Expect status quo even without O’Keefe

QUOTE=cmhawks99;716504]Well fwiw worth, Iowa’s defensive personnel, at least according to Pro day and NFL combine numbers is typically one of the faster and more athletic out there, so that doesn’t hold water...
Finally the Big 10 has been spread diversified for many years, so again, not really sure what you are basing your analysis on…..[/QUOTE]

I agree Iowa's defensive players are athletic. The problem is: Iowa's defense DOES NOT (I will repeat) DOES NOT use the athleticism of their athletes.

The secondary plays soft coverage. Fast DBs are never used to cover fast receivers, they're just used to prevent the long gaining pass play.

Three linebackers cover the tightend, running back and slot recievers, if needed. What if there's a 4th recevier in the pass play? You get nickel, or if need be, dime pass coverage.

It's great for the Iowa defense if the 2 DEs can reach the QB on a pass play. Using 2010 Iowa stats, Iowa QB sacks were pathetic. Even though some of Iowa's DLine players were drafted into the NFL.

BTW, what's more important to you? How the players do while playing at Iowa or if they're drafted in the NFL? It seems to me, it's if they're drafted in the NFL.

Iowa's defense is not athletic. A quick and easy way to make the Iowa defense athletic is to use the 3-4. Put some hogs at the LOS to try and stop the run and maybe put pressure on the QB. Have 4 linebackers lend more athleticism to the defense.

And your comment about the B1G using spread offenses for some time was lame: Iowa's defense has never stopped B1G offenses that were spread. Illinois (spread running), tOSU (spread running), Northwestern (spread passing), Indiana (the pistol), Purdue (spread passing), Wisconsin (used spread formations for the 1st time in 2010). Iowa stopped 1 B1G spread running offense that I can think of - Michigan.

Someone posted Iowa's defense was good because of scoring, and yards allowed per game stats.
I'm saying those are misleading stats. It's like saying your car gets great gas mileage (lets say 45 mpg) even though it's only driven on the interstate. The interstate would be the running game for Iowa's defense (as long a coach K was here). What about when it's driven in snow or pulling a boat?

I would contend that the offensive woes caused the defense much of its problems.

Why does it matter one way or other to you? You are a Hawkeye fan aren't you?

I was happy with Iowa's win against Northwestern this year. I'm wondering if you thought it was the offense's fault the game was so close.

Besides, that's how KF wants it. He wants the defense to win ball games. Is that too much pressure for you?

I would contend that the offensive woes caused the defense much of its problems.

I agree with this. There were also some holes to plug on defense, but if I had to go backwards, and choose one area of improvement (which to me is simply what I think would have given us more wins), I'd pick offense.

Special teams might be in second place.

I have to temper this blanket generalization with the fact I also understand our offense is supposed to be a ball control offense, and isn't often going to compete in a 120 point, 600 yard game.

QUOTE=cmhawks99;716504]Well fwiw worth, Iowa’s defensive personnel, at least according to Pro day and NFL combine numbers is typically one of the faster and more athletic out there, so that doesn’t hold water...
Finally the Big 10 has been spread diversified for many years, so again, not really sure what you are basing your analysis on…..

I agree Iowa's defensive players are athletic. The problem is: Iowa's defense DOES NOT (I will repeat) DOES NOT use the athleticism of their athletes.

The secondary plays soft coverage. Fast DBs are never used to cover fast receivers, they're just used to prevent the long gaining pass play.

Three linebackers cover the tightend, running back and slot recievers, if needed. What if there's a 4th recevier in the pass play? You get nickel, or if need be, dime pass coverage.

It's great for the Iowa defense if the 2 DEs can reach the QB on a pass play. Using 2010 Iowa stats, Iowa QB sacks were pathetic. Even though some of Iowa's DLine players were drafted into the NFL.

BTW, what's more important to you? How the players do while playing at Iowa or if they're drafted in the NFL? It seems to me, it's if they're drafted in the NFL.

Iowa's defense is not athletic. A quick and easy way to make the Iowa defense athletic is to use the 3-4. Put some hogs at the LOS to try and stop the run and maybe put pressure on the QB. Have 4 linebackers lend more athleticism to the defense.

And your comment about the B1G using spread offenses for some time was lame: Iowa's defense has never stopped B1G offenses that were spread. Illinois (spread running), tOSU (spread running), Northwestern (spread passing), Indiana (the pistol), Purdue (spread passing), Wisconsin (used spread formations for the 1st time in 2010). Iowa stopped 1 B1G spread running offense that I can think of - Michigan.

Someone posted Iowa's defense was good because of scoring, and yards allowed per game stats.
I'm saying those are misleading stats. It's like saying your car gets great gas mileage (lets say 45 mpg) even though it's only driven on the interstate. The interstate would be the running game for Iowa's defense (as long a coach K was here). What about when it's driven in snow or pulling a boat?

I was happy with Iowa's win against Northwestern this year. I'm wondering if you thought it was the offense's fault the game was so close.

Besides, that's how KF wants it. He wants the defense to win ball games. Is that too much pressure for you?[/QUOTE]

Too convulted and not true on top of it......Watch the "other" fast teams, that are playing soft coverage (i/e: pretty much all of them to a degree) or 4-3...!!

I have no idea what you mean by that statement. We're having a simple, open discussion about the team and how we perceive. This comment doesn't seem to have bearing on the discussion.

Besides, that's how KF wants it. He wants the defense to win ball games. Is that too much pressure for you?

You clearly don't follow my posts on this board. If am reading your comments correctly. I have no qualms with KF's philosophy and I am one of the few who defend it.

Last edited:

Latest posts