ESPN: Five things this college basketball season has given us so far (Iowa is listed)

Written by: Eamonn Brennan of ESPN

Meanwhile, in Iowa City ... Any Iowa fans in the building? Ha, just kidding. Of course there aren't. Or, if there were, none would admit it. Because the 2009-10 Hawkeyes are one of the worst teams at any major conference school maybe in the past 10 years. You thought Indiana's six-win reclamation project last season was bad? These Hawkeyes lost to those Hoosiers, and in the offseason, coach Todd Lickliter lost three players and gained basically no one. This is not to pick on Iowa. Losing seasons and talent gaps of this magnitude are no fun for anyone. But it is borderline fascinating to watch the Hawkeyes play. It's grotesque.

Depressing isn't it? :(

Re: ESPN: Five things this college basketball season has given us so far (Iowa is lis

Thats sad but funny

Re: ESPN: Five things this college basketball season has given us so far (Iowa is lis

"Grotesque" is an appropriate word right now.

watching the drake game on tv made me fall asleep

ouch. Even with next years good recruiting class coming in, I don't see much improvement. I watched the Texas vs. North Carolina game this past weekend, and was amazed by the athleticism on both sides. I began to realize that Iowa will never get these types of players, at least with TL under the helm.

Last edited:

Stop it...Next year's class is Lick's savior according to some.

Of course there might not be anyone in Carver to watch. I still say, Barta should see about renting some of the local high school gyms and save energy in Carver.

This is a season where progress will not, nor should not, be measured soley by wins and losses. That's not an easy thing to do, nor an easy thing to digest.

Meanwhile, in Iowa City ... Any Iowa fans in the building? Ha, just kidding. Of course there aren't. Or, if there were, none would admit it. Because the 2009-10 Hawkeyes are one of the worst teams at any major conference school maybe in the past 10 years. You thought Indiana's six-win reclamation project last season was bad? These Hawkeyes lost to those Hoosiers, and in the offseason, coach Todd Lickliter lost three players and gained basically no one. This is not to pick on Iowa. Losing seasons and talent gaps of this magnitude are no fun for anyone. But it is borderline fascinating to watch the Hawkeyes play. It's grotesque.

Depressing isn't it? :(
These national guys who try to cute should at least get their basic facts correct. Lost 4 guys not three and Cully is certainly better than "basically no one." But, unfortunately, he comes closer than I would like to being accurate.

This is a season where progress will not, nor should not, be measured soley by wins and losses. That's not an easy thing to do, nor an easy thing to digest.

The problem is, we have been saying that now for all three of Lickliter's seasons at Iowa. Next year, if Lickliter is still here to see it, is one where we can not, and MUST not say that. We need to start winning games. I'm not saying win 25+, but we must get into the 17-20 range in my opinion. I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Purely hypothetical at this point, but I know that if we win 7 games this year, and win 14 next year, that some will point to the double in the number of wins and start talking about the amount of improvement. But Lickliter won 13 games his first year. 14 wins in year 4. Improvement? Acceptable? What are your thoughts?

To me, 14 wins in year 4 is not cutting it.

I think he's from the Quad Cities

ouch. Even with next years good recruiting class coming in, I don't see much improvement. I watched the Texas vs. North Carolina game this past weekend, and was amazed by the athleticism on both sides. I began to realize that Iowa will never get these types of players, at least with TL under the helm.

name the coach not named Raveling who has ever brought that kind of talent to iowa. don't blame that on Lickliter.

I just cannot believe this is the Iowa basketball program we are talking about.

One bad hire...one bad hire is all that separates Iowa from the dregs...be it basketball or football, IMO.

Didnt want to believe that, but there is no doubt. And the amount of energy and momentum to get out of this hole is significant.

Jon, would you go so far as to say "two bad hires"? I'm not sure I would, but given your view of the first post-Davis hire, I was wondering if you would.

One bad hire...one bad hire is all that separates Iowa from the dregs...be it basketball or football, IMO.

Didnt want to believe that, but there is no doubt. And the amount of energy and momentum to get out of this hole is significant.

Significant? How about enormous or monumental?

Jon:

Actually, I think its taken two bad hires. To me, its not that Lickliter is a bad coach or a bad hire for a given University... but I do think Coack Lick may be a mismatch as the Iowa basketball coach. I hope I'm wrong.

My one bad hire comment is not laying everything at Alford's feet. It's just that started it...and that slope is real slippery

Next year, if Lickliter is still here to see it, is one where we can not, and MUST not say that. We need to start winning games.

I completely agree with this statement.

How many wins, however, remains to be seen. This is not a static environment - while Lick and his staff are trying to make Iowa better, so is every coaching staff in the nation. Some will succeede, others will not. It's safe to say that the past two seasons, Lick has not succeeded. He may have built a foundation for future success. That is what we'll find out in the next 12 to 18 months.

Here's the backdrop/context I am using when thinking about Iowa hoops right now:

I believe when he was hired the program made a monumental shift in philosophy -- the two coaches are night & day different in what kind of offense they use and what type of players they want and need to run their offense. That is not Lick's fault, but Barta's.

Because of this shift, and other factors the program has been in steady decline for between two and five years. Meanwhile, teams the program schedules have been improving during that time span.

That's why win/loss is not the gauge this year. However, next season, the short straw year for me of his years at Iowa, wins/losses will be part of the measuring stick.

Too many players have left -- and they have left for a myriad of reasons. Family tradgedy, not liking the new coach, whatever the reason.

An attempt to rebuild is what is happening. That takes time and patience. Notre Dame went nine seasons without an NCAA bid after Digger Phelps left. I pray Iowa does not go that long - and if Iowa does, I fully expect by then we'll be talking about another set of coaches....likely the third or fourth group ... trying to get us back there.

Last edited:

Mr. Miller is accurate; as competitive as the Big Ten is, there is a very fine line between winning and losing.

Look at our football team this year; excellent recruiting and coaching brought is in at 10-2 and a big-time bowl game. But how close were we to 6-6 or 5-7? Very close (7 come-from-behind wins). It is a fine line. At least in football Kirk and his staff are recruiting enough quality athletes to keep us extremely competitive and competing for bowl games every year.

Lickliter must upgrade the talent level quickly. Can he really do it? How many more years to you give him? What is Miller's opinion? Two more years?

Latest posts