ESPN insider has Iowa finishing 9th in the Big Ten

It's actually a pretty positive breakdown, but then he goes on to predict 9th? Something doesn't add up. Or maybe ESPN wants all of their bases covered with the Hawks so one of their 100 analysts has to be right.

Exactly, and then Purdue's preview says thin recruiting classes have them outclassed, but it ranks them 6th. Of course, the article also talks about Donnie Hale's role on the team. Goes to show you how much ESPN guys care about facts and accuracy.

Exactly, and then Purdue's preview says thin recruiting classes have them outclassed, but it ranks them 6th. Of course, the article also talks about Donnie Hale's role on the team. Goes to show you how much ESPN guys care about facts and accuracy.

Maybe they should rename themselves from ESPN to SECN to be more reflective of their South, Southeastern bias.

Put me down for ten grand on anyone who wants to make that bet. Barring injuries third place in the conference is what I am predicting.

Put me down for 10 grand that they don't finish 3rd. I'd go with 6th or 7th because of the tougher conference schedule compared to most of the conference.

"With May gone, McCaffery hopes that Marble will take on more of a playmaking role"

I liked this comment. What does May being gone have to do with anyone's extra playmaking duties? (Note - I am not hating on May here at all)

Iowa was 6th last year, and three teams were 1 game behind them. So Iowa could have easily have been 9th last year. My main point is sometimes there isn't much of a difference in standings when you only play 18 conference games. A few close loses again this year could put Iowa away from being top 3 or 4.

Having said all that I probably think this ESPN prediction didn't do much research. However finishing 9th wouldn't be farfetched, although terribly disappointing and most likely a regression. I think Iowa can finish 3rd or 4th but I just want to see some games and stop looking into predictions. Winning feels damn good and so does proving the doubters wrong. Can't wait for this season.

Didn't a couple teams named Illinois/Minnesota make the tournament last year being in similar positions?

Iowa just needs to hold serve at home and win the games they are supposed to on the road and they will be NCAA bound.

Latest posts