Expect the Same Next Year

Take a minute, think about it logically. What games will we be underdogs in Vegas for? Probably only 3. Then which game(s) do you have losing threw our 7 game (home vs PSU).

At that point we will have only played 1 road game. Also keep in mind that this year, a year you think is not acceptable, we were 6-1 in Kinnick. Like most years we pulled off an upset at home, and We were 1-1 vs teams ranked better than us.

We will do no worse than 6-1 at home again next year, we will be 1-0 at a neutral venue, and let's say we go 1-3 on the road to appease the haters out there (I truly think we will be no worse than 2-2 on the road).

No add that up for me, and we're 8-4 in the worse case scenario. I'm a huge fan but this is what I expect- and we will probably win 9 of we go 2-2 on the road like I think we can!

You got to remember that people are chalking up MSU as a loss, but they are losing Cousins- may be rough for them next year.

We *could* be undefeated heading into our road contest @ Michigan.

Michigan have to open the year vs Alabama, go to Notre Dame & Nebraska early in the season.

Michigan St have to open the year vs Boise State & play tOSU just before us.

Penn State will have a tough game vs Ohio & @ Virginia early in the year.

Nebraska will have tough games vs SoMiss & @ UCLA.

We will be ok, trust me- I know people will scoff, but we will be a lot better than what you would think after 10 games. At that point we will have at least 1 win over a ranked opponent and bowl eligible again.

took that into consideration. are you not factoring in any developmental growth of our underclassmen?

Our weakness will be our defensive line again, but thats said without being able to measure whats in the cupboard (particularly Cooper), and i've heard Derby is 10-15 lbs away from a potential move to DE (it's a stretch, but watch for this to happen). I've also heard that with some more wieght Spears/Alston may move to DE with our LB depth being 6-7 deep. Lowery/Lomax/Law/Miller/Sleeper all got great experience this year and Lowery is not quite a wash with Prater but is pretty close.

Great depth & Experience at QB, HB, FB, WR. TE, OL, LB, CB, S-

like i said if the DL can improve like they have during the course of this searson, we'll win 8/9 games.

Are you disputing that we will be favored in 9 games? or that we will win 8?

I'm confused- because next years team will be a better team than this years with a RS SR QB that had one of the best Statistical JR years in Iowa History with a Running back with one of the best Statistical SO years in Iowa History, and this years team was favored in 9 games? I just want to clarify what is confusing here?

statistics? Who cares. Tell me vandenberg is one of the best qb's in the big ten? What a joke. He has a limited skill set. He might be a decent qb in a shotgun set with a spread offense like casey keenum; if he doesn't have to run at all. Other than that, i don't see it. The real issue needs to be dealt with and it is our offense, or lack thereof. Our schemes are old and boring. If we have 3 nfl lineman they work ok, otherwise are a disaster.

we will be favored in 9 games, and will win 8.

We will start no worse than 7-3 and people will still not be happy? (shrugs shoulders) :rolleyes:

*IF* we start 7-3, that is. I've learned with this program not to assume wins against any opponent.

It all depends on where the final record ends up. If we start 7-3 but end up 7-5, are you happy with that?

Take a minute, think about it logically. What games will we be underdogs in Vegas for? Probably only 3. Then which game(s) do you have losing threw our 7 game (home vs PSU).

At that point we will have only played 1 road game. Also keep in mind that this year, a year you think is not acceptable, we were 6-1 in Kinnick. Like most years we pulled off an upset at home, and We were 1-1 vs teams ranked better than us.

We will do no worse than 6-1 at home again next year, we will be 1-0 at a neutral venue, and let's say we go 1-3 on the road to appease the haters out there (I truly think we will be no worse than 2-2 on the road).

No add that up for me, and we're 8-4 in the worse case scenario. I'm a huge fan but this is what I expect- and we will probably win 9 of we go 2-2 on the road like I think we can!

You got to remember that people are chalking up MSU as a loss, but they are losing Cousins- may be rough for them next year.

We *could* be undefeated heading into our road contest @ Michigan.

Michigan have to open the year vs Alabama, go to Notre Dame & Nebraska early in the season.

Michigan St have to open the year vs Boise State & play tOSU just before us.

Penn State will have a tough game vs Ohio & @ Virginia early in the year.

Nebraska will have tough games vs SoMiss & @ UCLA.

We will be ok, trust me- I know people will scoff, but we will be a lot better than what you would think after 10 games. At that point we will have at least 1 win over a ranked opponent and bowl eligible again.

Who the hell cares how many games we're favored???? What's KF record when his teams have been "favored" by more than 10 points??? It's atrocious...the team we put on the field next year is going to be bad and it's quite possible we lose to an FCS team.

Last edited:
took that into consideration. are you not factoring in any developmental growth of our underclassmen?

