Expect the Same Next Year

It's not funny. We're really not 7-5, we're really 9-3. We really did over achieve this season. And last season too. And we should not have had Stanzi in the game against Pitt several year's ago, all because he made a first down at the end of the first half, and didn't take a knee as directed. And we should have stopped handing the ball to Greene and started to pass.

Xerxes, you just don't get what being a "true" Iowa fan is.

please do not imply i said any of these things. also, I in no way said annybody wasnt a true hawk fan.

Hawk fans are just to spoiled. people just want all things, and they want it now from the program. but we first have to be consistent first, before we can be consistently good.

Returning Starters on O: (9) (+Derby / +Scherff / + K-Mart / +Staggs were not counted)

We replace Zus and McNutt.*

Returning Starters on D: (5)
(+Sleeper / +Lowery / +Hitchens were not counted)

We replace Daniels, Binns, Nardo, Bernstine, & Nielson.

So 14 Starters return, with 7 others that have started this year.

Many others that are still not listed that did demonstrate B1G abillities on special teams. lowrey, alston, staggs, zach derby, aj derby, etc

i really wish it was easier to look up participation, but its not. i know your just asking to ask. and thats completely fine. Cooper & Davis will be as good, if not better than Daniels and Bigach. If AJ Derby puts 10-15 lbs on he will move to DE.

Yes, I'll say it again- Reiff is not leaving School. He wont even get 1st team all B1G. bulaga got 1st team all B1G- and he missed 3+ games with an illness. he'll be back

I'll take your word for it bro. Thanks.

please do not imply i said any of these things. also, I in no way said annybody wasnt a true hawk fan.

Hawk fans are just to spoiled. people just want all things, and they want it now from the program. but we first have to be consistent first, before we can be consistently good.

You're not in my post anywhere, and I'm implying something completely unrelated to you, or your posts. But the mentality is strong here in Iowa, and not just in Iowa football.

"It's good enough".

I'll take your word for it bro. Thanks.

I forgot to add that he would most definitely "file papers" with the NFL. But after watching him this year- i feel more comfortable saying he'll be back than i did about prater/mcnutt last year.

-on a side note i also think that Hyde files his papers too. just a guess on him though.

took that into consideration. are you not factoring in any developmental growth of our underclassmen?

Our weakness will be our defensive line again, but thats said without being able to measure whats in the cupboard (particularly Cooper), and i've heard Derby is 10-15 lbs away from a potential move to DE (it's a stretch, but watch for this to happen). I've also heard that with some more wieght Spears/Alston may move to DE with our LB depth being 6-7 deep. Lowery/Lomax/Law/Miller/Sleeper all got great experience this year and Lowery is not quite a wash with Prater but is pretty close.

Great depth & Experience at QB, HB, FB, WR. TE, OL, LB, CB, S-

like i said if the DL can improve like they have during the course of this searson, we'll win 8/9 games.

Are you disputing that we will be favored in 9 games? or that we will win 8?

I'm confused- because next years team will be a better team than this years with a RS SR QB that had one of the best Statistical JR years in Iowa History with a Running back with one of the best Statistical SO years in Iowa History, and this years team was favored in 9 games? I just want to clarify what is confusing here?

I am a hawk fan. But we do not have great depth and experience at the aforementioned positions.

Sure we may win 8-9 games but the ceiling will be rather low and as much about the level of competition as our own level of performance.

Zero explosive playmakers returning at WR. I thought KD would emerge, be he disappeared as the season went on. Can he and kMM fill marve's shoes?

Assuming McCall returns I feel better about RB. Coker is not the answer in a one back system. Must have someone else to provide big plays. He is great to grind it out and pound the rock. But we are not talented enough to execute to perfection to drive the ball consistently down the field with three yards and a cloud of dust.

FB is not deep. Back up for BR is not good.

TE is very sketchy right now. CJ was terrible blocking again yesterday. Does he have all the tools? Maybe. Seems stiff to me. ZD is good enough to get you beat.

Secondar will be ok, LB will be ok, DL could be rough. No depth at LB, no depth at DL.

We need a major infusion of talent and speed everywhere to be relevant on a national level (top 15)

EDIT: Fwiw RR's family is saying he is returning. Lots can change between now and then. Anyone who is first round and returns is crazy IMO. Money talks

Last edited:

13 years in a system is supposed to get you consistency.

Assuming McCall returns I feel better about RB. Coker is not the answer in a one back system. Must have someone else to provide big plays. He is great to grind it out and pound the rock. But we are not talented enough to execute to perfection to drive the ball consistently down the field with three yards and a cloud of dust.
Definitely need a complimentary back.

13 years in a system is supposed to get you consistency.

