Evaluating McCaffery

I acknowledge up front I have standards very high for my Iowa Hawkeyes sports teams so to some of you I am sure this post will seems far too critical of McCaffery.

The substituting patterns are highly questionable at times with McCaffery. Last night when MSU was making their run late was a perfect example. Often times I sit scratching my head with some of his substitutions.

Way off the mark by criticizing his overall ability. His sub patterns have hurt sometimes and I think we need a big man in against teams like msu.

But he is not having players leave the program, alford and lick kept recruiting and chasing away players. Mr. Davis won big time playing 9 players and lute could also>

Fran has turned this program around quicker than Anyone could have imagined.....

We were probably the worst team in D1 college ball, and nobody wanted to play for the Hawks. That's why lifetime Hawk lover Uthoff went to Wisconsin. That's also why it was so important for Josh to choose the Hawks. He was an elite player in Iowa ranked 122 nationally. He started the policy of keeping the elite players in the Hawkeye state, leading to Woody and Gesell, almost an Iowan choosing the Hawks.....

I am very pleased with the progress Fran has made. I also question some of his decisions, but Mr. Davis also would take players who were red hot out of the game at times for unknown reasons. Ours is not to reason why......

Gatens was awesome for a month of his career but his numbers are very inflated due to the teams he played on. If he was a freshman this year his numbers would probably end up about 60% of what they were.

Using the data available, I cannot comprehend how you derived this conclusion. Matt Gatens accumulated a three point shooting percentage of 40% his freshman season at Iowa, in defiance of his team's 15-17 record where he consequently became the second scoring option.

This present season, Iowa's best three point shooter produced a mere 34% success rate from three point range. While propositional logic forbids the assumption Gatens would produce similarly if he somehow brought equal talents to the previous season, anecdotally we can infer that he had a high probability for success with the team as constructed.

i think Fran has done a fantastic job, esp in recruiting and defense. he took a team that was pretty terrible at D last year and completely turned the team around. this team is only going to get better next year. sit back and actually enjoy a game for once. this team is really fun to watch. i know some around here just want to **** in people's cheerios, but i'm actually looking forward to the NIT games. i think we'll be able to put up some serious points and make a decent run.

i think Fran has done a fantastic job, esp in recruiting and defense. he took a team that was pretty terrible at D last year and completely turned the team around. this team is only going to get better next year. sit back and actually enjoy a game for once. this team is really fun to watch. i know some around here just want to **** in people's cheerios, but i'm actually looking forward to the NIT games. i think we'll be able to put up some serious points and make a decent run.

That's the spirit, Meat......

:cool:

We're currently #30 in Pomeroy and #28 in Sagarin, the true two measures of a team's overall quality. Last year Iowa was over 130 in Sagarin and Pomeroy. The improvement over last year is stunningly good, to say the least.

Your post is simply not fair and not accurate.

One thing I don't like is being manhandled by teams like MSU and even NW who played as dirty a game as I have seen in a while, trying to injure the Hawieye players......

I like Aaron and Woody's attitude however......

One thing I don't like is being manhandled by teams like MSU and even NW who played as dirty a game as I have seen in a while, trying to injure the Hawieye players......

by the time Woody is a junior he will be a beast..........

ref bashing aside, i really wish the big10 would try and clean up the very physical brand of ball they play. i think it does the whole conference absolutely no favors when it comes to tourney time. in the dance, the refs sometimes call it really tight, and then teams like Wisky and MSU go down early from getting in foul trouble. i have a feeling this will happen to Indiana this year.

I'm surprised a Clone Fan would admit Gatens is better than Scotty

Gatens was without a doubt better on d but I do think Scott was better on o, showed a real ability to drive his last two years. Both were excellent in their roles though.

My god, the dude who started this needs his head examined. He's got stupid locked up for life. Fran has done a remarkable job...not only in assembling this team, but in making huge improvements year over year. His rotation of ten includes 9 underclassman, most notably 3 freshmen, 3 sophs, and 3 juniors. This is a very young basketball team. This team made tremendous defensive improvement over the past three seasons in the toughest conference in the country. That is significant. His team is able to run their offensive stuff against the best defensive teams in the country as well as the most physical. They led the league in assisted field goals, meaning, they play team basketball and play unselfishly. The only downfall in this team this year is the inconsistency in shooting the basketball. This cost them several games including last night. MSU scored 59 points ...we had several looks down the stretch that were in the offense and we just couldn't get them down. Fran can't put it in the basket for them...he can just teach them how to work the offense to get good shots. If this was a better shooting team, we would be top 20 and most likely 4 in the B10. We just couldn't get the shots in the freaking hole.

If you look at the roster, we will be much much better next year. I like May alot and think he's a great team player. That being said, we now have enough options to overcome his loss without much difficulty. Another year of maturity for all these guys and we are going to be at or near the top of the league next year and a fun, fun team to watch. I"m hoping they embrace the NIT and make a run to the title...it will only help them in setting up next year.

