Everson--What now?

Bkjones

So he's charged with assualt...a simple misdemeaner instead of a felony. Question is...now that he was found guilty of with a much lesser crime than originally charged, does the coaching staff pursue Everson? I mean the whole thing was ugly, no doubt, but based on the ruling of the court does the kid get a second chance? Putting it into perspective, an assault could be something like punching a cab driver. ;)
I'm guessing the staff just washes their hands and moves on. But Everson's family said that his playing days aren't necessarily over. Will this kid ever be a Hawkeye? Thoughts?

I assume not. From what I have heard he has not kept up his playing shape at all. I don't even know if he has touched a football since things went down in 2007. Plus, even though he only got charged with simple assault, there is still a stigma that is following him around. Something I don't think Kirk would want back on the team.

I would have to think Everson would want to get out of Iowa City as soon as possible. Regardless of the fact that he was convicted of only simple assault, many people in Iowa will always think of him as "one of the football players who raped the unconscious girl." Plus, he is not from Iowa. Why would he want to stick around?

Secondly, I cannot imagine Ferentz would think about taking him back. He flat out lied to Ferentz about what happened that night. Ferentz testifed for the prosecution regarding how Everson lied to him. I tend to think that would put a strain on their relationship.

I assume not. From what I have heard he has not kept up his playing shape at all. I don't even know if he has touched a football since things went down in 2007. Plus, even though he only got charged with simple assault, there is still a stigma that is following him around. Something I don't think Kirk would want back on the team.

Did he ever end up going or playing at Alcorn St.?

Did he ever end up going or playing at Alcorn St.?

I'm not sure. I just remember watching the news when the trial started and I can't remember the words they used but they basically said he didn't look like he was in football shape at all. I also heard he is married now and already has a kid.

He's also apparently married now and has a young daughter. Not that this would preclude him from playing college football anymore, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I don't believe Everson played after leaving. I think Satterfield played somewhere, but I can't remember where.

2011 would be year 5 of his clock. he cannot play for iowa.

My understanding is if you aren't playing...your clock doesn't tick.

Everson's family mentioned something to the effect of Everson being interested in the medical field. That's what made me wonder if he would consider Iowa.

And just because he's got a wifey and some kids, doesn't mean the kid wouldn't play ball if he had the chance.

Everson's family mentioned something to the effect of Everson being interested in the medical field. That's what made me wonder if he would consider Iowa.

And just because he's got a wifey and some kids, doesn't mean the kid wouldn't play ball if he had the chance.

Maybe not for NCAA eligibility, but it certainly does biologically. There tends to be a peak age for players, and after 5 years of no practice, no game experience, his usefulness to a DI school would be diminished significantly, no? Plus guilty or not, allowing a player who went through such a trial to return would be pretty bad for the team's image, IMO.

Maybe not for NCAA eligibility, but it certainly does biologically. There tends to be a peak age for players, and after 5 years of no practice, no game experience, his usefulness to a DI school would be diminished significantly, no? Plus guilty or not, allowing a player who went through such a trial to return would be pretty bad for the team's image, IMO.

Both good points.

I would agree that you do eventually peak in performance, but that doesnt happen until 30. Look at pro sports. Being out for so long would set him back for sure, but you can't say it's not possible (ie Michael Vick). It really sucks for him that he was guilty until proven innocent, but that's the way it works. I think assualt on a girl would get you kick off anyway. Not sure.

This is incorrect...

once you start playing (or are on the team) the 5-year clock starts. Exceptions are made for Mormon kids who go on two-year missions, their eligibility clock is suspended while on their missions. And the occasional player will get a 6th year of eligibility (think Jess Settles). Being kicked off a football team and sorting through legal issues does not suspend the eligibility clock.

Looks like Everson would have one year if he went to a team this year, but would likely have to be a FCS team so that he would not have to sit out a year after transferring.

I would agree that you do eventually peak in performance, but that doesnt happen until 30. Look at pro sports. Being out for so long would set him back for sure, but you can't say it's not possible (ie Michael Vick). It really sucks for him that he was guilty until proven innocent, but that's the way it works. I think assualt on a girl would get you kick off anyway. Not sure.

When it comes to college sports, you have a VERY limited window of opportunity. Everson has what, one year left? That's not enough time for him to get back into playing shape, grasp the schemes, and crack the lineup. Vick had the advantages of being 1. one of the most gifted athletes of the last 25 years, and 2. an NFL player at the time of his crimes. He had TIME to get himself ready to play again.

The NCAA rule is that the five years to play four starts ticking as soon as the individual enrolls in school. It does not stop ticking regardless of the situation. Eversons five years began ticking as soon as he enrolled in Iowa.

In other words, if an individual graduates from high school, enlists in the Marines, signs a baseball contract, or whatever; the clock does not begin ticking. You see many ex-baseball players, playing football in their mid to late twenties.

As an example, Chris Weinke spent six years in the Blue Jays organization after high school. He enrolled at Florida State as a twenty-five year-old freshman.

Latest posts