(Expletive Deleted) Coaches Who Try To Exploit The Rules

eyekwah

I'm still upset with the tactics that West Virginia's coach employed on Monday night. He harmed to the growth of women's basketball by turning it into a turnover foul fest on the national stage. He is another Bob Huggins coach from West Virginia. As an older sport fan I remember a number of changes caused by coaches that made it difficult to watch basketball. Look at the history behind the shot clock. There wasn't one and some coaches would often use it against teams that they were far inferior to by milking the clock without even attempting to score. Finally, the shot clock was added but the initial time was 45 seconds before going to 30 second if I remember correctly.

West Virginia women had a number of games where they greatly exceeded the fouls made by their opponents and significantly shot fewer free throws. In the women's game once you exceed 5 team fouls in a quarter the opponent shoot 2 free throws for each subsequent foul. Over four quarters a team could commit 20 fouls using a physical style of play. I'm asking what would discourage using physical play when you are the inferior team? I'm going to suggest that once a team exceeds 20 total fouls the opponent is awarded 3 free throws for each foul and given possession of the ball after the free throw attempts. What would you do to neutralize coaches that abuse the spirit of the game?

I have long been frustrated that basketball has transitioned from a finesse based, highly skilled contest to a slug fest, where traveling no longer exists, lane violations are almost never called, carrying the ball is ok, and watching players “back in” for position which is an offensive foul in my book delivers true boredom to the game. The upside is the opportunity to yell at the incompetence of modern officials. Yahoo!

I'm still upset with the tactics that West Virginia's coach employed on Monday night. He harmed to the growth of women's basketball by turning it into a turnover foul fest on the national stage. He is another Bob Huggins coach from West Virginia. As an older sport fan I remember a number of changes caused by coaches that made it difficult to watch basketball. Look at the history behind the shot clock. There wasn't one and some coaches would often use it against teams that they were far inferior to by milking the clock without even attempting to score. Finally, the shot clock was added but the initial time was 45 seconds before going to 30 second if I remember correctly.

West Virginia women had a number of games where they greatly exceeded the fouls made by their opponents and significantly shot fewer free throws. In the women's game once you exceed 5 team fouls in a quarter the opponent shoot 2 free throws for each subsequent foul. Over four quarters a team could commit 20 fouls using a physical style of play. I'm asking what would discourage using physical play when you are the inferior team? I'm going to suggest that once a team exceeds 20 total fouls the opponent is awarded 3 free throws for each foul and given possession of the ball after the free throw attempts. What would you do to neutralize coaches that abuse the spirit of the game?

I don't have a solution. I can't say if yours is right or wrong. I do wonder if this is typical kind of play in other conferences. If it is, I'm glad the Big 10 isn't. I didn't see this kind of play from any of the non conference games Iowa played. I've seen plenty of teams play Iowa aggressively, but not to the point where they seem careless about being called. Maybe a little bit in later rounds last year.

Both HC and WV just didn't care. They knew what they were doing. Other than the fact it was close, it was a boring game.

My solution is to lean more towards simply calling fouls when they occur. Clearly the officials met at half time and said "we gotta start calling these fouls to keep things in hand". Such a stark difference in the halves. Which means they were either intentionally not calling fouls or were incapable of seeing them. Either way is bad. And again, the inconsistency was way worse for WV.

I've said it over and over. It's just like NHL's disparity in regular season officiating and post season officiating. They wanted a better game with more hockey and less grubby play. Then when they had eyeballs in the playoffs, they supported the big dirty hits and grubby play because that's what they thought casual fans wanted. They've stopped this and hockey is so much better.

The Professional Lacrosse League? Way worse. All of lax is trying to promote the "founder's game". Highlight it's spiritual roots and fair play. To attract moms and dads to a sport that carries a lot of connotations. And clean up the game so that parents and players don't make it harder to attract officials willing to put up with the massive quantities of BS. And yet, the PLL? 99% of all their social media posts are clips celebrating massive "hits" instead of the outright artistry of some of these amazing talents some of these players have.

Solution? I think you're right about the fact that with quarters, that reset on going into the bonus every 10 minutes is nice. You could run your deep bench out there with the explicit intent at racking up 5 fouls with no threat to your starters and a reset just a few minutes off. But I really don't know enough to suggest a fix. Other than CALL FOULS. Just call them. And do it consistently.

I have long been frustrated that basketball has transitioned from a finesse based, highly skilled contest to a slug fest, where traveling no longer exists, lane violations are almost never called, carrying the ball is ok, and watching players “back in” for position which is an offensive foul in my book delivers true boredom to the game. The upside is the opportunity to yell at the incompetence of modern officials. Yahoo!

That's a huge part of the appeal of women's basketball for me. It's way more familiar to me as the game I played and was taught to play in my limited experience. Just way way way better. MLB is exactly the same game as I played. Hockey...football...just higher skill. Men's basketball does not compute for me.

Watch out! Fry will accuse you of playing basketball when it included a jump ball after each bucket. And, being able to fold up your football helmet and put it in your pocket. I say, bring back the single wing!

Latest posts