Excellent article

On the opposite end is Indiana, but Hoosiers coach Tom Allen has his reasons. And they're sound.

"If you don't offer certain kids early, you have no chance," he said by telephone. "Other times you're making an offer because you want him to come to your camp. And we recruit nationally, so an offer can get your name out there. It puts IU on Twitter and can help to establish the brand."

This is precisely why ISU is doing the right thing in extending the number of offers they do. For the life of me I can't figure out why anybody thinks this is bad or even something worth worrying about at all.

What happens when they all accept?

They won't, so it's pointless to worry about.

On the opposite end is Indiana, but Hoosiers coach Tom Allen has his reasons. And they're sound.

"If you don't offer certain kids early, you have no chance," he said by telephone. "Other times you're making an offer because you want him to come to your camp. And we recruit nationally, so an offer can get your name out there. It puts IU on Twitter and can help to establish the brand."

This is precisely why ISU is doing the right thing in extending the number of offers they do. For the life of me I can't figure out why anybody thinks this is bad or even something worth worrying about at all.

Probably bc some Clown coaches don't know how Twitter works. That, or they don't mind exhibiting Clown behavior for all to see.

Have what advantage? Like you said, distance is a 2-way thing.

But how's this: in the KF era, that Nebraska team everybody here loves to mock is 9-3 against the clowns (haven't played since 2010). Not much of a trip there, right?

Hell it took ISU winning the last 3 to pull them ahead of shitty Kansas in the KF era (11-8). So, up until these last 3 years, the clowns were only 8-8 against Kansas but 9-7 against Iowa!

You know, I actually just looked it up but ISU is 0-10 in the last 10 against KSU, and 9 of the 10 games were decided by 8 points or less. Most of the games were actually under 7. Gosh that's a brutal series for ISU.

Probably bc some Clown coaches don't know how Twitter works. That, or they don't mind exhibiting Clown behavior for all to see.

Super douche move by that coach, but everything you said had absolutely nothing to do with the number of offers extended.

This is precisely why ISU is doing the right thing in extending the number of offers they do. For the life of me I can't figure out why anybody thinks this is bad
It's like playing the stock market, except with human beings. It has nothing to do with their education or helping them to achieve their goals in life. It's relying on luck through numbers, those numbers being human beings.
Not only do I see no talent in that, I find it kind of disgusting.

Last edited:
It's like playing the stock market, except with human beings. It has nothing to do with their education or helping them to achieve their goals in life. It's relying on luck through numbers, those numbers being human beings.
Not only do I see no talent in that, I find it kind of disgusting.

I think you're overstating this to an absolutely huge degree. I don't think it's any of those things, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. This coaching staff cares much more about the classroom than previous ones did and that's straight from the mouths of the players. It might be a cattle call in recruiting but once they get on campus this staff invests in the guys.

I think you're overstating this to an absolutely huge degree. I don't think it's any of those things, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. This coaching staff cares much more about the classroom than previous ones did and that's straight from the mouths of the players. It might be a cattle call in recruiting but once they get on campus this staff invests in the guys.

When you offer that many, where is the skill in that? Where is the this is a person and their family? There certainly isn't any I want this one, because really any of the other 50 offered for that position we will take.
It's like a salesman, keep knocking on doors, keep trying to sell your goods, and eventually you'll make a sale. Playing the numbers, right??
Just like playing the stock market, it's much easier if you have 100's and hundreds of different stocks. If one doesn't work out no biggie. Except the hundreds of stocks are people, trying to make a decision for their and their families and future.
Someone mentioned it to carpet bombing. No big deal if a few innocents die right? It's to be expected.
That tactic in war, in investing, sales and in recruiting is designed for one single thing. For the person employing that tactic to be somewhat successful, regardless of anything else and certainly regardless of anyone else. Just like if you don't care if a couple out of a 100 stocks don't make it. Acceptable casualties of war or doing business. Right?

Last edited:

Obviously a failed attempt at humor. I do agree, it's pointless, but then, worrying about anything regarding recruiting, particularly the recruiting by other schools, is pointless. I believe the Iowa coaches identify the kids who they think are best suited for their program, hopefully, though not at all likely, they'll get all of the ones they want, as there seems to be a strong parallel between good players and successful seasons. :) I like reading about who Iowa is interested in, I'm not denigrating that reporting, but why a 17-18 year kid decides to go to one school over another is too difficult to understand, much less worry about.

When you offer that many, where is the skill in that? Where is the this is a person and their family?
It's like a salesman, keep knocking on doors, keep trying to sell your goods, and eventually you'll make a sale. Playing the numbers, right??
Just like playing the stock market, it's much easier if you have 100's and hundreds of different stocks. If one doesn't work out no biggie. Except the hundreds of stocks are people, trying to make a decision for their and their families and future.
Someone mentioned it to carpet bombing. No big deal if a few innocents die right? It's to be expected.
That tactic in war, in investing, sales and in recruiting is designed for one single thing. For the person employing that tactic to be successful, regardless of anything else and certainly regardless of anyone else.