I'm sorry, i must have not been as clear. I think we are consistent? 12 straight years of bowl eligibility, every year we are in or around the top 25. We have won 3 straight bowls in three straight years for the first time ever. We have softer boom and bust seasons. meaning we are no worse than 6 wins, competitive in every game, and have a ceiling of 11 wins. with where we finished, by having the fewest returning starters in the B1G, i think we should have won a few more games, but that's CFB!

We've had at worst, 6 wins, every year since 2000 (that was the last years we didn't) and while I understand that 6 wins isn't the most successful, I would assume that something does have to be said for the fact that we consistently have winning seasons.

Honest question, does anyone know how many programs have had 11 straight seasons of being bowl eligible? (Once again, I understand that this doesn't make you elite thought I think this combined with further successes that Iowa has had before definitely puts you at "pretty good" status.

We've had at worst, 6 wins, every year since 2000 (that was the last years we didn't) and while I understand that 6 wins isn't the most successful, I would assume that something does have to be said for the fact that we consistently have winning seasons.

Honest question, does anyone know how many programs have had 11 straight seasons of being bowl eligible? (Once again, I understand that this doesn't make you elite thought I think this combined with further successes that Iowa has had before definitely puts you at "pretty good" status.

i dont know, but when michigan didnt go to a bowl a few years back they had 33+ straight years of bowl eligibility. something crazy like that

http://dpdsdogs.com/ncaa/bowlstks.htm

College Football Bowl Participation Streaks

Seventy FBS schools participated in 35 bowl games at the end of the 2010 season.
There were also two other bowl-eligible teams, Temple (8-4) and Western Michigan (6-6).
Following is a list of schools with the number of consecutive bowl game appearances in parentheses:
Florida State (29)
Florida (20)
Virginia Tech (18)
Georgia, Georgia Tech (14)
Boston College, Oklahoma (12)
LSU, Ohio State, Texas Tech (11)
Boise State, Southern Mississippi, West Virginia, Wisconsin (9)
Navy, Utah (8)
Alabama (7)

The following schools have been to bowls in six consecutive years:
Brigham Young, Clemson, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, Penn State, South Florida, Texas Christian

The following schools have been to bowls in five consecutive years:
East Carolina, Kentucky, Oklahoma State

The following schools have been to bowls in four consecutive years:
Air Force, Connecticut, Fresno State, Michigan State

The following schools have been to bowls in three consecutive years:
Arizona, Iowa, Miami-Florida, Nebraska, North Carolina,
Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Troy

The following schools went to bowls after the 2009 and 2010 seasons, but not 2008:
Arkansas, Auburn, Central Florida, Middle Tennessee, Ohio, SMU, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas A&M

Listed below are the 19 schools who were in a 2010 bowl, but who did not go bowling
the year before, with the number of years without a bowl appearance in parentheses.
(Note: If the last bowl appearance was N years ago, there have been N-1 years without a bowl appearance.)

Hawai'i, Maryland, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Tulsa (1)
Illinois, Michigan, Mississippi State (2)
Kansas State, Louisville (3)
Toledo, UTEP (4)
Miami-Ohio, Syracuse (5)
Washington (7)
San Diego State (11 years, 1998 Silver Bowl)
Army (13 years, 1996 Independence Bowl)
Baylor (15 years, 1994 Alamo Bowl)
Florida International (first ever bowl appearance)
The following 17 schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2009 season, but not 2010:
Texas (ended 12-year streak), Southern Cal (on probation, ended 9-year streak),
California (ended 7-year streak), Houston (five years), Rutgers (five years),
Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Oregon State (four years),
Minnesota, Mississippi (two years), Bowling Green, Idaho, Iowa State,
Marshall, Temple, UCLA, Wyoming
The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2008 season, but not since then:
Ball State, Buffalo, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas, Louisiana Tech,
Memphis, Rice, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Western Michigan

The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2007 season, but not since then:
Arizona State, Colorado, Indiana, New Mexico, Purdue, Virginia

The following school went to a bowl at the end of the 2006 season, but not since then:
San Jose State

The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2005 season, but not since then:
Akron, Arkansas State

The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2004 season, but not since then:
North Texas, UAB

The following school went to a bowl at the end of the 2003 season, but not since then:
Washington State

The following school went to a bowl at the end of the 2002 season, but not since then:
Tulane

That leaves 9 FBS schools who have yet to go bowling in the 21st century.

It has been at least ten years since the following teams have been to a bowl:
UNLV (2000), Utah State (1997), Duke (1995), Eastern Michigan (1987)

The following teams haven't been to a bowl in over 25 years:
Kent State, Louisiana-Lafayette, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky

The following school, currently playing at the FBS level, has never been to a bowl:
LA-Monroe

Last edited:
Gee wiz, if the players could just execute, we may sneak up a few teams next year...maybe get lucky and have the ball bounce our way??? That's football.

That list tells me that going to individual bowl games isn't that impressive however doing it often does mean something and Ferentz has done that.

