Expect the Same Next Year

jameskalina

Same coaches with same philosophies with same little or no room for flexibility.

Also, expect every opponent to zero in on the predictableness that will make it more difficult for the offense to move the ball consistently, especially against good opponents.

That said, I fully expect Iowa will drop one game between Iowa State and Northen Iowa. It's not out of the question Iowa to lose to both teams.

Also, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State and, yes, even Indiana on the road scares me.

At this very early juncture it wouldn't surprise me if we see another 7 win season, unless the offense becomes more consistent from a performance standpoint and more unpredictable.

You never know - Rudock could be all world, the o-line might get way better, Coker might find that extra gear, etc. and things could turn around quickly. Face it, we didn't get many bounces this year and that could all turn around, but we are gonna need some guys to make big leaps and hopefully land a juco d-lineman or two to have a good year next year.

Same coaches with same philosophies with same little or no room for flexibility.

Also, expect every opponent to zero in on the predictableness that will make it more difficult for the offense to move the ball consistently, especially against good opponents.

That said, I fully expect Iowa will drop one game between Iowa State and Northen Iowa. It's not out of the question Iowa to lose to both teams.

Also, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State and, yes, even Indiana on the road scares me.

At this very early juncture it wouldn't surprise me if we see another 7 win season, unless the offense becomes more consistent from a performance standpoint and more unpredictable.

You are clueless...It comes down to execution. None of this is on the coaching. ** please not sarcasm**

I would be happy with seven wins next year at this point, I'm afraid it will be worse than this year. Losing McNutt and possibly three offensive line starters is not going to make us any better.

Losing to UNI would be disastrous though they probably are better than the Gopher losing to an FCS team would really not be good..

we will be favored in 9 games, and will win 8.

We will start no worse than 7-3 and people will still not be happy? (shrugs shoulders) :rolleyes:

Losing to UNI and ISU is very possible and probably the best thing for the program.
Then we'll realize changes need to be made.
Going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd in the state within 2 years better open some eyes.

We will start no worse than 7-3 and people will still not be happy? (shrugs shoulders) :rolleyes:

Wow....

That's like saying they will go 13-0.

I'm not in the same galaxy as you. Take a look at who they will have back next year.

Last edited:

Everyone thought we would get off to a great start this year too. Didn't happen, I highly doubt we'll start 7-3 next year. We'll lose at least one of our non conference games despite the easy schedule.

Losing to UNI and ISU is very possible and probably the best thing for the program.
Then we'll realize changes need to be made.
Going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd in the state within 2 years better open some eyes.

Agreed. Losing to 2 in-state rivals will be great and 2 teams we should beat. Why even watch us next year?

But I will give you that if we lose to both, we will probably end up with 2 wins, maybe. We can only all hope, right?

You never know - Rudock could be all world, the o-line might get way better, Coker might find that extra gear, etc. and things could turn around quickly. Face it, we didn't get many bounces this year and that could all turn around, but we are gonna need some guys to make big leaps and hopefully land a juco d-lineman or two to have a good year next year.

An optimistic forecast. But, is it really realistic?

I hope you are correct. But, with all the variables it probably will not come to fruition.

SMBHawk is correct, it should all be blamed on player execution. It cannot be the coaches game plans or play calling. Ha ha.

An optimistic forecast. But, is it really realistic?

I hope you are correct. But, with all the variables it probably will not come to fruition.

You just never know. Going into the season, I thought we would either be 6-6 or 10-2, I didn't foresee any middle ground, at the midway point of the third quarter of the Pitt game, I thought 4-8 was the best we would be with the only remaining wins coming against Minnesota and Indiana. But we didn't even beat Minnesota. As much as I hate to say it, all of Iowa's good years boil down to the fact that the football is an oblong object and bounces in strange ways. This year, we got those bounces against Michigan, Purdue and ISU (though we still lost) and we didn't get them against Michigan State, Nebraska or Penn State and we looked like crap in those games.

I know, the scoreboard looked bad today, but today's game is one of those learning experience games for Kirksey and Morris, both of whom had sure INTs bounce off of them. They'll make those plays next year (maybe the year after) and those are the kinds of plays that made 2009 so awesome. Edds and Angerer both sealed a lot of games in 2009 but remember we had growing pains with those guys, too. We just need someone on the d-line to step up, the secondary will take care of itself. And then if the offense finds some sparks, we could be scary good. We could also really suck.

You are clueless...It comes down to execution. None of this is on the coaching. ** please not sarcasm**

1. Execution is important, yes.
2. But through our philosophies, we don't give ourselves much room for error. That is on coaching, especially when it's clear that the team isn't going to execute sufficiently on a consistent basis.

Wow....

That's like saying they will go 13-0.

I'm not in the same galaxy as you. Take a look at who they will have back next year.

took that into consideration. are you not factoring in any developmental growth of our underclassmen?

Our weakness will be our defensive line again, but thats said without being able to measure whats in the cupboard (particularly Cooper), and i've heard Derby is 10-15 lbs away from a potential move to DE (it's a stretch, but watch for this to happen). I've also heard that with some more wieght Spears/Alston may move to DE with our LB depth being 6-7 deep. Lowery/Lomax/Law/Miller/Sleeper all got great experience this year and Lowery is not quite a wash with Prater but is pretty close.

Great depth & Experience at QB, HB, FB, WR. TE, OL, LB, CB, S-

like i said if the DL can improve like they have during the course of this searson, we'll win 8/9 games.

Are you disputing that we will be favored in 9 games? or that we will win 8?

I'm confused- because next years team will be a better team than this years with a RS SR QB that had one of the best Statistical JR years in Iowa History with a Running back with one of the best Statistical SO years in Iowa History, and this years team was favored in 9 games? I just want to clarify what is confusing here?

took that into consideration. are you not factoring in any developmental growth of our underclassmen?

Our weakness will be our defensive line again, but thats said without being able to measure whats in the cupboard (particularly Cooper), and i've heard Derby is 10-15 lbs away from a potential move to DE (it's a stretch, but watch for this to happen). I've also heard that with some more wieght Spears/Alston may move to DE with our LB depth being 6-7 deep. Lowery/Lomax/Law/Miller/Sleeper all got great experience this year and Lowery is not quite a wash with Prater but is pretty close.

Great depth & Experience at QB, HB, FB, WR. TE, OL, LB, CB, S-

like i said if the DL can improve like they have during the course of this searson, we'll win 8/9 games.

Are you disputing that we will be favored in 9 games? or that we will win 8?

I'm confused- because next years team will be a better team than this years with a RS SR QB that had one of the best Statistical JR years in Iowa History with a Running back with one of the best Statistical SO years in Iowa History, and this years team was favored in 9 games? I just want to clarify what is confusing here?

Yeah, just like last season right?

W Northern Illinois
L Iowa State
W Northern Iowa
W Central Michigan
W Minnesota
L at Michigan State
L Penn State
L at Northwestern
L at Indiana
W Purdue
L at Michigan
L Nebraska

I will go on record right now. 5-7

3 years 7 or fewer wins, 3 years 8 or more wins. That is the KF trend and it doesn't look to change.

So yes, expect more next year and the year after.

But man, 2014 will be awesome!

Latest posts