Explainable, Unexplainable, and Regression

thefizz

I don’t like losses at the time, but usually I’m pretty level headed later that night or the following day. For instance, I expected Iowa to be able to at least split NW and MSU. They lost both and it was frustrating to watch as Iowa struggled to move the ball for large chunks of the game against both teams. But the results were at least something that shouldn’t be unexpected. I didn’t think MSU would be very good this year, but Dantonio whether you like him or not is a damn good coach and they turned out to be a top 25 type of team. Iowa lost to them on the road by 7 in a game where a freak occurrance cost them 6 points. In hindsight, it’s not shocking. I figured NW would be a pretty good team coming into the year, particularly on defense, so losing a close game on the road wasn’t a surprise. Once NW got through the early meat of their schedule, they started looking like the team a lot of people expected and are now a top 25 caliber team. And even though Iowa displayed historical inepetitude in Madison, they were playing one of the nations top defenses on the road. Although a terrible offensive output shouldn’t be expected, I wasn’t exactly expecting them to get to 30 either. So once again, taking an L in Madison shouldn’t be too surprising. All three of those games have logical explanations as to why they resulted in losses.

The Purdue game defies explanation. It was at home on Senior Day. The Boilermakers may be improved compared to recent years, but this is not a good team. What makes this game troubling is that it shows that nothing about this team has made progress. The QB hasn’t made progress. The OL hasn’t made progress. Our WR’s haven’t made progress. Our CB’s not named Jackson haven’t made progress. The special teams haven’t made progress. Our new OC hasn’t made progress. Actually pointing out that they haven’t made progress would be inaccurate. The team has actually regressed. A loss to this team that might not make a bowl this late in the year isn't explainable. It’s fair to point out that the Ferentz Hawkeyes haven’t been very high end when it comes to strategy, but the Ferentz Hawkeyes are usually well coached in the fundamentals. The 2017 offense lacks both of these things.

The entire team will have a lengthy to do list before the 2018 season starts. For the players, work on fundamentals and physical development. For the coaches (Brian Ferentz), get a better understanding of your personnel and what suits them. Get a better understanding of how to counter punch on offense. Brian isn’t a dumb guy and calling plays in the moment is more challenging than most people think it is, but he’s learning the hard way that it’s not just developing game plans and calling plays. It’s developing game plans and calling plays with a purpose.

What is disturbing and frustrating is how do they not build off the Ohio St game. How do they not realize what worked and build on that. Why regress after that to the old?

This was my final straw. I'm done. I don't care if they pull off one miraculous victory a year. I can't do the inconsistency anymore. They obviously do not get it.

It is a canard to call Iowa a program that gets better as the season moves along. That got picked up someplace along the way, and now it gets repeated as if it's gospel, when the evidence is to the contrary.

Iowa Football as we know it today is not fun football to watch period.

Dilly Dilly

SandyBlissfulIchthyostega-max-1mb.gif

What is disturbing and frustrating is how do they not build off the Ohio St game. How do they not realize what worked and build on that. Why regress after that to the old?

This was my final straw. I'm done. I don't care if they pull off one miraculous victory a year. I can't do the inconsistency anymore. They obviously do not get it.
Yep. One great victory per year doesn't count for Jack Schitt when you throw away the rest of the season.

It is a canard to call Iowa a program that gets better as the season moves along. That got picked up someplace along the way, and now it gets repeated as if it's gospel, when the evidence is to the contrary.

It was true in the early to mid 2000's, not recently though.

Beyond frustrating. It used to be you could predict the plays as they came to the LOS. Now you can even predict the penalties and turnovers with alarming accuracy.

I don’t like losses at the time, but usually I’m pretty level headed later that night or the following day. For instance, I expected Iowa to be able to at least split NW and MSU. They lost both and it was frustrating to watch as Iowa struggled to move the ball for large chunks of the game against both teams. But the results were at least something that shouldn’t be unexpected. I didn’t think MSU would be very good this year, but Dantonio whether you like him or not is a damn good coach and they turned out to be a top 25 type of team. Iowa lost to them on the road by 7 in a game where a freak occurrance cost them 6 points. In hindsight, it’s not shocking. I figured NW would be a pretty good team coming into the year, particularly on defense, so losing a close game on the road wasn’t a surprise. Once NW got through the early meat of their schedule, they started looking like the team a lot of people expected and are now a top 25 caliber team. And even though Iowa displayed historical inepetitude in Madison, they were playing one of the nations top defenses on the road. Although a terrible offensive output shouldn’t be expected, I wasn’t exactly expecting them to get to 30 either. So once again, taking an L in Madison shouldn’t be too surprising. All three of those games have logical explanations as to why they resulted in losses.

