense is a run-first offense. They also give away potential time of possession to the other's offense. They break more - they also give up big plays.

I agree, Iowa's offense needs work in the 2 minute drill. IMO, getting better receivers would go a way to fixing that problem - remember it's only been a couple of years that Iowa has had anything but a "basic" level pass offense to go with its time consuming running game.

Our D this year gave up just over 16pts/game. That's 3pts higher than the 2002 OSU NC team (just over 13pts/game) and 4pts higher than Bama's 2009 NC team (almost 12pts/game). I'd also hardly call Bama's offense "mediocre" last year as they averaged over 32pts/game. Iowa ranks 7th in total defense after 12 games and 49th in total offense. Not hard to see where the deficiency lies.
College Football - Statistics by Team - Rivals.com

Last edited:

Latest posts