Expansion = How would you split these 16

The way I understand it, the way the pod system has been laid out you only "host" every team outside of your pod once every 6 years (unless there is a traditional rival). So outside of the 3 in your pod, the other 12 teams in your conference only come to your stadium once every 6 years. That seems extreme to me. In the next 60 years we would only get to watch OSU, Michigan, and Illinois play in Kinnick Stadium 10 more times a piece?

I would almost rather play the 7 teams in your division, go to a 10 game conference schedule and rotate the other 8 teams through. At least you get to play more teams at home on a regular basis. We would have the same problem with Michigan/OSU/Penn S, etc....but at least we would play the border rivals of Illinois and Missouri at home every other year and quite possibly Notre Dame.

If you go to a 9 game conference schedule and eliminate the protected rivalry games across divisions, you have a set-up where every team will play every other team not in their division in a home and away game every 4 years.

There would be some upset people in East Lansing. Even with a protected rival, ND and Michigan likely protect each other, meaning MSU loses both of their main rivals. Other than that, it looks good.

Notre Dames protected rival would be Purdue and Michigan States would be scUM.

Latest posts