The Purdue game defies explanation. It was at home on Senior Day. The Boilermakers may be improved compared to recent years, but this is not a good team. What makes this game troubling is that it shows that nothing about this team has made progress. The QB hasn’t made progress. The OL hasn’t made progress. Our WR’s haven’t made progress. Our CB’s not named Jackson haven’t made progress. The special teams haven’t made progress. Our new OC hasn’t made progress. Actually pointing out that they haven’t made progress would be inaccurate. The team has actually regressed. A loss to this team that might not make a bowl this late in the year isn't explainable. It’s fair to point out that the Ferentz Hawkeyes haven’t been very high end when it comes to strategy, but the Ferentz Hawkeyes are usually well coached in the fundamentals. The 2017 offense lacks both of these things.

The entire team will have a lengthy to do list before the 2018 season starts. For the players, work on fundamentals and physical development. For the coaches (Brian Ferentz), get a better understanding of your personnel and what suits them. Get a better understanding of how to counter punch on offense. Brian isn’t a dumb guy and calling plays in the moment is more challenging than most people think it is, but he’s learning the hard way that it’s not just developing game plans and calling plays. It’s developing game plans and calling plays with a purpose.
There’s really no regression; this team just plain sucks and the OSU game was a total fluke. They didn’t blitz and couldn’t cover TEs, there’s really nothing to it other than that. As far as losing to MSU being from a freak occurrence, if one oops play costs you the entire game then you weren’t in the game to begin with. There were plenty of other non-freak occurrences in that game where Iowa should have scored and they would have had room to breathe.

This team just plain isn’t good nor are they consistent, whatsoever. This isn’t regression unless you consider it regression from bad to worse.

The most frustrating thing is to watch them keep banging into a loaded box - over and over and over and over...

I get that BF is inexperienced but how difficult is this to figure out? Quit effin' doin' what's not working and just try something else - anything else.

It's an absolute head-scratcher.

There’s really no regression; this team just plain sucks and the OSU game was a total fluke. They didn’t blitz and couldn’t cover TEs, there’s really nothing to it other than that. As far as losing to MSU being from a freak occurrence, if one oops play costs you the entire game then you weren’t in the game to begin with. There were plenty of other non-freak occurrences in that game where Iowa should have scored and they would have had room to breathe.

This team just plain isn’t good nor are they consistent, whatsoever. This isn’t regression unless you consider it regression from bad to worse.

The loss to Michigan State itself wasn't a freak occurrence, but the play where Stanley intercumbles is a bit of a freak occurrence. You hit that play instead of a turnover and you end up 17-14 at that point in the game and. The game ended 17-10 so that TD could have extended the game. Would Iowa have won in OT? I don't know. It would have probably been 50-50 at that point.

This might belong in that apologists thread but "we play at the level of our competition." :D

DITTO - while other items are baffling at times - the results v. great and weaker competition are a consistent theme since 2004. That's on coaching.

Trying to explain that, I think, is the 'NFL'ing approach to games. Close to the vest, wait for the opponent to blink first, and see where you are with 6 minutes left. This explains how the same team can play MIch, PSU, close and win, and play non-Conf MAC teams close. Doesn't explain Ohio St.

DITTO - while other items are baffling at times - the results v. great and weaker competition are a consistent theme since 2004. That's on coaching.

Trying to explain that, I think, is the 'NFL'ing approach to games. Close to the vest, wait for the opponent to blink first, and see where you are with 6 minutes left. This explains how the same team can play MIch, PSU, close and win, and play non-Conf MAC teams close. Doesn't explain Ohio St.

I do not disagree. My intent with my comment was more we take the identity of the team we are playing against than we match up with every team we play. Again I do not disagree with your comment. In that light the OSU game comes into focus.

Latest posts