Here's how I would do it:
  • 8 Teams
  • 5 Automatic Bids - Power 5 Champions
  • 3 At Large Bids
  • Higher seed has home field advantage
  • Week 15 (Dec 9th) - Elite Eight
  • Week 16 - (Dec 16th) - Final Four
  • Final Four games would be played at 11:00 and 2:30
  • After the Final Four games are played you would have the Bowl Game Selection Show
  • New Years 6 Bowls would be - Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Peach
  • National Championship Game rotates to different sites (could be NFL stadiums or classic college football locations)
  • Change the requirement to make bowl games to 7 wins and eliminate unnecessary bowls

Going to 8 teams could really hurt conference championship games, particularly with the playoff starting the following week. It also opens the door for teams finishing 2nd in their division being in a better position than division winners who have to play in the conference championship against a great team. Which already happens with 4 team playoff. See Ohio St

Going to 8 teams could really hurt conference championship games, particularly with the playoff starting the following week. It also opens the door for teams finishing 2nd in their division being in a better position than division winners who have to play in the conference championship against a great team. Which already happens with 4 team playoff. See Ohio St

Exactly. Which is why it should just be 16 teams. Just call the conference championship games round 1, and make the top 6 teams that didn't win their division have to play that same week as well. That way it is already at 8 after the conference championship weekend.

I don't know how you can possibly have a 8 team playoff where the conference champs are penalized for winning their division in essence. You can just "pick" 3 teams that didn't have to play that 13th game (the conference championship game) and say that is fair.

8 teams

5 conf champs, 3 at large. Champ conf game loser could still make it (i.e. Iowa in 2015)
Committee decides at large

or, 100% seeding, conf champs *not* an auto bid

First round, higher seeded team gets home field
2nd round, play in the big bowl stadiums, rotate
Champ game, goes to highest bidder

Agree, 7 wins and/or .500 in conf play as minimum for a bowl
No bowl games played after 1st, or 2nd, round of playoffs

Too much "closeness" now between 4th (in) and 5th (out) ranked teams.
Eight teams....not as much argument between 8th (in) and 9th (out) ranked teams.

^^^Big Bowls^^^ will fight playoff expansion tooth and nail. It'll severely diminish their prestige, even more than it has now. The lower tier bowl games, ehhh, not so much if at all.

Exactly. Which is why it should just be 16 teams. Just call the conference championship games round 1, and make the top 6 teams that didn't win their division have to play that same week as well. That way it is already at 8 after the conference championship weekend.

I don't know how you can possibly have a 8 team playoff where the conference champs are penalized for winning their division in essence. You can just "pick" 3 teams that didn't have to play that 13th game (the conference championship game) and say that is fair.

Fair? It was never about being fair. It's always been about revenue.

Fair? It was never about being fair. It's always been about revenue.

Agree, that is why they will add 3 other games to go along with the 5 championship games. Heck call it the play in games to the playoffs if you want. More teams in, more money. Even if you don't call this a "16 team playoff", that is what it is, and rating would be awesome for those 8 games to see who gets into the playoffs. Either way, that gives the top 16 teams a shot of making a 8 team playoff.

I think ideally you also move the Championship week up one week. So now these 8 games (Championship week) are played over Thanksgiving weekend. The winners are then re seeded, and you play the first round of the playoff games the first weekend of Dec.

That way everything else stays the same. Bowl games are basically consolation games, which is kind of how it has always been anyway. Move the final 4 games to New Years day. Those are the biggest games, it is silly to play them New Year's eve. Just play one before the Rose Bowl and one after the Rose Bowl, and sometimes the Rose Bowl is the game anyway.

I thought 8 was the way to go from the start... Kinda surprised they haven't torn up whatever contracts are currently involved to have done it already. Between the money (#1 reason) and all the buzz about the subjectivity to who gets in the final 4 I'd think going to 8 and having 5 automatics would just settle that. With 3 at larges it still gives to some subjectivity but it'd take a Cinderella story for any of those bottom teams to knock off the top 2 or 4 teams. It'd have more of an NCAA hoops tourney feel to it. Which most can't seem to get enough of.

Agree, that is why they will add 3 other games to go along with the 5 championship games. Heck call it the play in games to the playoffs if you want. More teams in, more money. Even if you don't call this a "16 team playoff", that is what it is, and rating would be awesome for those 8 games to see who gets into the playoffs. Either way, that gives the top 16 teams a shot of making a 8 team playoff.

I think ideally you also move the Championship week up one week. So now these 8 games (Championship week) are played over Thanksgiving weekend. The winners are then re seeded, and you play the first round of the playoff games the first weekend of Dec.

That way everything else stays the same. Bowl games are basically consolation games, which is kind of how it has always been anyway. Move the final 4 games to New Years day. Those are the biggest games, it is silly to play them New Year's eve. Just play one before the Rose Bowl and one after the Rose Bowl, and sometimes the Rose Bowl is the game anyway.

I think it's a brilliant idea and I have been wanting it all along. The more teams who have a chance the more interest from fans. I think it will eventually happen.

Here's how I would do it:
  • 8 Teams
  • 5 Automatic Bids - Power 5 Champions
  • 3 At Large Bids
  • Higher seed has home field advantage
  • Week 15 (Dec 9th) - Elite Eight
  • Week 16 - (Dec 16th) - Final Four
  • Final Four games would be played at 11:00 and 2:30
  • After the Final Four games are played you would have the Bowl Game Selection Show
  • New Years 6 Bowls would be - Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Peach
  • National Championship Game rotates to different sites (could be NFL stadiums or classic college football locations)
  • Change the requirement to make bowl games to 7 wins and eliminate unnecessary bowls

Nailed it. Always what I thougth. Not Rocket Surgery Scientist.

The stated objective at this time is to ensure the best 2 teams play for the title. I think they are getting that part right.

This is not a bad idea. Nice work.

Latest posts