Fans could Kirk the finger

All bow to the mighty OOTH for changing Kirk with his secret weapon called incessant whining!

In all seriousness, Kirk changed because he realized what he was doing wasn't working. It took him awhile, but he deserves credit for changing. I'm going to enjoy every second of this special season instead of wallowing in the past.

images

M-Ma-My Mama says you better shut it up, hawkeyebob! I opened up a can o' whoopass and it changed things 'round here!

Bring back the days of the single-bar face-mask!

I think everyone from the very top brass to the casual fan deciding not to buy a new herky shirt this year had apart to play in this process. But in the center of it all is Kirk. Kirk changed because he wanted to change. He was unsatisfied with the product he was fielding and did something about it. A coach with his tenure and his ridiculously favorable contract could've stayed on, producing 7-5 seasons and ignoring the fans for as long as he pleased. There's no doubt that the fans were applying pressure and that had some influence but the whole thing starts and ends with Kirk looking into the mirror after the bowl game.

Well, having Wisconsin being in the midst of a down year after a coaching change and Pitt being our only really tough opponent doesn't hurt, either. Ultimately, I just think he has caught lightning in a bottle with the o-line and the LBs have spent their year getting torched and finally figured out lateral pursuit without overcommitting. Improved QB play has been a nice bonus, too. Ultimately, you keep a guy like Ferentz because you assume he will roll out a sick o-line a few times a decade and that alone will give us a nice team. After seeing Texas, Michigan, Florida and Tennessee all crater their programs to some degree over the past decade or so, I'm very leery to change coaches.

Wisconsin isn't in a down year, they will win 10 games again this year. They will win 7 B1G games this year. It just won't be good enough to win the west this year.

Ultimately, I just think he has caught lightning in a bottle with the o-line and the LBs have spent their year getting torched and finally figured out lateral pursuit without overcommitting. Improved QB play has been a nice bonus, too.
And running an actual halfback at halfback. The running game this year is so much better than the last three years. I love what I'm seeing from our RBs, Canzeri has been a stud and Wadley's game vs NW was incredible.

Really? Your "beloved" hawks are 7-0, ranked 12th in the country and you find the negatives. Good for you. Good for you.

We are very happy with the start. I think after the NW game, I'm starting to believe in this team. We've had many things go against us that normally would destroy any team (look at 2012 when we lost our two OL against PSU...we didn't win another game)

It's human nature to reflect on what could have been. With sports it's no different.

It's all hindsight, and what could have been.....

If we just adjust a few things here and there, and let's be honest the 2015 Hawks aren't THAT much different than years past....maybe we don't lose to ISU, MN, and MAC schools over the past six to seven years. How much more fondly do we look at KF and his staff that instead of 6 win seasons during a "down" year, we're 8 wins

It's completely 100% accurate that he ONLY changed because he felt the heat, and our team was embarrassing last season. And of course KF will say things like "CJ has grown at least five years this year...." which is only to cover the fact he should have been starting last season. Maybe CJ was a bit rougher last year, but his playmaking ability is not something the staff taught him.

Anyway, glad the Hawks are back to playing smashmouth football. It would be nice if our offense could improve a little more....cause with this defense and special teams....I don't think any team in the big10 would handle us easily.

Well, having Wisconsin being in the midst of a down year after a coaching change and Pitt being our only really tough opponent doesn't hurt, either. Ultimately, I just think he has caught lightning in a bottle with the o-line and the LBs have spent their year getting torched and finally figured out lateral pursuit without overcommitting. Improved QB play has been a nice bonus, too. Ultimately, you keep a guy like Ferentz because you assume he will roll out a sick o-line a few times a decade and that alone will give us a nice team. After seeing Texas, Michigan, Florida and Tennessee all crater their programs to some degree over the past decade or so, I'm very leery to change coaches.

LOL . . . all the players just coincidentally improved and figured out their assignments in the year when the word "hot-seat" was thrown around more than ever. That is the silliest thing I've read on this site. I think you've bought into Brian Griese's proclamation that there is some magic metronome that makes Iowa good every half-decade.

Kirk was forced to changed. Kirk was forced to name CJ the starter. Loss off ticket sales has caused these wins.

if Kirk had his way Jake would be running his conservative style of small ball.

Bunch of you wanted to believe it's the state of Iowas fault.

change has been forced and this proves that kirks way has been wrong.

do you Kirk fans think that Greg and Kirk figured out how to be good coaches all on their own this summer?

kirk should be sorry he didn't change sooner.

TERRIBLE post and thread. TERRIBLE. You are one that sits around and complains about everything all the time aren't you.

We are very happy with the start. I think after the NW game, I'm starting to believe in this team. We've had many things go against us that normally would destroy any team (look at 2012 when we lost our two OL against PSU...we didn't win another game)

It's human nature to reflect on what could have been. With sports it's no different.

It's all hindsight, and what could have been.....

If we just adjust a few things here and there, and let's be honest the 2015 Hawks aren't THAT much different than years past....maybe we don't lose to ISU, MN, and MAC schools over the past six to seven years. How much more fondly do we look at KF and his staff that instead of 6 win seasons during a "down" year, we're 8 wins

It's completely 100% accurate that he ONLY changed because he felt the heat, and our team was embarrassing last season. And of course KF will say things like "CJ has grown at least five years this year...." which is only to cover the fact he should have been starting last season. Maybe CJ was a bit rougher last year, but his playmaking ability is not something the staff taught him.

Anyway, glad the Hawks are back to playing smashmouth football. It would be nice if our offense could improve a little more....cause with this defense and special teams....I don't think any team in the big10 would handle us easily.

To me, CJ looks almost the exact same as he looked last year. Make a few bad throws, make a few good throws, then make a play that looks NFL worthy.

I don't believe for a second the fan base had anything to do with the turnaround. Not saying being on the hot seat wasn't an issue, but based on the argument that KF was too stubborn to change before, why would we think as a fan base that we had anything to do with this? It just doesn't make sense to me. KF's always done things his way. If he finally realized that more aggressive play was needed, then I think he came to terms with it with the help of his staff and players. I don't think the fan base had anything to do with it.

I should add that I think the fact CJ took over the reigns gave KF the opportunity to do things that he couldn't have with a typical pocket passer. Just my opinion, but I think he knew what he had under center gave him the opportunity to open things up. I simply don't think the fans had anything to do with it.

The difference between this year and last has less to do with the quarterback change, and more to do with the very much improved running game and defense. Frankly, the last few weeks CJ has been mediocre, but maybe that's partially due to being slowed by injuries.

I'm just going to enjoy being 7-0! Lol

That's all that needs to be said. No one thought they'd be here. There's an excellent chance this season turns out as something that would have sounded crazy in April. Still, my guess is even that will be a huge disappointment to most now. Undefeated conference champs would be awesome. My guess is that something like 10-2 is more likely. Let's hope that doesn't happen though because, sadly, it is now a fail. I'm just enjoying 7-0 on a bye week with a great chance to go a totally unexpected 8-0 against Maryland at home. Beyond that, God help 'em. Undefeated seasons are rare because they require a lot of good fortune even for teams that sit 4 star recruits 3 deep on the bench. Let's hope the Hawks can do it but, if they do, don't forget to buy that lottery ticket or you'll being kicking yourself even if they win the playoff.

Oogy or goofy or toothy or, whatever. Get over yourself. Yep, your complaining and ******** and threatening did the trick. Thanks. Now bedtime.

Latest posts