Expansion = How would you split these 16

into 4 divisions:

How bout these apples:

A) Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin

B) Mizzou, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame

C) Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue

D) Penn State, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers

This would be a riot! Wow, what a conference that would be and it would still allow MI/OSU to keep their regular season rivalry in place along with others on rivalry weekend (IA/Nebby new rivalry while MN/WI, MSU/PSU, Indy/Purdue, Mizzou/IL, Maryland/Rutgers all play in final regular season games). Could be amazing.

I like this better than the one M&D came up with this week. You'd probably still have a protected rival from another division.

There would be some upset people in East Lansing. Even with a protected rival, ND and Michigan likely protect each other, meaning MSU loses both of their main rivals. Other than that, it looks good.

If we go to 16, I love this. Everybody in our division would be a rival. Throw in Mizzou as a protected rival and I'd really love it.

Not to mention each division contains one of the winningest programs in NCAA history and the conference as a whole would have 5 of the top 7 winningest programs ever. All I have to say is, wow.

This makes alot of sense...I would be more than happy if this is what it ended up being. No power division, but no slouch division either. Good equality and rivalries in each division!

into 4 divisions:

How bout these apples:

This would be a riot! Wow, what a conference that would be and it would still allow MI/OSU to keep their regular season rivalry in place along with others on rivalry weekend (IA/Nebby new rivalry while MN/WI, MSU/PSU, Indy/Purdue, Mizzou/IL, Maryland/Rutgers all play in final regular season games). Could be amazing.

looks good to me Get-R-Done

By this point I am sure everyone knows that I don't think OSU and UM will be in the same pod. However, I could see it happening if both Nebby and ND came in. That way there can be a driver in each pod.

into 4 divisions:

How bout these apples:

I need someone to explain why four divisions are better than two 8 team conferences? I thought one of the biggest reasons to expand is so we have a dec playoff championship? What do you do with 4 champs? With 4 divisions there are 4 seperate big ten football champs each yr? I know it is about money but I would still favor adding only one team.

The reason you would go to 4 team pods is so each team in the entire conference will play each other team with some regularity. For instance, if you went with an 8 team division of Nebby, Iowa, Minny, Wisky, Mizzou, Illinois, NU, and ND, it could be conceivable that Iowa would only end up playing OSU, UM, PSU, etc., if they made it to the league championship game.

You can rotate pods so that each pod would play each other pod on a rotating basis. Get it?

I also thought that Mich St might ***** and moan about this split but then I thought, hey MSU you were the new kid on the block in around 1948 and the most recent addition prior to Penn State so live with it Sparty...

The reason you would go to 4 team pods is so each team in the entire conference will play each other team with some regularity. For instance, if you went with an 8 team division of Nebby, Iowa, Minny, Wisky, Mizzou, Illinois, NU, and ND, it could be conceivable that Iowa would only end up playing OSU, UM, PSU, etc., if they made it to the league championship game.

You can rotate pods so that each pod would play each other pod on a rotating basis. Get it?

Effectively killing the regular season making the playoffs the only thing that matters. Welcome NBA, NHL, MLB and the NCAA BB season. Goodbye to all the century old traditions that made the football season so special. In the long run this is not good at all. It may be an evil necessity but we are killing off one of the few things left in life that provide identity and continuity to collegiate sports. Bye bye bowls as well.

Effectively killing the regular season making the playoffs the only thing that matters. Welcome NBA, NHL, MLB and the NCAA BB season. Goodbye to all the century old traditions that made the football season so special. In the long run this is not good at all. It may be an evil necessity but we are killing off one of the few things left in life that provide identity and continuity to collegiate sports. Bye bye bowls as well.

From every write-up I have seen with respect to the pod system, two pods would be linked together each season and the winner of that pod combination would go to the championship game. Not exactly sure how that would kill the regular season.

Don't think of the pods as NFL divisions and the champs of each division going to a playoff. It is just a way to switch teams up within in the overall conference and make the divisions more fluid, thus keeping all teams in the long-term schedule.

Sure, you would only be in direct competition with three specific teams, unless there was a protected rivalry, in perpituity. But, actually that is more than currently is the case as the current Big Ten rotation takes teams off of your schedule on a two year basis.

Now, all this being said, if things did change so that there were four superconferences, it could be easily conceivable that we could see a future in college football where the pods ended up seeding a 16 team playoff.

From every write-up I have seen with respect to the pod system, two pods would be linked together each season and the winner of that pod combination would go to the championship game. Not exactly sure how that would kill the regular season.

Don't think of the pods as NFL divisions and the champs of each division going to a playoff. It is just a way to switch teams up within in the overall conference and make the divisions more fluid, thus keeping all teams in the long-term schedule.

Sure, you would only be in direct competition with three specific teams, unless there was a protected rivalry, in perpituity. But, actually that is more than currently is the case as the current Big Ten rotation takes teams off of your schedule on a two year basis.

Now, all this being said, if things did change so that there were four superconferences, it could be easily conceivable that we could see a future in college football where the pods ended up seeding a 16 team playoff.

The way I understand it, the way the pod system has been laid out you only "host" every team outside of your pod once every 6 years (unless there is a traditional rival). So outside of the 3 in your pod, the other 12 teams in your conference only come to your stadium once every 6 years. That seems extreme to me. In the next 60 years we would only get to watch OSU, Michigan, and Illinois play in Kinnick Stadium 10 more times a piece?

I would almost rather play the 7 teams in your division, go to a 10 game conference schedule and rotate the other 8 teams through. At least you get to play more teams at home on a regular basis. We would have the same problem with Michigan/OSU/Penn S, etc....but at least we would play the border rivals of Illinois and Missouri at home every other year and quite possibly Notre Dame.

Some people have talked about a two year home and away schedule, which would make the rotation even less.

However, if you went to a ten game conference schedule, then only five teams would be off the rotation in any given year.

Latest posts