External Report Looking into Racial Bias in Iowa Football Released

Sorry. I'll try to be more active on here later today. I wanted to read the report closely before the 1 p.m. press conference with KF and GB.

Here's the live stream:

LINK

It’s not as though they didn’t do their jobs, it’s just that it had already became public. If someone comes along and writes a book about WW2 I’m not going to discredit them because there’s nothing in the book I didn’t already consume previously. This is the 3rd party view we haven’t gotten in summation.
My issue is that the three more specific reports haven't been made public. Therefore they are toothless and a complete waste of time and money.

The admin at UoI is free to do whatever they want, even if it contradicts the recommendations of those three reports because no one will ever be able to hold their feet to the fire.

Let's play hypotheticals for a minute. Let's say that the investigators found that Brian severely abused his influence, and was found to have been racially biased. I'm not arguing whether he's guilty or not, but for this instance let's assume he was found guilty of that. Let's also say that the investigators recommended removing him from his duties because of it, how on earth does have any effect whatsoever? Unless the rest of the investigation becomes public, how are we to believe that the U is following any of the recommendations other than the generic, "Do a better job" statement?

That's why I'm saying this whole thing was a complete waste of time and money. All they provided the public (this is a public school) is information we already knew. They're just really really expensive news reporters.

They gave the public no specific recommendations, no specific information, and no specific plan.

If the rest of those reports are released (fat chance), then it'd be something valid and useful.

Last edited:
It’s not as though they didn’t do their jobs, it’s just that it had already became public. If someone comes along and writes a book about WW2 I’m not going to discredit them because there’s nothing in the book I didn’t already consume previously. This is the 3rd party view we haven’t gotten in summation.
Yup which is how it was always going to go. Unless they spoke to new players or got new stories from kids or assistant coaches this was all it was ever going to be.

I would be really curious to hear from other assistant coaches. What'd they see/over hear? What'd they do if anything etc etc etc. Doyle isn't the only strength coach he has a team of 5 or more guys I think too that woulda heard most of all he'd have said and done too. Put those guys on the record too. Maybe they were too and I hadn't heard. But I'd be curious why they'd choose not to if they did that

My issue is that the three more specific reports haven't been made public. Therefore they are toothless and a complete waste of time and money.

The admin at UoI is free to do whatever they want, even if it contradicts the recommendations of those three reports because no one will ever be able to hold their feet to the fire.

Let's play hypotheticals for a minute. Let's say that the investigators found that Brian severely abused his influence, and was found to have been racially biased. I'm not arguing whether he's guilty or not, but for this instance let's assume he was found guilty of that. Let's also say that the investigators recommended removing him from his duties because of it, how on earth does have any effect whatsoever? Unless the rest of the investigation becomes public, how are we to believe that the U is following any of the recommendations other than the generic, "Do a better job" statement?

That's why I'm saying this whole thing was a complete waste of time and money. All they provided the public (this is a public school) is information they already knew. They're just really really expensive news reporters.

They gave the public no specific recommendations, no specific information, and no specific plan.

If the rest of those reports are released (fat chance), then it'd be something valid and useful.

I wasn’t aware there were 3 reports. Do you know what they are, and why they wouldn’t be made public? Is it possible the report released today was compilation of the 3 reports?

There is only one question that remains.

Why would Iowa keep Ferentz (both)?

It's time to move on from this tired old school football mentality and bring in some excitement.

I wasn’t aware there were 3 reports. Do you know what they are, and why they wouldn’t be made public? Is it possible the report released today was compilation of the 3 reports?
There are actually four. @okeefe4prez quoted it first.

Capture.jpg

One is the report we just read, and the other three will probably never go beyond the walls of the U.

The Iowa Open Records Law contains the following exception to disclosure:

"11. a. Personal information in confidential personnel records of government bodies relating to identified or identifiable individuals who are officials, officers, or employees of the government bodies"

By bifurcating the report, the school gets around its compelled release under the law so that nothing about The Brain will get divulged unless the school decides to divulge it.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/22.pdf

There are actually four. @okeefe4prez quoted it first.

