Ever get the feeling Fran is coaching little league?

Seems like several starters are out within the first 5 minutes (I think Cook was out this past game at about the minute mark)and Connor and Daily are both logging major minutes by the 10 minute mark. Maybe Fran should think about letting the same 5 play a bit longer together. Maybe it would help the chemistry. I coached both my son in baseball and daughter in softball and I made sure everyone got to play, but I'm not sure that should apply to college basketball?

And while I'm on my morning rant can you posters that keep suggesting we will be good in 2 years maybe quit for awhile? I have been hearing that for the better part of 9 years and I'm kind of down on Groundhog day especially after this winter. Thanx

Wieskamp is the one who gets pulled too soon in my opinion. I realize he had some back problems earlier in the season, but IF he’s healthy now, the offense should run through him. He has the most complete skill set of anyone on the team and it isn’t even close. He has the best ability to keep his dribble alive and take it to the rim. Good things usually happen when he does this (Michigan). If he misses, Cook can be there to clean it up.

I’d love to see Joe at least triple his shots and put the team on his back. He needs to lose the ‘I’m just a freshman’ mindset in the tournaments. I think it’s Iowa’s only chance.

In Big Ten play, his minutes in wins is 18.2/game, and his minutes in losses is remarkably, 18.2/game.

In this 4 game losing streak his minutes have actually been less, 16.75. So, it's not minutes, but his play has not been as good - 4.75 pts/game, 31.2% shooting, 5 Assists, 9 Turnovers, 4 Rebounds.
i’d bet looking at connor’s play would be this formula

baseball practice starts + 2 weeks = poor play on the court.

You have no idea how much backbone I have. No idea. Block me if I bother you so much.
I'll take you up on that snowflake,....my first ever block, congratulations. You contribute nothing to the conversation, go away.

Last edited:
Seems like several starters are out within the first 5 minutes (I think Cook was out this past game at about the minute mark)and Connor and Daily are both logging major minutes by the 10 minute mark. Maybe Fran should think about letting the same 5 play a bit longer together. Maybe it would help the chemistry. I coached both my son in baseball and daughter in softball and I made sure everyone got to play, but I'm not sure that should apply to college basketball?

And while I'm on my morning rant can you posters that keep suggesting we will be good in 2 years maybe quit for awhile? I have been hearing that for the better part of 9 years and I'm kind of down on Groundhog day especially after this winter. Thanx
At TIMES the name FRAN turns my cold beer warm. Yo I drink more. Win Next! Hawk Players Tough...

I've noticed that as Conner's minutes increased so did the team's misfortunes.

Really seems like people are taking their hate for Fran out on Connor.

He had a bad game vs. Nebraska and he's got stuff to work on with his game for sure, but it's not like he was a complete disaster this year the way some are making him out to be.

Really seems like people are taking their hate for Fran out on Connor.

He had a bad game vs. Nebraska and he's got stuff to work on with his game for sure, but it's not like he was a complete disaster this year the way some are making him out to be.
I was wrong about his minutes increasing, no real difference from the first six games of the B1G to the last six. But his role changed, whether that was asked of him, or he took it upon himself. Towards the end of the season he was shooting more, turning it over more....just poor all around play. You are right, my attitude towards Fran and Conner are intertwined, both are undisciplined hot heads that are an embarrassment to the University of Iowa. But hey, don't take my word for it, listen to Jon's podcast about how bad Conner is.

Last edited:
I've never been able to understand Fran's crazy substitution patterns. It doesn't seem to matter how well you are playing, but at about the 16 minute mark the crazy rotations begin. I would like to ask Fran what drove his decision to sit down say Weiskamp when he is scoring and go with Dailey? Is Joe tired? Did he make a defensive mistake? Wonder if Fran has a strategy? Is he trying to wear down opposing teams by keeping players fresh? Whatever it is, it isn't working.

I was wrong about his minutes increasing, no real difference from the first six games of the B1G to the last six. But his role changed, whether that was asked of him, or he took it upon himself. Towards the end of the season he was shooting more, turning it over more....just poor all around play. You are right, my attitude towards Fran and Conner are intertwined, both are undisciplined hot heads that are an embarrassment to the University of Iowa. But hey, don't take my word for it, listen to Jon's podcast about how bad Conner is.

Lot of freshmen improve the next year or two.