Our weakness will be our defensive line again, but thats said without being able to measure whats in the cupboard (particularly Cooper), and i've heard Derby is 10-15 lbs away from a potential move to DE (it's a stretch, but watch for this to happen). I've also heard that with some more wieght Spears/Alston may move to DE with our LB depth being 6-7 deep. Lowery/Lomax/Law/Miller/Sleeper all got great experience this year and Lowery is not quite a wash with Prater but is pretty close.

Great depth & Experience at QB, HB, FB, WR. TE, OL, LB, CB, S-

like i said if the DL can improve like they have during the course of this searson, we'll win 8/9 games.

Are you disputing that we will be favored in 9 games? or that we will win 8?

I'm confused- because next years team will be a better team than this years with a RS SR QB that had one of the best Statistical JR years in Iowa History with a Running back with one of the best Statistical SO years in Iowa History, and this years team was favored in 9 games? I just want to clarify what is confusing here?

What depth does Iowa have at those positions?

Several of those spots won't have B10 starting experience coming back and some won't even have B10 playing experience period.

I know you're the big positive guy around here but what players have shown you they're ready for B10 level football?

Believe I hope you're right but the following guys are the only players I've seen this year that have proven they're ready for BCS football:

Vandenberg
Coker
Rogers
Davis
Ferentz
MacMillian (if he ever plays again)

Alvis & Bigach (may not have B10 ability but they play hard)
Kirksey
Hyde
Lowery
Miller

I'm confused as to where you're seeing all this depth & experience. Kirk hardly played any backups in meaningful B10 snaps.

I read through this entire thread. And then thought about why I am wondering whether we'll get into the Gator Bowl, the only good one for recruiting, or whether the old folks will be peeing themselves over Texas or Arizona, which don't help our program.

I'm depressed, and trying to be positive (delusional?).

What depth does Iowa have at those positions?

Several of those spots won't have B10 starting experience coming back and some won't even have B10 playing experience period.

I know you're the big positive guy around here but what players have shown you they're ready for B10 level football?

Believe I hope you're right but the following guys are the only players I've seen this year that have proven they're ready for BCS football:

Vandenberg
Coker
Rogers
Davis
Ferentz
MacMillian (if he ever plays again)

Alvis & Bigach (may not have B10 ability but they play hard)
Kirksey
Hyde
Lowery
Miller

I'm confused as to where you're seeing all this depth & experience. Kirk hardly played any backups in meaningful B10 snaps.

I missed C-Fed, Derby, K-Mart, 6-8 OL, 6-8 DL, 6-8 LB's, 6-8 DB's all got plenty of playing time throughout the year at diffferent points. Reiff is not leaving school either. Plenty of Depth

Golfer, I don't think one mediocre bowl or another has much impact on recruiting.

Consider the east coast, the start time, and where we recruit from as it regards TV viewership. The Rose Bowl or Feista Bowl's aren't really good either given the model we're using.

I missed C-Fed, Derby, K-Mart, 6-8 OL, 6-8 DL, 6-8 LB's, 6-8 DB's all got plenty of playing time throughout the year at diffferent points. Reiff is not leaving school either. Plenty of Depth

Sounds great! I must have missed where C-Fed, Derby, & K-Mart showed that they are B10 level players. I saw them play but outside of a couple of catches I didn't see where any of these guys had an impact for Iowa in B10 play.

Also could you please give me the names all of the guys that you didn't name in your post and the games in which they displayed their B10 level ability on offense or defense. Thanks!

This is funny!

It's not funny. We're really not 7-5, we're really 9-3. We really did over achieve this season. And last season too. And we should not have had Stanzi in the game against Pitt several year's ago, all because he made a first down at the end of the first half, and didn't take a knee as directed. And we should have stopped handing the ball to Greene and started to pass.

Xerxes, you just don't get what being a "true" Iowa fan is.

Returning Starters on O: (9) (+Derby / +Scherff / + K-Mart / +Staggs were not counted)

We replace Zus and McNutt.*

Returning Starters on D: (5)
(+Sleeper / +Lowery / +Hitchens were not counted)

We replace Daniels, Binns, Nardo, Bernstine, & Nielson.

So 14 Starters return, with 7 others that have started this year.

Many others that are still not listed that did demonstrate B1G abillities on special teams. lowrey, alston, staggs, zach derby, aj derby, etc

i really wish it was easier to look up participation, but its not. i know your just asking to ask. and thats completely fine. Cooper & Davis will be as good, if not better than Daniels and Bigach. If AJ Derby puts 10-15 lbs on he will move to DE.

Yes, I'll say it again- Reiff is not leaving School. He wont even get 1st team all B1G. bulaga got 1st team all B1G- and he missed 3+ games with an illness. he'll be back

Latest posts