Capture.jpg

One is the report we just read, and the other three will probably never go beyond the walls of the U.

I read it as there being 4 separate "personnel reports." So I think the total deliverable here was 5 reports (including the disclosed report).

The Iowa Open Records Law contains the following exception to disclosure:

"11. a. Personal information in confidential personnel records of government bodies relating to identified or identifiable individuals who are officials, officers, or employees of the government bodies"

By bifurcating the report, the school gets around its compelled release under the law so that nothing about The Brain will get divulged unless the school decides to divulge it.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/22.pdf
"Identifiable" has been used as a catchall for decades to shut just about everything down that they (not just Iowa gov't) want shut down. Not only is it a loosely defined term/concept, there's a whole other level of interpretation by the reader as to what information makes someone identifiable.

You can't use the "average Joe" standard because even though the average Joe walking around the street wouldn't be able to tell you who the OC at Iowa is, folks like us could pick him out of the report even if it was redacted just because of how closely we follow Iowa football.

There is only one question that remains.

Why would Iowa keep Ferentz (both)?

It's time to move on from this tired old school football mentality and bring in some excitement.

So you expect a State University in a state that is 90% white and 3.51% black, and a University administration that mirrors the state racial demographics, to remove a respected 21 year football coach with a history of running a clean program, winning, and being a positive influence in the community. Ok...it's not happening.

There are obviously racial issues with the Iowa Football program that are extremely disappointing. Kirk Ferentz owns and is responsible for everything that goes on in that building. He's completely at fault and there should be no plausible deniability for him. He let the program, the fans, and especially all the black players down. He has to live with that. What I will tell you is that I feel he's stepping up and taking responsibility like a leader should. He's acknowledging it and working to implement change. The other aspect that is a huge problem is black grad rates...it's appalling. He needs to vow to change that also.

My take on this from the beginning is that KF has earned the right to fix it. I think you can point to enough positives to confirm that direction. The fact that the majority of former players support him staying...should tell you all you need to know.

I hope Rob FOIA requests the bill. I want to see that shit.

That is the deal in why are not these other four reports in the sunshine?? They were paid for with public tax dollars as really everything the Univ does is a function of the public university. Let's see these reports and I do not want to hear any bullshit about privacy rights. These people are working for a public university and making big bucks. If they are not acting correctly we need to know and have a right to know from a civil rights point of view if not more.

That's why I'm saying this whole thing was a complete waste of time and money. All they provided the public (this is a public school) is information we already knew. They're just really really expensive news reporters.

Unless the whole shabang is shown in the light of day it will always be considered a coverup. That is just Conspiracy Theory 101. I dont want this shadowy crap hanging over the program.

For example, Hillary would have been president if when her private email server was discovered she did the whole mea culpa, said she didnt know it was a wrong thing to do, apologized profusely, said hardly any Govt work was done on it, that Govt inspectors looked at the server and there were no breeches of security, the server was wiped clean, then the server was burned at 2,000 degrees, then the server was shot into space on a secret trajectory into the sun.

When will people learn to tell the truth right away and not squirm around until the shit hits the fan like it almost always does.

My guesses on the subjects of the four personnel reports not released:

Kirk Ferentz
Brian Ferentz
Chris Doyle
Seth Wallace

You mean the sky isn’t falling and the program has a future? This will disappoint some including our competitors and even some Hawk fans who thought some coaches would be fired.

Time to move on with change and building an even stronger program.

I am pretty much dead inside so this comes down to wins and losses. Either KF continues to win 8+ games a year and put kids in the NFL, which will translate into him becoming this beacon of enlightenment, a symbol of progress and change. Or the program craters and everyone will say discipline and structure was compromised to appease black players.

Neither are 100% accurate, but that seems like the road we are heading down.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I thought the report would say.

Nothing will happen. It is over. Doyle was the scape goat. BF gets to continue on with his Iowa career until Barta is gone.

Hope KF does really change the program. I was watching the new part of Last Chance U that just dropped and the HC was chewing ass and then they cut to a younger black coach who made a comment about new school coaching and old school coaching. I thought of Iowa.

Latest posts