Explanation for No Rudock

I've heard this as well, but don't understand why they don't pull him for a series or two so he can watch from the sidelines. What ever they have tried to do to reinstill his confidence isn't working so far.

Time stands still for great players in the heat of the game. It's in fast forward for him currently.

I think this is absolutely true. The game has not slowed down for JVB, nor do I think it will for him at this point. Feels phantom pressure, terrible on timing routes, terrible mechanics and getting worse, overall horrible pocket presence, etc. The game is too fast for JVB. He has lost confidence and has trouble reading blitzes, identifying favorable matchups, incorrect audibles (see Hawkeyegamefilm's twitter feed from last few games if you don't trust your own eyes)...

I have played sports for the last 35 years. I know that there are players in every sport at all levels that are great/legendary practice players... ranger rick type guys. Guys that consistently day after day never miss a shot on the golf range but can't take it to the course. Then there are guys that are just flat-out gamers. Not great practice players, but make plays in game situations.

The other thing that I have noticed in my years is that no amount of coaching can fix JVB's problems at this point of his career. Maybe a sports psychologist, but not a coach. Usually best to move on... find out if you have backups that are gamers.

We do know that Ferentz has a history of going “all in” on his starters, until it is painfully obvious it ain’t workin’. I suspect they put all their eggs in one basket. The circumstance is you've got a new offensive coordinator who is trying to fast track a new offensive system for the next season. From fall practice onward, Vandenberg their fifth year senior, looked good enough in practice to be their man. They figured that with enough effort they could get Vandenberg over the hump with his nervousness and other issues. So they went in 100 percent on Vandenberg playing with the first team, and put the other QB's on the long development track.

But it doesn't make sense, if Rudock is really that far behind that he would be a complete disaster on the field then it makes sense to get JVB out of the game when you're down 38 and minus two starting OL to ensure that JVB won't suffer an injury during meaningless garbage time.

You be right!! There is absolutely NO reason why JVB hasn't been pulled for a series or 2 in more than just this game.

If not Jake put in Weinke. It may settle JVB down.... relax him OR fire his arse up.

It could not be any WORSE. When it doesn't frickin work try something else!

I think this is absolutely true. The game has not slowed down for JVB, nor do I think it will for him at this point. Feels phantom pressure, terrible on timing routes, terrible mechanics and getting worse, overall horrible pocket presence, etc. The game is too fast for JVB. He has lost confidence and has trouble reading blitzes, identifying favorable matchups, incorrect audibles (see Hawkeyegamefilm's twitter feed from last few games if you don't trust your own eyes)...

I have played sports for the last 35 years. I know that there are players in every sport at all levels that are great/legendary practice players... ranger rick type guys. Guys that consistently day after day never miss a shot on the golf range but can't take it to the course. Then there are guys that are just flat-out gamers. Not great practice players, but make plays in game situations.

The other thing that I have noticed in my years is that no amount of coaching can fix JVB's problems at this point of his career. Maybe a sports psychologist, but not a coach. Usually best to move on... find out if you have backups that are gamers.

Being here in Austin for most of the past 15 years I can give you a perfect football example of that, Major Applewhite vs Chris Simms. Chris had all the physical tools, was great in practice, had the rankings, and he ended up putting Applewhite on the bench. Problem was that he couldn't win the big game and would make too many mistakes in games before Applewhite would come in and lead the team to a comeback win, but next week Simms would be starting again. Of course there is also the persistent rumor that Chris' daddy was the reason he was starting over Applewhite.

At least Coach Kill at Minny recognized that Shortell wasn't the answer at QB and took the redshirt off of his true Freshman so that he could prepare for the future. Even with Marquis Gray now healthy he started the true Freshman and moved Gray back to WR.

This season is lost. With the offense playing the way it is I can't see the Hawks winning any more games. Ruddock needs to be in there to at least prepare for a backup roll next season if Sokol is really that good.

Heck, I'd take Tin Pantz at QB right now over JV. Although he would probably be yanked for not following the orders of the coaching staff.

Being here in Austin for most of the past 15 years I can give you a perfect football example of that, Major Applewhite vs Chris Simms. Chris had all the physical tools, was great in practice, had the rankings, and he ended up putting Applewhite on the bench. Problem was that he couldn't win the big game and would make too many mistakes in games before Applewhite would come in and lead the team to a comeback win, but next week Simms would be starting again. Of course there is also the persistent rumor that Chris' daddy was the reason he was starting over Applewhite.

At least Coach Kill at Minny recognized that Shortell wasn't the answer at QB and took the redshirt off of his true Freshman so that he could prepare for the future. Even with Marquis Gray now healthy he started the true Freshman and moved Gray back to WR.

This season is lost. With the offense playing the way it is I can't see the Hawks winning any more games. Ruddock needs to be in there to at least prepare for a backup roll next season if Sokol is really that good.

The season is NOT lost but given the up-coming schedule and match-ups it could be. Agree completely with you... give Jaske some REPS, give Weinke some reps... anyone please, this week no matter what!!

Yep... Drew Henson and Tom Brady is another glaring example.

Ok, so what if Ruddock sucks in practice. Some guys just need to be on the field in a game to shine. Besides, as was mentioned, if JVB is the answer then you pull him to save from injury. If he's not the answer, then you pull him to get reps to EITHER Ruddock or Sokol. The point is: JVB HAD NO BUSINESS BEING IN THE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER!!!

Ok, so what if Ruddock sucks in practice. Some guys just need to be on the field in a game to shine. Besides, as was mentioned, if JVB is the answer then you pull him to save from injury. If he's not the answer, then you pull him to get reps to EITHER Ruddock or Sokol. The point is: JVB HAD NO BUSINESS BEING IN THE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER!!!

Neither did ARob against Mich. St. We all know how that eventually played out.

Maybe KF is just an idiot in-game coach. Maybe like JVB, the game is just too fast for him.

Latest posts