Everson--What now?

The NCAA rule is that the five years to play four starts ticking as soon as the individual enrolls in school. It does not stop ticking regardless of the situation. Eversons five years began ticking as soon as he enrolled in Iowa.

In other words, if an individual graduates from high school, enlists in the Marines, signs a baseball contract, or whatever; the clock does not begin ticking. You see many ex-baseball players, playing football in their mid to late twenties.

As an example, Chris Weinke spent six years in the Blue Jays organization after high school. He enrolled at Florida State as a twenty-five year-old freshman.

This explains why Paul Blake played for Texas State in his mid 30's. Never enrolled in college out of high school so his eligiability clock never started. Those Fightin' Armidillos could have had a dynasty built if they wouldnt have been dealt those nasty NCAA sanctions. What could have been.

I would have to think Everson would want to get out of Iowa City as soon as possible. Regardless of the fact that he was convicted of only simple assault, many people in Iowa will always think of him as "one of the football players who raped the unconscious girl." Plus, he is not from Iowa. Why would he want to stick around?

Secondly, I cannot imagine Ferentz would think about taking him back. He flat out lied to Ferentz about what happened that night. Ferentz testifed for the prosecution regarding how Everson lied to him. I tend to think that would put a strain on their relationship.

#1. Ferentz wouldn't want him back - he's had enough PR nightmares as it is.

#2. I can't imagine Ferentz would want a player with 1 year of eligibility, who has been out of the game for several years.

#3. I can't imagine Everson would want to spend 1 minute of his time being in Iowa City. He'd never escape it.

Latest posts