Fake injuries

DeereHawk75

I was watching the Texas-LSU game and there were multiple instances of questionable "injuries" by LSU players. Not nearly as obvious as the Michigan St. fake injuries from years back versus Iowa, but it did make me think of a potential rule change I would like to see. That change would be that a player who is injured on a play and is removed from the game cannot re-enter the game until there is a change of possession. I really believe this would be a good change, and would stop the fakers. If a player really needs to be off the field, it gives them adequate time to be evaluated. I wonder what others think.

I was watching the Texas-LSU game and there were multiple instances of questionable "injuries" by LSU players. Not nearly as obvious as the Michigan St. fake injuries from years back versus Iowa, but it did make me think of a potential rule change I would like to see. That change would be that a player who is injured on a play and is removed from the game cannot re-enter the game until there is a change of possession. I really believe this would be a good change, and would stop the fakers. If a player really needs to be off the field, it gives them adequate time to be evaluated. I wonder what others think.

It might be a step in the right direction but I'm not sure it's a clear enough rule. I mean what if the game is on the line and your star QB gets the wind knocked out of him?

Maybe add to your rule that if you want the player to be able to return that possession you must burn a timeout?

I dunno what can be done tbh if anything really. I will say it was hot AF down there so cramps could be more than viable

It might be a step in the right direction but I'm not sure it's a clear enough rule. I mean what if the game is on the line and your star QB gets the wind knocked out of him?

Maybe add to your rule that if you want the player to be able to return that possession you must burn a timeout?
Any rule that would give a team even a slight disadvantage for an injury occurring would never fly. It would open the NCAA up to lawsuits and kids saying they felt pressure to play through injuries.

Any rule that would give a team even a slight disadvantage for an injury occurring would never fly. It would open the NCAA up to lawsuits and kids saying they felt pressure to play through injuries.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean already they DO have to come out for at least 1 play. So there's already precedent for forcing them out of the game when injured for a period of time.

On top of that the NCAA would defend themselves by saying if a player is injured they want them to sit out a possession to ensure there's no lagging injury. Its actually pro-player safety if you want to spin it that way.

Saw it again last night in the Notre Dame/Georgia game. The announcers made the comment that an unsportsmanlike call could be made. I doubt that has ever been called. It's really annoying when a team is driving and the game stops for the fake injury.

They should focus on the "collapsing" injury. Notre Dame had one the other night where the defender was walking back to their side of the line of scrimmage, bumped into the QB, then dropped like he got hit by a car.

You get hurt or wind knocked out of you during a tackle and stay down, then take the 1 play sit out and come back in. You drop down 30 seconds after the play to keep the other team from running another play, then I agree that should be a longer sit out than 1 play.

Solid idea.

They should focus on the "collapsing" injury. Notre Dame had one the other night where the defender was walking back to their side of the line of scrimmage, bumped into the QB, then dropped like he got hit by a car.

You get hurt or wind knocked out of you during a tackle and stay down, then take the 1 play sit out and come back in. You drop down 30 seconds after the play to keep the other team from running another play, then I agree that should be a longer sit out than 1 play.
There's not a defensive coordinator in CFB who doesn't teach that. Even if its minor, you go down. Not only to stop the clock, but also remove any chance of getting 12 men on the field getting caught out of position.

Problem is that will lead to players arguing they were coerced into playing through injury.

Fake injuries really aren't that serious of an issue anymore, and it's a case where everyone and their mother are participating anyways.

Yea, there were a couple good points after I read down the thread.

You could make players that call injury time out sit out for more than 1 play. I mean, gee, if you are hurt, get yourself better.

Problem is that will lead to players arguing they were coerced into playing through injury.

Fake injuries really aren't that serious of an issue anymore, and it's a case where everyone and their mother are participating anyways.

All the more reason to make them sit until possession change...

If you don't think it's a significant problem in college football, you didn't watch many games this past weekend. In one game I was surfing through, a guy was walking normally when a player from his own team came behind him and presumably told him to go down, put his hands on the guys shoulders, and the guy suddenly slumps down like he's having a heart attack. Terrible. The proposal at the start of this thread is sound. They already have rules requiring players to sit out 1 play if injured -- making it until a change of possession simply extends it 'for player safety'. The only problem I see is that guys could try to circumvent it by slipping their shoe off and limping slowly off the field, and then being allowed to return immediately to the game because of an equipment malfunction. We'd suddenly have a bunch of loose shoes slowing down games. But it's something the NCAA really needs to address.

Saw it again last night in the Notre Dame/Georgia game. The announcers made the comment that an unsportsmanlike call could be made. I doubt that has ever been called. It's really annoying when a team is driving and the game stops for the fake injury.

Require proof they have been checked out and clear to play. Probably need at least x-rays. After all the NCAA is concerned with the student athlete and surly wouldn't want to let them play without proper clearance, just like you need to even be able to suit up and start the game.
Or use some common sense. If clock is at all an issue. So, the last 3-4 minutes of any quarter, they sit out the rest of the quarter.
Any other time, they sit out a play.

Require proof they have been checked out and clear to play. Probably need at least x-rays. After all the NCAA is concerned with the student athlete and surly wouldn't want to let them play without proper clearance, just like you need to even be able to suit up and start the game.
Or use some common sense. If clock is at all an issue. So, the last 3-4 minutes of any quarter, they sit out the rest of the quarter.
Any other time, they sit out a play.
Like has been mentioned several times, all this would do is encourage playing through injuries which is 100% not what the NCAA wants. You think they have lawsuits hangin' out there now, wait till you go and do something crazy like that.

Injury timeouts have always been part of football, and at the college level they always will be because they're "students" first. You think James Franklin pressures players now, wait till his starting DE has to come out for the rest of the quarter because he cramped up on the field.

Both LSU and MSU have faked injuries against us, as well as Notre Dame.
Ancient Football was notorious for faking injury when out of time outs.
ND was nicknamed the “Fainting Irish in ‘53.

#1 ND vs. Iowa —Faked an injury with 2 seconds to stop the clock at end of 1st half and scored a TD to even game at 7-7.

Iowa up 14-7 with 20 seconds in game and two Fainting Irish went down at the same time to stop the clock. Scored again.

I remember as a kid my dad talking about that game and the cheating Irish.

Latest posts