Face reality: The business has changed

FreddyBrown

I feel some sympathy for Todd Lickliter only in the sense that he feels defeated and probably feels like he was wronged. However, the harsh reality is that he had the worst coaching record in the long and relatively proud history of Iowa basketball, and a team from which some of the best talent was continually being lost transfer.

But here's the real bottom line: Those who say we shouldn't be focused on how much a coach makes are missing a very key point. Coaching salaries are as high as they are in part because these jobs carry a fair amount of risk that coincides with very, very high rewards. One of the risks that is greater now than ever, and will only become more so as salaries continue to escalate, is that you won't get a long time to prove yourself. The tradeoff for bearing that risk, which almost every coaching contract now incorporates in one way or another, is that if you do get fired other than for cause (very narrowly defined, at that), you end up getting a substantial percentage of your salary for the balance of the contract, free and clear and without regard to what you might earn elsewhere.

In Todd Lickliter's case, that is enough money that if he didn't want to, he probably wouldn't have to work another day in his life.

Also worth noting is that there is nothing on Todd Lickliter's contract that would have prevented him from walking away from this job to take another without any penalty whatsoever. So, in many respects, the deal is very one-sided in favor of the coach.

This is the deal he made: Iowa has the right to terminate him without cause at any time, and in exchange he accepts $2.4 million over the next three years. The standard is evolving in college sports, and not surprisingly so, that there are no guarantees that a university won't sit and wait several years for results, when the stakes are that high on both sides.

If what has been reported about what Barta learned in player meetings is true, I think Lickliter's termination was warranted regardless of how much he makes, how much he will be paid in severance, or how long he'd been on the job. But no matter what the circumstances, Iowa is simply acting in accordance with the deal it make with Coach Lickliter, and he has to live with it, too.

And live rather well, I might add.

Just think what will happen if Lick goes to another program and make it successful. With Alford and then Lick.....what would that do to our program?

Just think what will happen if Lick goes to another program and make it successful. With Alford and then Lick.....what would that do to our program?

Absolutely nothing.

What matters is that is hasn't worked here, and what matters is what the next guy does here.

I wish Lick the best and won't be surprised if he lands another job and ends up near the top of some mid-major conference again down the road. I would say that if I'm an AD at such a school, before hiring him I'd want to take a close look at why he's no longer coaching at Iowa.

Great post Freddy, you made some very good points. This is the sports world that we live in now. As much as it sucks for Lick at the moment, he will never have a financial worry the rest of his life.

Absolutely nothing.

What matters is that is hasn't worked here, and what matters is what the next guy does here.

I wish Lick the best and won't be surprised if he lands another job and ends up near the top of some mid-major conference again down the road. I would say that if I'm an AD at such a school, before hiring him I'd want to take a close look at why he's no longer coaching at Iowa.

Because his system, recruiting, and coaching style are better fit for mid-major school than for the Big Ten. That's all that matters, and that's why he didn't succeed here: he just didn't end up fitting in.

The only thing that makes me unsure is that LIck is a good guy. He's not like Alford who was disliked by many in the area and had an ego the size of Texas.

I feel some sympathy for Todd Lickliter only in the sense that he feels defeated and probably feels like he was wronged. However, the harsh reality is that he had the worst coaching record in the long and relatively proud history of Iowa basketball, and a team from which some of the best talent was continually being lost transfer.

But here's the real bottom line: Those who say we shouldn't be focused on how much a coach makes are missing a very key point. Coaching salaries are as high as they are in part because these jobs carry a fair amount of risk that coincides with very, very high rewards. One of the risks that is greater now than ever, and will only become more so as salaries continue to escalate, is that you won't get a long time to prove yourself. The tradeoff for bearing that risk, which almost every coaching contract now incorporates in one way or another, is that if you do get fired other than for cause (very narrowly defined, at that), you end up getting a substantial percentage of your salary for the balance of the contract, free and clear and without regard to what you might earn elsewhere.

In Todd Lickliter's case, that is enough money that if he didn't want to, he probably wouldn't have to work another day in his life.

Also worth noting is that there is nothing on Todd Lickliter's contract that would have prevented him from walking away from this job to take another without any penalty whatsoever. So, in many respects, the deal is very one-sided in favor of the coach.

This is the deal he made: Iowa has the right to terminate him without cause at any time, and in exchange he accepts $2.4 million over the next three years. The standard is evolving in college sports, and not surprisingly so, that there are no guarantees that a university won't sit and wait several years for results, when the stakes are that high on both sides.

If what has been reported about what Barta learned in player meetings is true, I think Lickliter's termination was warranted regardless of how much he makes, how much he will be paid in severance, or how long he'd been on the job. But no matter what the circumstances, Iowa is simply acting in accordance with the deal it make with Coach Lickliter, and he has to live with it, too.

And live rather well, I might add.

FANTASTIC post! I feel bad for Coach, but Iowa Basketball must move on.

Latest posts