Expansion tidbit from the NW board

There is an exception for Hawaii and teams that play @ Hawaii. Navy played Hawaii last year, so they were allowed an extra non-conference game. Boise State played 14 games too (counting bowl game) since they played at Hawaii.

Ohio State didn't play Hawaii though. Their non-conference slate in 2002 was Kent State, Texas Tech, Washington State, Cincinnati, and San Jose State. How did that work?

I read the OP, and immediately said, "Ain't gonna happen."

But then I remembered: this is the Big Ten. They are the elephant in the room. If they want something, they can probably get their way.

And if the Big Ten really REALLY wants UT and ND, they'll probably do it. And they'll get whatever rules changed that need to be changed.

Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

The 7-0/8-0 thing seems like what would be a non-starter. Making special accommodations for two teams that have never been in the league when the league already is in the catbird seat? I don't see that.

I really don't want to see Texas in the Big Ten. Not at all.

I agree with you on this jon. Sounds like a couple of guys discussing sceneros over a couple of beers. I would be totally against giving special accomadations to any teams, just so they will join. Teams should be chomping at the bit to get into the big ten and get a piece of the money pie. Not the other way around.

That actually makes a ton of sense and would explain why the Big East has recently come out criticizing ND for not playing football in the league. If you're the Big East, and the Big Ten offers to leave your league alone if you kick out ND, what choice do you have? You have to kick out ND.

Allowing Notre Dame to play the schedule they do now makes sense? If Notre Dame joins the Big 10, they play a Big 10 schedule. If they still want to play teams like Washington and USC, fine, but six non conference games is bunk.

I've read all Spring that Texas was going nowhere without Texas A&M. No one on the posted links mentioned A&M. I just don't see Texas in the equation. Mizzou makes more sense, IMO.

If the B10 wants to compete with SEC(on the field) 'claiming' Texas as B10 territory makes a lot of sense, not to mention the prestige and TV sets in Texas.

Texas is also going to want to Big 10 revenue sharing to change.
They will never agree to equal division of revenues. Texas feels they bring
more $$ in so they get a bigger cut of the overall revenue.

I believe there is a bylaw in the Big 12 conference rules where if a school were to leave for a different conference the same academic year they forfeit all revenue's they get from the conference.

If they only give 2 years notice, they lose 50% of their share of the conference revenue for each of the 2 years prior to leaving.

Can you say Rube Goldberg? No way that happens. I just don't see how the Big Ten gets Texas in any way shape or form.

Nope. Aint gonna happen.
The B10 is in the catbirds seat and there are plenty of schools to choose from that would be more than willing to accept, no special exceptions needed.
If ND and Texas got into the B10 with some kind of special deal, I'd quit watching college football. End of story.

a few too many beers me thinks

Got this post from someone off the Northwestern board.

I just had a few beers tonight with a friend who works for the Big Ten here in Chicago. According to him, the Big Ten has focused their efforts on and is getting hot with three schools: Notre Dame, Texas, and Nebraska.

A few things stood out about what he told me. First, contrary to my understanding of the benefits of expansion, the Big Ten is NOT pursuing a playoff system in football. Instead of a playoff, the football teams would all be required to add an additional one or two out of conference game, which would push the regular season back one week or two. The Big Ten wants to maintain the end of season rivalry games at the end of the football season as opposed to adding a playoff.

Second, the Big Ten, Texas and Notre Dame are discussing a special rule to accommodate both of those schools. Instead of playing 8 games, both Texas and ND would play 7 to enable each school to play 6 out of conference games. That's apparently the caveat that brought both to the table, and Texas and ND also want to play each other every year. The tradeoff is that an 8-0 Big Ten team would always trump a 7-0 ND/Texas as conference champion, which is a potential logistical sticking point for the Big Ten and these teams. But apparently ND and Texas value the extra OOC game more than the conference championship potential, and ND and Texas want to play each other every year making the tie between two 7-0 teams impossible. They're also looking at potentially giving a automatic BCS slot for a 7-0 ND/Texas Big Ten team that loses the conference championship to an 8-0 team as a carrot, where the 8-0 team could still get the at-large but isn't guaranteed.

Finally, the Big East is essentially pushing ND to discussions with the Big Ten. The Big East has presented an ultimatum to ND to play football or get out of the conference for the other sports in order to protect the integrity of the remainder of the conference. Apparently discussions have taken place between the Big Ten and the Big East, and the current understanding is that the Big Ten will not accept any other Big East schools if ND joins the Big Ten. ND also will retain a national schedule, particularly with Texas joining, where it would have the ability to schedule 6 OOC games plus one game with Texas. This means they're picking up only three additional games with Big Ten schools while playing in the conference.

I can't see this happening.

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

How much would this scenario add to the revenue of the big ten and big ten network? Could it possibly double with ND and Texas? I think what is happening is that this is one scenario that Delaney is planning to present at the board in June and that this person caught wind of it. They will have to have more than one scenario to be able to be presented to the board. I think this would be a good scenario if it doubles the revenue and gives more money to the schools.

Nope. Aint gonna happen.
The B10 is in the catbirds seat and there are plenty of schools to choose from that would be more than willing to accept, no special exceptions needed.
If ND and Texas got into the B10 with some kind of special deal, I'd quit watching college football. End of story.

Bingo!

The Big 10 does not need to go begging or give special deals. There are PLENTY of quality schools that would likely jump at the chance to join the Big 10 (Missouri, Nebraska, etc).

What to me is most interesting from this discussion is not the Texas angle, but if the Big East and Big Ten actually coordinate an effort to force ND into a decision. The BE has more leverage on ND (get all in or get out), which could work to the B10's advantage.

In returning the favor, the B10 could commit it will not further raid the BE. (Who does the B10 really want ... Notre Dame or Rutgers???)

What to me is most interesting from this discussion is not the Texas angle, but if the Big East and Big Ten actually coordinate an effort to force ND into a decision. The BE has more leverage on ND (get all in or get out), which could work to the B10's advantage.

In returning the favor, the B10 could commit it will not further raid the BE. (Who does the B10 really want ... Notre Dame or Rutgers???)

Jim Delany is Machiavelli reincarnate. I think he planted a bug in the Big East's ear that they needed to push ND knowing that it would more likely push them to the B10.

Latest posts