Would it be smart to risk losing bowl games to take a shot at upper level bowl games (BCS games) when Ferentz has produced that before for someone who may get us to BCS games consistently (honestly, it's not likely that this happens no matter who is in charge) but could easily make us a team who doesn't go to bowls and is a door mat?

It's a gamble that I wouldn't take until Ferentz has a couple more .500 type seasons (if it happens of course) which would essentially prove he is done producing BCS type teams.

Returning Starters on O: (9) (+Derby / +Scherff / + K-Mart / +Staggs were not counted)

We replace Zus and McNutt.* Gettis started and Herman played significant minutes

Returning Starters on D: (5)
(+Sleeper / +Lowery / +Hitchens were not counted)Prater? he may have been disappointing but he started every game he was eligible for over the last 3 seasons

We replace Daniels, Binns, Nardo, Bernstine, & Nielson.

So 14 Starters return, with 7 others that have started this year.

Many others that are still not listed that did demonstrate B1G abillities on special teams. lowrey, alston, staggs, zach derby, aj derby, etc

i really wish it was easier to look up participation, but its not. i know your just asking to ask. and thats completely fine. Cooper & Davis will be as good, if not better than Daniels and Bigach. If AJ Derby puts 10-15 lbs on he will move to DE.

Yes, I'll say it again- Reiff is not leaving School. He wont even get 1st team all B1G. bulaga got 1st team all B1G- and he missed 3+ games with an illness. he'll be back

I would say Reiff leaving is 60/40 for him leaving. His future is in the NFL.

Bowl Streaks

College Football Bowl Participation Streaks

Seventy FBS schools participated in 35 bowl games at the end of the 2010 season.
There were also two other bowl-eligible teams, Temple (8-4) and Western Michigan (6-6).
Following is a list of schools with the number of consecutive bowl game appearances in parentheses:
Florida State (29)
Florida (20)
Virginia Tech (18)
Georgia, Georgia Tech (14)
Boston College, Oklahoma (12)
LSU, Ohio State, Texas Tech (11)
Boise State, Southern Mississippi, West Virginia, Wisconsin (9)
Navy, Utah (8)
Alabama (7)

The following schools have been to bowls in six consecutive years:
Brigham Young, Clemson, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, Penn State, South Florida, Texas Christian

The following schools have been to bowls in five consecutive years:
East Carolina, Kentucky, Oklahoma State

The following schools have been to bowls in four consecutive years:
Air Force, Connecticut, Fresno State, Michigan State

The following schools have been to bowls in three consecutive years:
Arizona, Iowa, Miami-Florida, Nebraska, North Carolina,
Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Troy

The following schools went to bowls after the 2009 and 2010 seasons, but not 2008:
Arkansas, Auburn, Central Florida, Middle Tennessee, Ohio, SMU, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas A&M

Listed below are the 19 schools who were in a 2010 bowl, but who did not go bowling
the year before, with the number of years without a bowl appearance in parentheses.
(Note: If the last bowl appearance was N years ago, there have been N-1 years without a bowl appearance.)

Hawai'i, Maryland, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Tulsa (1)
Illinois, Michigan, Mississippi State (2)
Kansas State, Louisville (3)
Toledo, UTEP (4)
Miami-Ohio, Syracuse (5)
Washington (7)
San Diego State (11 years, 1998 Silver Bowl)
Army (13 years, 1996 Independence Bowl)
Baylor (15 years, 1994 Alamo Bowl)
Florida International (first ever bowl appearance)
The following 17 schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2009 season, but not 2010:
Texas (ended 12-year streak), Southern Cal (on probation, ended 9-year streak),
California (ended 7-year streak), Houston (five years), Rutgers (five years),
Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Oregon State (four years),
Minnesota, Mississippi (two years), Bowling Green, Idaho, Iowa State,
Marshall, Temple, UCLA, Wyoming
The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2008 season, but not since then:
Ball State, Buffalo, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas, Louisiana Tech,
Memphis, Rice, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Western Michigan

The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2007 season, but not since then:
Arizona State, Colorado, Indiana, New Mexico, Purdue, Virginia

The following school went to a bowl at the end of the 2006 season, but not since then:
San Jose State

The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2005 season, but not since then:
Akron, Arkansas State

The following schools went to a bowl at the end of the 2004 season, but not since then:
North Texas, UAB

The following school went to a bowl at the end of the 2003 season, but not since then:
Washington State

The following school went to a bowl at the end of the 2002 season, but not since then:
Tulane

That leaves 9 FBS schools who have yet to go bowling in the 21st century.

It has been at least ten years since the following teams have been to a bowl:
UNLV (2000), Utah State (1997), Duke (1995), Eastern Michigan (1987)

The following teams haven't been to a bowl in over 25 years:
Kent State, Louisiana-Lafayette, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky

The following school, currently playing at the FBS level, has never been to a bowl:
LA-Monroe

Excellent, impressive research.

Latest posts