Ever get the feeling Fran is coaching little league?

longtimer

Seems like several starters are out within the first 5 minutes (I think Cook was out this past game at about the minute mark)and Connor and Daily are both logging major minutes by the 10 minute mark. Maybe Fran should think about letting the same 5 play a bit longer together. Maybe it would help the chemistry. I coached both my son in baseball and daughter in softball and I made sure everyone got to play, but I'm not sure that should apply to college basketball?

And while I'm on my morning rant can you posters that keep suggesting we will be good in 2 years maybe quit for awhile? I have been hearing that for the better part of 9 years and I'm kind of down on Groundhog day especially after this winter. Thanx

Fran is much quicker to sub 3 or 4 guys at a time, where you don't see that so much from most coaches. It's almost like hockey line changes.

I've noticed that as Conner's minutes increased so did the team's misfortunes.

Connor played a ton at the beginning of the year and was probably our second best guard for the first 10 games or so. Did his minutes really increase the last 6 games or so or are you just looking for reasons to dis him?

Seems like several starters are out within the first 5 minutes (I think Cook was out this past game at about the minute mark)and Connor and Daily are both logging major minutes by the 10 minute mark. Maybe Fran should think about letting the same 5 play a bit longer together. Maybe it would help the chemistry. I coached both my son in baseball and daughter in softball and I made sure everyone got to play, but I'm not sure that should apply to college basketball?

And while I'm on my morning rant can you posters that keep suggesting we will be good in 2 years maybe quit for awhile? I have been hearing that for the better part of 9 years and I'm kind of down on Groundhog day especially after this winter. Thanx

Most years the people saying that have been right. The problem is that some people's definition of "good" changes to just higher than where we finish.

I've noticed that as Conner's minutes increased so did the team's misfortunes.
In Big Ten play, his minutes in wins is 18.2/game, and his minutes in losses is remarkably, 18.2/game.

In this 4 game losing streak his minutes have actually been less, 16.75. So, it's not minutes, but his play has not been as good - 4.75 pts/game, 31.2% shooting, 5 Assists, 9 Turnovers, 4 Rebounds. I think one thinks when someone is struggling out there, why are they getting so many minutes, as at that point, any minutes are too many. But, what can Fran do, Moss hasn't been good, and JBo is already at near max minutes? I know, recruit better guards.

In Big Ten play, his minutes in wins is 18.2/game, and his minutes in losses is remarkably, 18.2/game.

In this 4 game losing streak his minutes have actually been less, 16.75. So, it's not minutes, but his play has not been as good - 4.75 pts/game, 31.2% shooting, 5 Assists, 9 Turnovers, 4 Rebounds. I think one thinks when someone is struggling out there, why are they getting so many minutes, as at that point, any minutes are too many. But, what can Fran do, Moss hasn't been good, and JBo is already at near max minutes? I know, recruit better guards.

Well said.

Connor played a ton at the beginning of the year and was probably our second best guard for the first 10 games or so. Did his minutes really increase the last 6 games or so or are you just looking for reasons to dis him?
The first 6 B1G games Conner averaged 17.33 minutes per game, the last 6 he averaged 17.8 minutes. Not a significant difference I will admit. However, the number of shots taken (with a low percentage made), turn-overs and personal fouls increased dramatically. And no I don't like him, he is a hot headed POS like his daddy.

The first 6 B1G games Conner averaged 17.33 minutes per game, the last 6 he averaged 17.8 minutes. Not a significant difference I will admit. However, the number of shots taken (with a low percentage made), turn-overs and personal fouls increased dramatically. And no I don't like him, he is a hot headed POS like his daddy.

He is a POS? Really? Obviously you know him really well. Are you related? A good friend? Stop acting like a jerk.

He is a POS? Really? Obviously you know him really well. Are you related? A good friend? Stop acting like a jerk.
Did you watch him play this year? He whined every time he was touched, complained about every call, mouthing back to his coach...yes his dad. . Lost his temper twice that I remember, so yes, he is a POS, and I wish that he were on another team And yes I have heard stories about him in the IC area.

Earlier in the conference season he was going with the starters well past the first media timeout, usually inserting the first subs around the thirteen minute mark. So yes, he has been inserting subs earlier in the game.

and there's the risk of coaching your own kids... I'm tellin' ya...unless this team excels and makes a Sweet 16...it's not gonna end well for the McCafferys

Well, we have some proof here this may just be the case.....eye witnesses report Coach Mcaffery left his playbook behind at practice today:

31-bball-drills-1.jpg

Did you watch him play this year? He whined every time he was touched, complained about every call, mouthing back to his coach...yes his dad. . Lost his temper twice that I remember, so yes, he is a POS, and I wish that he were on another team And yes I have heard stories about him in the IC area.

You are clearly little more than a cowardly internet bully.

Last game he went to Dailey early and took out Wieskamp . Wtf????? Wieskamp just made something happen and made a great play. His substitutions make zero sense considering Dailey only played 4 minutes . If that’s the case why play Dailey at all?

Conner had a few good games early when JBo finally broke out. During that time he fed JBo quite well. That said it is obvious his ball handling skills aren't D1 as a guard. He doesn't shoot with good enough form to be a shooter and he doesn't really dribble drive. He passes quite well when pressure is not on.

My guess he leaves the program after next year.

Patrick's low release point on shooting isn't going to work in D1.

I am sure Conner and Patrick see the floor quite well which is a huge benefit if the other aspects are normal. Conner is like the coach on refs.

Refs don't like Iowa. It is not because of black and gold...I think. Maybe they do hate black and gold. They HATE US.

tenor.gif