Every 2017 4th Down Conversion

Yeah, I like those condensed versions of an aspect of the football season. What I really noticed was the score in some of those games, Wyoming and N Texas the hawks werent scoring very much, they were behind well into the games, the offense was struggling early in the season, yes they beat both of those teams but it showed the issues that would hamper them against MSU and jNW, two huge games that would break the season. The hawks need to score more period and if they could have mustered wins against those two teams the hawks look so much better at 6-3 tied for 2nd in the west and 9-3 regular season and 10-3 maybe after the bowl because the hawks probably play a better bowl opponent not that BC wasnt tough.

I'd pretty much forgotten about that fake punt against Illinois. I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of play busted out more often. It'd be easy to sneak in an athlete to take that snap and go just like Hooker did. Those plays don't just go for 5 to 10 yards they often break free for big big plays.

Yeah, I like those condensed versions of an aspect of the football season. What I really noticed was the score in some of those games, Wyoming and N Texas the hawks werent scoring very much, they were behind well into the games, the offense was struggling early in the season, yes they beat both of those teams but it showed the issues that would hamper them against MSU and jNW, two huge games that would break the season. The hawks need to score more period and if they could have mustered wins against those two teams the hawks look so much better at 6-3 tied for 2nd in the west and 9-3 regular season and 10-3 maybe after the bowl because the hawks probably play a better bowl opponent not that BC wasnt tough.
Yeah the amount of logic involved with how Iowa can struggle against Wyoming and North Texas (not to mention lose to Purdue) for any length of time on the same field they destroyed OSU in every facet of the game is just next to none. Iowa for years now could really help themselves by just taking care of business early and often in the season. It seems like early on Iowa is experimenting and tries to define roles for players on the fly. What the heck were they doing all August long in practice leading up to the season?? Granted I don't expect week 6 execution necessarily in week 1 but damn. Something a lot closer to it sure isn't asking too much

Nice highlights...but that f****** Purdue score. That was the one that got away in 2017.

Yes, but lets hardly discuss it. It was mostly a coaching loss and I am pretty sure we saw the coaches learn from it the next week against Nebby. I hope the offense has a better sense of urgency to score more than they did in some of those losses. Not that they dont want to score but the coaches sometimes play so friggin tight.

Yes, but lets hardly discuss it. It was mostly a coaching loss and I am pretty sure we saw the coaches learn from it the next week against Nebby. I hope the offense has a better sense of urgency to score more than they did in some of those losses. Not that they dont want to score but the coaches sometimes play so friggin tight.

There's a phrase for this... lemme think...uh... oh yeah.

"Playing not-to-lose". That's why the Purdue game was the annual (nearly annual) KFz turd game for 2017

I think it's worth noting that against North Texas that Iowa was close to scoring but Easley's fumble out of bounds resulted in a touchback instead of points. Iowa also scored a touchdown on each possession in the second half except for when they ran out the clock, which is what you'd hope for against a Group of 5 opponent. This is just my opinion regarding MSU, but I think the offense was about to get something good going in the 2nd half, but were undermined by the intercumble inside the 10 yard line and Brandon Smith's fumble on the screen. Change those possessions to a TD and a FG and Iowa wins the game. Wisconsin to me is explainable because of how great Wisconsin's D was last season and it was the first big game of their season at home. I was at the game and atmosphere (some of it pumped up by the speakers) was pretty high end. As for Purdue and Northwestern, well I don't have reasonable explanations for those aside from the coaches and the players didn't perform well enough and could have/should have been better.

None of this is to say that this offense was some sort of sleeping giant because it wasn't, but it wasn't quite as bad as some suggest in my opinion. The retort to this is to show the stats that make Iowa's offense look particularly poor. But looking back at Iowa's schedule, they played 4 teams that finished in the top 15 in defensive yards per play, 5 in the top 25 and 6 in the top 40. In football outsiders OFEI which is Offensive Efficiency adjusted for the strength of the defense faced, Iowa finished #42 overall, #29 among Power 5 teams, and #4 in the Big 10. The #4 in the Big 10 kind of surprised me, but #42 overall and #29 among Power 5 teams didn't. It was an average offense that could at times play above that level and at times play below it.

I'd pretty much forgotten about that fake punt against Illinois. I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of play busted out more often. It'd be easy to sneak in an athlete to take that snap and go just like Hooker did. Those plays don't just go for 5 to 10 yards they often break free for big big plays.
Funnily enough, Illinois should have known something was up. I don't think we've ever come out in a punt formation like that. Their coaches should have been screaming for something outside-the-box.

Funnily enough, Illinois should have known something was up. I don't think we've ever come out in a punt formation like that. Their coaches should have been screaming for something outside-the-box.
Yeah you'd think if nothing else they should have called a TO. I'd bet Iowa doesn't run it if they do that. Or at least they'd have done something different. But that pretty much surmises what the Lovie Smith tenure is all about.

Latest posts