Fran's a great coach, recruiter, and steward of Iowa Basketball. Get your head out of your *** and get on-board. We are a team on the rise in a big way.

My god, the dude who started this needs his head examined. He's got stupid locked up for life. Fran has done a remarkable job...not only in assembling this team, but in making huge improvements year over year. His rotation of ten includes 9 underclassman, most notably 3 freshmen, 3 sophs, and 3 juniors. This is a very young basketball team. This team made tremendous defensive improvement over the past three seasons in the toughest conference in the country. That is significant. His team is able to run their offensive stuff against the best defensive teams in the country as well as the most physical. They led the league in assisted field goals, meaning, they play team basketball and play unselfishly. The only downfall in this team this year is the inconsistency in shooting the basketball. This cost them several games including last night. MSU scored 59 points ...we had several looks down the stretch that were in the offense and we just couldn't get them down. Fran can't put it in the basket for them...he can just teach them how to work the offense to get good shots. If this was a better shooting team, we would be top 20 and most likely 4 in the B10. We just couldn't get the shots in the freaking hole.

If you look at the roster, we will be much much better next year. I like May alot and think he's a great team player. That being said, we now have enough options to overcome his loss without much difficulty. Another year of maturity for all these guys and we are going to be at or near the top of the league next year and a fun, fun team to watch. I"m hoping they embrace the NIT and make a run to the title...it will only help them in setting up next year.

Fran's a great coach, recruiter, and steward of Iowa Basketball. Get your head out of your *** and get on-board. We are a team on the rise in a big way.

We didn't need to be a better shooting team to get 4th in the league. We needed to make 1 more shot in 5 different games to get 1st in the league. If we were a better shooting team we would be a top 5 team right now with 1 loss in the big 10 to Michigan and maybe another to Ohio state.

Hoiberg inherited 6 players when he took over and NONE of them had star quality.

I am not sure how many players Fran inherited, but when it comes down to it, their upperclassmen are not going to be the better players of this bunch when all their careers are over with.

Iowa was the worst job in the BT when Fran took over and far worse than ISU's situation.

I acknowledge up front I have standards very high for my Iowa Hawkeyes sports teams so to some of you I am sure this post will seems far too critical of McCaffery.

Secondly, I do have some frustrations with the fact Fred Hoiberg at ISU took over a situation there every bit as bad as McCaffery did and argueably worse, and for the second year in a row has his team in the Big Dance. And Alford now has established his New Mexico program into a top 20 program over the past two years.

As I sit back and analyze the Iowa program now, there's no doubt we are in a better place today than three years ago when the Lickliter era was ending. We have more talent and we are more comepetitive.

However, there seem to be some shortcomings. I also struggle to find a lot of progress with the program from year 2 to year 3. To me this season was a disappointment from my expectations. Before the year started if someone had said 7 Big 10 teams will make the NCAA tourney, but Iowa won't be one of them, I never would have believed that.

McCaffery's teams, especially this one, just do not play smart or saavy at the end of games and consequently, seem to lose most of the close games. Is this all on the players or does the coach need to look himself in the mirror too?

The substituting patterns are highly questionable at times with McCaffery. Last night when MSU was making their run late was a perfect example. Often times I sit scratching my head with some of his substitutions.

BS. Show me where you expected Iowa to make the dance this year.

ref bashing aside, i really wish the big10 would try and clean up the very physical brand of ball they play. i think it does the whole conference absolutely no favors when it comes to tourney time. in the dance, the refs sometimes call it really tight, and then teams like Wisky and MSU go down early from getting in foul trouble. i have a feeling this will happen to Indiana this year.

It's not just the Big Ten, have you been watching the other conference tournaments?

The physical play takes over anytime it favors the "better" teams.

Secondly, I do have some frustrations with the fact Fred Hoiberg at ISU took over a situation there every bit as bad as McCaffery did and argueably worse, and for the second year in a row has his team in the Big Dance. And Alford now has established his New Mexico program into a top 20 program over the past two years.

As I sit back and analyze the Iowa program now, there's no doubt we are in a better place today than three years ago when the Lickliter era was ending. We have more talent and we are more comepetitive.

However, there seem to be some shortcomings. I also struggle to find a lot of progress with the program from year 2 to year 3. To me this season was a disappointment from my expectations. Before the year started if someone had said 7 Big 10 teams will make the NCAA tourney, but Iowa won't be one of them, I never would have believed that.

McCaffery's teams, especially this one, just do not play smart or saavy at the end of games and consequently, seem to lose most of the close games. Is this all on the players or does the coach need to look himself in the mirror too?

you forgot to put butt before pirate in your screen name chief, now get lost.

Latest posts