ESPN and Power Conferences

tmurph2643

This is an honest question and I was thinking about this today.

The media has been all over how bad the b10 is and has been in bowls. However, they never talk about how awful the Big East is, or how god awful the b12 is this year with Texas being the only good team in that league.

I know I am beating a dead horse here.. but how is it that teams like Boise State and Cincinnati can be rewarded for playing nobody. If I were Utah and Boise State I would be convincing the Pac 10 to jump to 12 teams and add them.

Pretty much ridiculous if you ask me. I am not saying Iowa is going to run the table, but if Texas gets rewarded for playing a cupcake schedule and goes to the NC title game ahead of Iowa... I will be beyond livid.

It is stupid that a team like Boise State's season is made on ONE FRICKEN GAME!! The first game of the year for that argument. I mean really. A team beats a top 20 team the first game of the year and now they are still inside the top 10 after almost losing to a pretty average at best Tulsa team?? Cincinnati is the same thing. They havent really played a tough schedule and their best win is at Oregon State by 10 or something like that. I know I am preaching to the choir but it is stupid that some of these teams are still in the top 10. TCU has played a pretty difficult schedule thus far and is maybe deserving of a top 10 ranking but they shouldnt be a top 5 team.......

I agree. The only team any analyst ever talks about in the Big XII is Texas (with the exception of one or two years where they added a team, i.e.-Missouri Oklahoma or Texas Tech). Other than that, the Big XII as a whole is just average. The Big East doesn't get recognized for a reason...because every team in there is slightly above average on a great year. Yes, Pitt and W Virginia and Cincy occassionally have a decent year, but they don't play the 'powerhouse' schools, even in non-conference games! How can you sit there and seriously suggest that they would stomp someone from a bigger conference who has a perfect record? Also, I understand that the Big 10 doesn't have a great track record overall in bowl games--but Iowa DOES! Ask anyone on the committees of the Orange, Outback, Capital One, or Alamo bowls who they would rather have play there...their choice of any Big East or Big XII team...or Iowa. We travel AMAZINGLY, we play with integrity and WIN most of our bowl games (against powerhouse teams and conferences...by a LOT -- ask Spurrier), and we are passionate about the game and the tradition that is that bowl game.

It is stupid that a team like Boise State's season is made on ONE FRICKEN GAME!! The first game of the year for that argument. I mean really. A team beats a top 20 team the first game of the year and now they are still inside the top 10 after almost losing to a pretty average at best Tulsa team?? Cincinnati is the same thing. They havent really played a tough schedule and their best win is at Oregon State by 10 or something like that. I know I am preaching to the choir but it is stupid that some of these teams are still in the top 10. TCU has played a pretty difficult schedule thus far and is maybe deserving of a top 10 ranking but they shouldnt be a top 5 team.......

I couldn't agree more, first the Mid-majors come in and start getting a bunch of bids in the BBall tourney(Drake #5 seed? who got the handy to make that happen seriously?) and now it is funnelling into FB...it bothers me because as noted above most of the poll voters only saw that ONE game...BSU, BYU, TCU, Utah have developed a formula of playing a "big" opponent right off the bat, bc they know that's their best chance to win, then use that one stupid game as proof that they are legit...its dumb

That's why we need to have a playoff and so that way we can eliminate the boise states and cinici's for the frauds that they are. But with the BCS system, they are both going to get a HEFTY paycheck and play in a GOOD bowl game. The BCS is a joke, I have never liked it.

Along with the argument above, why doesn't the Big Ten Schedule these PAC-10 teams & SEC teams to come to the midwest during November? We always travel to where they are at for the bowl games, its just stupid. If I were Delaney I would be pushing for this, have a Big 10 vs SEC Challenge and allow all those teams to come north one year and then we head south the next year, and just keep rotating it. Those so called "Power Conferences" don't know what its like to play in 30 degree weather! They couldn't handle it.

That's why we need to have a playoff and so that way we can eliminate the boise states and cinici's for the frauds that they are. But with the BCS system, they are both going to get a HEFTY paycheck and play in a GOOD bowl game. The BCS is a joke, I have never liked it.

Along with the argument above, why doesn't the Big Ten Schedule these PAC-10 teams & SEC teams to come to the midwest during November? We always travel to where they are at for the bowl games, its just stupid. If I were Delaney I would be pushing for this, have a Big 10 vs SEC Challenge and allow all those teams to come north one year and then we head south the next year, and just keep rotating it. Those so called "Power Conferences" don't know what its like to play in 30 degree weather! They couldn't handle it.

I think it is an official SEC bylaw that their teams are not allowed to cross north of the Mason Dixon Line after September...and personally I think we should just have a law that anyone under the Mason Dixon Line can not come north of it...but northerners can still go south of course we have to keep trying to install our correct views and moral virtue down there...Texas is not included in this ps...

You know... the Boise States, TCU, Cincinnati's, I don't know that they will ever be taken seriously for the national title game. They will get bcs bids because of a Utah beating Alabama, and a Boise State beating Oklahoma. Which I am fine with... it keeps things interesting! But if they ever end up in the title game I will be flipping out!

But if you look at the usual big east bcs team... very weak... and then you could possibly have a Texas filled cupcake schedule getting them into the national championship over an iowa team that could win at PSU, Wisky, and Ohio State in the same year... Ridiculous!

Here's the deal... ESPN And other networks are p'd off about the BIG Ten Network. It makes sense to bad mouth the Big Ten as the Big Ten Network steals ratings from ESPN And other networks when they show games. That may sound crazy, but think about it. ESPN analysts put down the Big Ten all the time, this could be one of the reasons.

Careful on the almost losing to a average team. I know a team like that and that teams fans don't appreciate the close win argument either. The fact is they win all their games. Hopefully in the future they can schedule up or move into a bcs conf.

Here's the deal... ESPN And other networks are p'd off about the BIG Ten Network. It makes sense to bad mouth the Big Ten as the Big Ten Network steals ratings from ESPN And other networks when they show games. That may sound crazy, but think about it. ESPN analysts put down the Big Ten all the time, this could be one of the reasons.

Plenty of live Big Ten games are still being broadcast on the ABC/ESPN family of networks - just as many as before.

The one place ESPN might be hurting is on ESPN Classic, but I haven't followed that closely to see if the Big Ten is featured less there since the BTN was born.