Enough with the Pessimism

You might be right about the D. The LBs still seem a little lost and it's masked by the 2ndary and mostly the line play. That part is highly fixable. Not so optimistic on the O. I can foresee a breakout game followed by back to conservatism...like we've seen before.

They won't do it now but is sure seems to me they should make Fant a wide out as TE seems to have some depth.

Safeties and LBs may have a problem staying with Fant. CBs will not. Fant as a WR/FL/SE doesn't generate mismatches the way Fant as TE does.

Good Lord, Gold, forget the Rose Bowl. It was three seasons ago, the Hawks didn't truly have their hearts in it, and it's gone. As is last year's Wisconsin game, although that game is, IMO, more problematic as it showed our offensive philosophy needs overhauling.

You know I really can do that, but then Florida and Wisconsin come back to mind like a fuzzy bad dream.... Those types of things that oft just don't happen that oft to a program of relevance. Those rank with some of the the worst football ever. It's a never ending equation.

I'll take some gaba and maybe my dreams will improve...

You know I really can do that, but then Florida and Wisconsin come back to mind like a fuzzy bad dream.... Those types of things that oft just don't happen that oft to a program of relevance. Those rank with some of the the worst football ever. It's a never ending equation.

I'll take some gaba and maybe my dreams will improve...

Florida game we made two stupid mistakes: FB misses block on 4th-and-goal; missed tackles on UF TD near end of first half.

If we convert that first TD instead of whiffing, totally changes the ball game. The missed tackles for TD change how the second half starts out.

The Wisconsin game is the mind-boggler. Purdue was just defensive breakdown and stubbornness on part of staff and D-backfield. Stupid, and the offense was its typical self after giving up the lead.

That itself is one problem, i.e., we have a weird way of trying to mount comebacks. We seem to have a set "regimen", and do nothing to adapt or take what the defense gives.

The 2014 Maryland game was the epitome of it. We ram the ball down their throat with Weisman, get a TD...and then abandon any/all run plays in the end of third and all of fourth quarters. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
there really isn't a ton of reason for pessimistic views except for nit picking. Iowa is 2-0 against teams that people thought would at least contend for their conferences. That said, this kind of one dimensional offense isn't gonna win us anything that matters. We can at least talk about that - but guys who win as much as Iowa does don't get fired or benched.

who other than Randy Peterson thought ISU was a conference contender?

I know I'm rather new to posting here, but I really don't know what's up with everyone calling for the heads of Brian Ferentz and Nate Stanley.

upload_2018-9-12_20-8-9.png

Look mac, we serve hard drinks for men who want to get drunk fast. We don't anyone like you to bring the forum atmosphere...if you know what I'm talking about

Iowa has a D Line with several legit NFL prospects. They're making the LBs' jobs way easier.

You are absolutely right. I'm convinced that the DLine could have made all the tackles Saturday, they just wanted the linebackers to get some work, so they let guys go.

No one is arguing the DL is the difference maker. The point is that our LBs were in position all day long and they deserve credit for that. They weren't making tackles 5-7 yards downfield...they were hitting Montgomery at the line of scrimmage...all the gaps were full and when Montgomery cut sideways down the LOS...there was our corner or safety to finish the job. That's team defense...and Saturday was much, much better from an LB perspective.

This is a great team, the pessimists will be sorry they ever doubted!
Great team. Team includes offense and defense. This offense is brutal. 116th last year, and 112th now. That sucks any way you spin it. The defense? Remains to be seen when we face an offense with a pulse.