Again, we can agree to disagree. If it were as simple as offering a ton of kids = great recruiting, this wouldn't be an outlier of a method. Everybody would be doing it.

Recruiting is sales. You're selling the program. ISU is a pretty tough program to sell in regard to it's peers, so it needs to get creative. Obviously this is one method this staff is trying.

Here is where your analogy falls apart: For the person employing that tactic to be successful, regardless of anything else and certainly regardless of anyone else. Well, of course they are employing it to be successful. However, you can't compare recruiting a kid to your school the same as selling a vacuum. Getting them on campus is only half the battle. You have you invest in those kids, create the right type of atmosphere, and develop their talent. Once you sell the vacuum you probably don't care if you ever speak to that person again.

How does sending out less offers make Iowa Superior to those that offer more? Nebraska recruits nationally, Iowa really doesn’t. Schools that recruit nationally tend to offer more players.

I think the real question is would Frost yank an offer after a kid accepted if someone prettier came along that wanted to dance. Kirk stands firm once accepted. How about Scotty?

Have what advantage? Like you said, distance is a 2-way thing.

But how's this: in the KF era, that Nebraska team everybody here loves to mock is 9-3 against the clowns (haven't played since 2010). Not much of a trip there, right?

Hell it took ISU winning the last 3 to pull them ahead of shitty Kansas in the KF era (11-8). So, up until these last 3 years, the clowns were only 8-8 against Kansas but 9-7 against Iowa!

Mangino!!!!

Again, we can agree to disagree. If it were as simple as offering a ton of kids = great recruiting, this wouldn't be an outlier of a method. Everybody would be doing it.

Recruiting is sales. You're selling the program. ISU is a pretty tough program to sell in regard to it's peers, so it needs to get creative. Obviously this is one method this staff is trying.

Here is where your analogy falls apart: For the person employing that tactic to be successful, regardless of anything else and certainly regardless of anyone else. Well, of course they are employing it to be successful. However, you can't compare recruiting a kid to your school the same as selling a vacuum. Getting them on campus is only half the battle. You have you invest in those kids, create the right type of atmosphere, and develop their talent. Once you sell the vacuum you probably don't care if you ever speak to that person again.

#1 everyone IS employing that strategy.
#2 I get you think it's about sales. Most do.
My question is if what you are offering is of value, why would you have to sell it in such a way?
Why would you have to sell it to so many?
Honestly when was the last time someone sold you something and they gave two craps about you after?? I don't know if that has ever happened.
At the end of the day it's like an internet dating site, if you say yes to hundreds and hundreds your chances of getting some goes up. However is that the kind of girl you want to date? One that says yes and offers everyone? Is that who you want your child to date?
As BF said, what is an offer like that really worth??

Last edited:
I think the real question is would Frost yank an offer after a kid accepted if someone prettier came along that wanted to dance. Kirk stands firm once accepted. How about Scotty?

Yeah it doesn't matter how many offers you make, but once a kid commits do you reserve a spot for him, or do you wait to see who else you can get?

< cough Harbaugh cough >

Yeah it doesn't matter how many offers you make, but once a kid commits do you reserve a spot for him, or do you wait to see who else you can get?

< cough Harbaugh cough >
Exactly. Questionable morals are an indication of questionable motives. Usually selfishly based.

My question is if what you are offering is of value, why would you have to sell it in such a way?
Why would you have to sell it to so many?
Honestly when was the last time someone sold you something and they gave two craps about you after?? I don't know if that has ever happened.
At the end of the day it's like an internet dating site, if you say yes to hundreds and hundreds your chances of getting some goes up. However is that the kind of girl you want to date? One that says yes and offers everyone? Is that who you want your child to date?
As BF said, what is an offer like that really worth??

I think it's like hiring. My company casts a pretty wide net. However, it's a dang great place to work and once they make the choice to bring you in, they spend a lot of time training you and getting you prepped for the job. I think ISU employs a similar strategy.

I think it's like hiring. My company casts a pretty wide net. However, it's a dang great place to work and once they make the choice to bring you in, they spend a lot of time training you and getting you prepped for the job. I think ISU employs a similar strategy.
Or it's like companies who cast a wide net saying you can make up to...... But really they always pay far below that. They don't care if you quit after 6 months or a year, because they are always casting a wide net and were playing the numbers that they won't ever have to pay you or anyone that amount for the position.
That tatic is widespread.
Not all places are like that, but they are not always hiring and are more selective and harder to get into.
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can simplify most things and I've gotten really good at spotting bs. Probably because I've stepped in it, fallen face first into it, rolled around in it, several times.

Last edited:

Latest posts