Fant's Tweet

It's too bad some folks don't realize that the fact we are deep all across the Dline is a huge reason that they are as effective as they are all 4 quarters...It's not like a power forward in basketball we are talking about with playing time. It's totally different.

Those of us that remember just a few yrs ago when we had Clayborn, Ballard and that group of guys where they were really good too. For like 2.5 quarters and they all ran out of gas. Partially because we still played a similar style and put a lot of pressure on the D to win us games. Partially because they didn't rotate others in much.

Could AJ have played more? Oh absolutely I'm sure he could have played 10 more snaps a game no problem. But there's nothing to complain about here. It helped keep him and Hesse BOTH fresher and healthier all year long. There's a big difference between playing at close to 100% energy and health wise late in games then at 75% or less. Ask any offensive lineman that has to block them....

This is something we used to complain about legitimately back when we had no depth. Now we have fans bitching about having it and second guessing the coaches on what best way to split up the reps are. There's no pleasing everyone...
This is where I'm at. It's not like The other options are Moe, Larry or Curly.

Yeah, Kirk handed it to him. Fant didn't earn the opportunity to play at Iowa and score all those touchdowns or earn the 1st round NFL draft predictions. :rolleyes:

Yeah NF would have been waaaaaayyyyyyyy better off had he signed with the Huskers.

Yeah NF would have been waaaaaayyyyyyyy better off had he signed with the Huskers.

Iowa would have been Waaayyyy better off if they had an offensive coordinator and head coach who creatively used amazing talent, instead of sitting it on the bench because "the scheme doesn't accommodate this 'specialty' player".

It blows my mind that so many people on here think they have any inkling on what's best for AJ's development, and in fact, they think they know more than Kirk fing Ferentz. Come on meow!

I hope we have coaches that are capable of teaching stuff like that. Unless you think AJE is un-coachable?

Perhaps not everyone is as receptive to the coaching. Not all people are equal ya know. A great example of this is Amani Jones. I don't think there is alot of question that he is more athletic than any middle linebacker we had this year, and i would even venture a bet that he is more athletic than josey jewel. But it was obvious he wasn't ready this year to take on that role, and ya can't tell me KF and Parker cant coach middle linebacker.

Anthony Nelson and Matt Nelson brought the pain in the bowl game also and came out at times. Did NF bitch about that on twitter?

Perhaps not everyone is as receptive to the coaching. Not all people are equal ya know. A great example of this is Amani Jones. I don't think there is alot of question that he is more athletic than any middle linebacker we had this year, and i would even venture a bet that he is more athletic than josey jewel. But it was obvious he wasn't ready this year to take on that role, and ya can't tell me KF and Parker cant coach middle linebacker.

no, more than likely, Jones isn't playing because Kirk doesn't want him to succeed and there's 3 white kids from Iowa who haven't got their unis dirty yet.

This is where I'm at. It's not like The other options are Moe, Larry or Curly.
My guess is and I don't think this way so much because of the what ifs involved. But what I think those that are complaining about Fant and AJEs PT is that we are leaving something on the table for them to be contributing out there. They think well 10 more snaps and Fant would have 3 more catches or AJ would have another sack or 2. Or whatever. Well maybe... There's a grey line in the sand somewhere for sure. But it's easy for arm chair QBs to be trying to figure out what that is

He can walk it back all he wants but I am sure this is now in his file and will be used to evaluate him against others quality TE's.

Really? I can't imagine any TEs are even near the same ballpark as Fant other than Irv Jr., that kid from A&M and Hock. If Fant is better than those other guys in the combine, I see no reason not to take him. Teams have gotten burned on guys like Warren Sapp and Randy Moss over "character" and unless there's a credible shot that a guy is a total cancer or likely to be incarcerated, there's no freaking way you pass on him if he's the best out of a crew. Personally, I think Hock is the best out of the bunch if you want an actual TE, then Irv Jr. is next, but he and Hock are pretty close. I'd only take Fant if I was running a run and shoot offense and wanted the mismatch nightmare on the inside.

My guess is and I don't think this way so much because of the what ifs involved. But what I think those that are complaining about Fant and AJEs PT is that we are leaving something on the table for them to be contributing out there. They think well 10 more snaps and Fant would have 3 more catches or AJ would have another sack or 2. Or whatever. Well maybe... There's a grey line in the sand somewhere for sure. But it's easy for arm chair QBs to be trying to figure out what that is
For the record, I'd have played AJE more than Hesse. Sometimes the best way to learn and improve your game is with more PT. And I like Hesse. In today's world of RPO offense, AJE is better suited. And the term "arm chair QB" is just a derogatory term for a fan that voices an opinion that's unpopular.

AJ is a stud no doubt about it, but I personally think the way Iowa has handled our DL personnel just fine!!!!

For the record, I'd have played AJE more than Hesse. Sometimes the best way to learn and improve your game is with more PT. And I like Hesse. In today's world of RPO offense, AJE is better suited.
I'm not so sure about that honestly. Hesse is so smart and never seemed to over pursue plays. AJE is a bit of a bull in a china shop put his head down and charge kind of guy still. He is bigger stronger faster all those things for sure. But as far as dissecting plays like RPOs or screen passes where they leave him unblocked I think Hesse is great at that. Not that AJE won't be I just think the last 2 yrs Hesse is a little better at it.

AJ is a stud no doubt about it, but I personally think the way Iowa has handled our DL personnel just fine!!!!

I'm getting old and my memory is foggy, but I think I remember one game where the defense collapsed late where I think AJE wasn't on the field.

I'm not so sure about that honestly. Hesse is so smart and never seemed to over pursue plays. AJE is a bit of a bull in a china shop put his head down and charge kind of guy still. He is bigger stronger faster all those things for sure. But as far as dissecting plays like RPOs or screen passes where they leave him unblocked I think Hesse is great at that. Not that AJE won't be I just think the last 2 yrs Hesse is a little better at it.
He's gotta learn somehow and his talent is too great to keep him off the field, IMO. But that's how I'd handle it, personally. I've already said that I don't have a big problem with it. It's not anywhere near the Fant situation. Which I do have a problem with. I'm a fan of personal responsibility. As a coach, I believe it's my job to get players to play better, smarter, etc. In order to maximize their abilities. I'd probably consider it my personal failure that a player like AJE didn't have those issues corrected by the end of year 2. But I'm pretty hard on myself.
Well, "personal failure" might be a little harsh.

He's gotta learn somehow and his talent is too great to keep him off the field, IMO. But that's how I'd handle it, personally. I've already said that I don't have a big problem with it. It's not anywhere near the Fant situation. Which I do have a problem with. I'm a fan of personal responsibility. As a coach, I believe it's my job to get players to play better, smarter, etc. In order to maximize their abilities. I'd probably consider it my personal failure that a player like AJE didn't have those issues corrected by the end of year 2. But I'm pretty hard on myself.
Well, "personal failure" might be a little harsh.
Sure I get what your saying. Some guys are a little better at reading and reacting to plays then others and some just need to see more and more snaps of it to get it. It's tough to get better if your not doing it. And if AJE was on the field 5 more snaps a game then Hesse was I wouldn't be making a huge stink about that either. I suspect AJ will destroy the competition next yr and he'll be a top 5 NFL draft pick after that.. I mean what's that Bosa kid have he doesn't?

Latest posts