ESPN Weekend Picks

There is certainly hope that we can win and I would love to see it happen. With that said;

Craft will eat Sapp alive.

The game will be decided by how well we defend Ross and if Woody/Olaseni can hold up against Williams. I will go on record early to say that if McCabe plays more than 5 minutes at the C position, we will lose.

There is certainly hope that we can win and I would love to see it happen. With that said;

The game will be decided by how well we defend Ross and if Woody/Olaseni can hold up against Williams. I will go on record early to say that if McCabe plays more than 5 minutes at the C position, we will lose.

My key to the game is for Mike Gesell to have a good game for this very reason.

We all know what Craft means to the Buckeyes... not just on defense but also in creating penetration and opportunties for his teammates. Let him shoot from outside all he wants but don't let him drive.

The Creighton/Xavier game should be a good one on Sunday as well.

McCabe won't play 5 mins at the 5 spot, but we will still lose. But no shame in losing to a top 5 team on the road.

Guard play decides this game. Whoever wins the matchup in the backcourt most likely wins. Have to take care of the ball and not over dribble, which tends to happen with this team every once in awhile. If they don't take care of the ball Ohio State's guards will take advantage of it.

What will it take to win this game?

Gesell playing the best game of his career plus White being aggressive and attacking all game and having someone off the bench go for double digits. We can't give away possessions when we have a lot of our bench players in there. I just don't think we match up well with OSU as they have two of the best perimeter defenders in the country and are great at disrupting offenses.

I am more worried about how Gesell handles Craft's pressure than Sapp.

He has struggled against more physical guards and this could be a nightmare for him.

And I actually hope to see Fran play a lot of zone on Sunday.

He has struggled against more physical guards and this could be a nightmare for him.

Craft isn't even the best defender on OSU, Shannon Scott is better, but they are both terrific. You can't get passive when those guys are guarding you, which is what I'm afraid will happen to both Gesell and Clemmons and we'll end up with them picking up their dribble 25 feet from the basket.

Does anyone think they could put Craft on Marble and Scott on Gesell? If I remember right from the Mich St game, Scott guarded Appling, while Craft was on Gary Harris (their best player).

Both Craft and Scott are very good defenders, so it wouldn't matter much. But I think it's a possibility.

Totally hit it on the head. If there's one team in the BIG you want to zone, it's OSU. Their backcourt currently shoots 26% from three point range. The last team you'd want to zone is a good shooting team like Wisky or Michigan. Conversely zone opens up lobs from behind the zone to a guy like Sam Thompson but a team isn't going to rely on lobs for consistent offense.

Iowa scores 68+ and they win the game. I'll come back and own that prediction if they don't.

Does anyone think they could put Craft on Marble and Scott on Gesell? If I remember right from the Mich St game, Scott guarded Appling, while Craft was on Gary Harris (their best player).

Both Craft and Scott are very good defenders, so it wouldn't matter much. But I think it's a possibility.

Of course they could. He'd be giving up a few inches but he more than makes it up with strength. Wouldn't surprise me to see that the majority of the time.

Agreed. Might need to see Sapp step up in this one but not confident that will happen. Either way you chop it OSU looks to have the upper hand with Aaron "I'm not touching you" Craft playing the point.

I was about to say I didn't think so due to height. Marble is 6-6, where Harris is only 6-4 and Craft is 6-2.

But little did I realize that Scott is listed at 6-1. Craft is actually taller than Scott. That I did not realize.

I still think Marble is a touch matchup for Craft becuase he's giving up 4 inches. I'm not sure who they will put on him.

I was about to say I didn't think so due to height. Marble is 6-6, where Harris is only 6-4 and Craft is 6-2.

But little did I realize that Scott is listed at 6-1. Craft is actually taller than Scott. That I did not realize.

I still think Marble is a touch matchup for Craft becuase he's giving up 4 inches. I'm not sure who they will put on him.

Wisky put 6'1" Brust and 6'3" Gasser on White and Uthoff at times. The times they were guarding them Iowa didn't do a good job of exploiting it. A 6'2" Craft guarding a 6'6" Marble will not be an issue at all.

Wisky put 6'1" Brust and 6'3" Gasser on White and Uthoff at times. The times they were guarding them Iowa didn't do a good job of exploiting it. A 6'2" Craft guarding a 6'6" Marble will not be an issue at all.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Iowa didn't exploit White's mismatches against Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean they weren't mismatches. This might be a good time to get Marble working in the post a little; force Craft to defend a guy posting up, and maybe he gets into foul trouble. It's one thing to be good on the ball, but this would present a different situation for Craft, and one he might not be particularly comfortable in.

We have lots of guys that can score. White, Basabe and Uthoff could all have real good games. Ohio State has to win with defense because they are offensively challenged at times. If the Hawks bring their A game on defense I think we win. I think they will play their A game to welcome Fran back and take this one...71-66.

Latest posts