Epenesa- Combine

LicThawk

Figured I would do some homework on this slow Sunday and save everyone else the time. (compared to other DL)

40 yd dash- 27th best time. 5:04

bench- Tied for last. 17

veritcal- Tied for 8th. 32.5

broad jump. 11th. 117 inches

3 cone drill. 7th. 7:34

20 yrd shuttle. 10th. 4:46

Does he hang on and go in the first round with these numbers? Is this enough to doubt his early entry? Do these numbers mean shit? Thoughts?

In an interview he stated he wasn't happy with his overall performance but thought he was "fluid" in his LB drills. Said he looked forward to improving by pro day.

McShay stated he plays better than he tests but said his slow 40 time was a red flag mixed with his below avg. flexibility. Thinks he still goes day 1.

Last edited:
Wow. Im shocked by those numbers. I figured they would be a lot better.

I heard on the radio that these numbers dont matter that much except in a tie breaker between a couple players.

Im not certain he goes in the 1st round now.

Wow. Im shocked by those numbers. I figured they would be a lot better.

I heard on the radio that these numbers dont matter that much except in a tie breaker between a couple players.

Im not certain he goes in the 1st round now.
I think you guys are making a mistake if you think these numbers are going to knock him out of the first round. Look at the game film. What he was before he came into the combine is what he is and that’s a first round pick probably in the top half of the first round to anyone with eyes that understands football.

if you don’t know anything about football and you just look at the numbers I can see where you’re coming from. In any sport if you just look at the numbers in a vacuum you could be deceived. The real test is the game film, and we know what that looks like.

The bench press, I'm not sure what that proves, how many times you can lift the guy off you once you've been pancaked by him? Surprised by the 40 time, particularly with Wirfs going 4.85. Rest of the numbers are okay. Some teams will downgrade, for sure. A lot of teams also downgraded Desmond King. Both play pretty good football. Which is important since they're playing - football.

I think you guys are making a mistake if you think these numbers are going to knock him out of the first round. Look at the game film. What he was before he came into the combine is what he is and that’s a first round pick probably in the top half of the first round to anyone with eyes that understands football.

if you don’t know anything about football and you just look at the numbers I can see where you’re coming from. In any sport if you just look at the numbers in a vacuum you could be deceived. The real test is the game film, and we know what that looks like.

I think the big question and fact that is in game film is how quick does he accelerate to contain the edge and rush the passer, especially when he beats a blocker and has a clean line to the the QB.

I would want to know his 10 yard time and his acceleration rate. Lawrence Taylor, Wilbur Marshall and some more modern day rush ends and Lbkrs were just so explosive in their first two steps.

I guess the bench press can show how well you can shed a big tackle or other blocker.

Is it too late for him to come back? I'm no longer confident he goes in the first round. That was a really bad workout.

Well benching doesn't show that much true, but it also isn't all about chest strength. If it was it would be call "highest bench." It involves a lot of core strength to put that weight up repeatedly over numerous reps. if you wanted to try to block a guy that pushes up 225 1 time and is tired, or a guy that does it 30 times, who would you choose? He is going up against some of the strongest people on earth. I must matter some.

It may reflect ones ability to play every down with high level consistency or the need to take some off.

There’s no way around it...he had an awful combine.

At the same time, he has great film.

Both can be true at the same time.

AJE is a beast.

That being said, it doesn’t work one way. If impressive numbers can be used to improve your draft stock, it also means the opposite is true.

In other words, those numbers ain’t doing him any favors. He could easily slide just because of that combine performance.

He has far below average combine numbers.

He has some good film playing against college players.

I am not sure he has the stamina/endurance/engine to play all that many downs. He will now be playing against the big boys.

I can see him in the second round, and a disappointment, at least compared to the "buzz" about him.

I guess I could start a drafting web-site and join the others who have no idea where he and others will be picked or how he will do.

Hopefully, he will be a star.

Not to keep harping, because I'm as diehard Iowa as the rest, but it makes you wonder if another year in the weight room would have brought the numbers up to match the other players drafted at his position.

Still has the Iowa pro day ti improve. Maybe he was sick or just off. Really I think the two best drills that will affect him are the shuttle and the 40. If those improve he will do okay. If not I think he falls

LB Terrell Suggs:
40-yard Dash: 4.82

Vertical: 33 inches

Bench Press: 19 reps

While Terrell Suggs was explosive in college, his combine numbers concerned many ahead of the draft. Since he was picked tenth overall in the 2003 draft, he's been a prime example of why you can't always trust those numbers.

Suggs has a career 812 combined tackles, 573 total tackles, 239 assist and 125.5 sacks. Not to mention being voted to the Pro Bowl seven times and being named NFL Rookie of the Year in 2003 and NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2011. At 35-years old, he had one of his best seasons in 2017 after dealing with two Achilles tears and a torn bicep over the last five-and-a-half-seasons.

I guess it’s all relative, but long run, whether he goes in round 1, late in round 1, or in round 2, AJ is going to play several years in the NFL and end up with more $$ than he can spend in his lifetime. Someone commented that his combine numbers are well below average. Is that true? This year? All time? Compared to successful pro players over the years at his position? Let’s not get carried away. We have seen him play. We have seen BT schools game plan for him. We know about his character and his drive to improve. His stellar family background. How well he has been coached at Iowa. Lots of variables besides the combine on a given day.
Count me not worried. Prognosticators are not necessarily experts. GM’s and coaches will ultimately decide.

I think the question here is should he have stayed for his senior year.

He is a beast. And I love the guy. But against other players, the NFL will look at these numbers in a negative light. It may drop him from 15th to 35th.

But the rookie contract doesnt matter, its the 2nd contract where it matters. And hopefully Eppy can get that.

But the rookie contract doesnt matter
The rookie contract sure as hell matters.

First round is huge 8 figure guaranteed money. Second round is only half guaranteed and every spot you drop it falls off a cliff.

Ask George Kittle if it matters. His pay relative to his performance is by far the lowest in the league. It’s highway robbery for the production he gives the Niners, and that’s 100% because of where he got drafted.

I realize no one knew he’d take off like this, but if he were to blow a knee out or have some other sort of career ending injury, he’s SOL. A first rounder gets enough money without ever setting foot on a field to last him and his family a lifetime.

Just a few spots in the draft means the difference between instant permanent wealth and having to last four years in a league where the average guy doesn’t play that long. It matters big time.

I would want to know his 10 yard time and his acceleration rate. Lawrence Taylor, Wilbur Marshall and some more modern day rush ends and Lbkrs were just so explosive in their first two steps.

This. Like. +1.

When you go to a NFL game and see how fast the guys who play on the right side of the defense can get off the snap and close it is amazing. I don't give a shit what a lineman runs in the 40 because he ain't asked to run 40 yards most of the time.

Latest posts