End the series...

Cyhigh

Banned
I keep hearing or reading posts on this board and some cyclone boards about reasons to end the series, most notably surrounding the recent revelation of the new Cy-Hawk farmers market paper weight. While I completely agree that the trophy should be melted down, reformed into a huge turd, and sent back to the committee. I don't get the statements over and over about ending the series. Aside from a decade or so hiatus, this series is long lasting and is now more competitive than ever. It's a great week in this state looking forward to the annual game and I think one of the better rivalries in the game. it allows both teams to have a pre season game which prepares them well for the conference and also adds to the strength of the schedule, mostly. What benefit would it give Iowa to drop ISU and add Montana St.? And, what benefit would it add Iowa to add an even tougher opponent?

It's disappointing to hear so many times that this series should not continue in a time of recession, depression, and most families not really feeling all that great about the future of our country right now and maybe their personal situation. The game is just a game but it provides us in the state with a sense of pride, joy, and at the least a week of fun anticipation with our bretheren. We are small state with a big impact on the world. We've been through some difficult and challenging times offering support to one another in a sort of masonic pledge. Let's not let the paper weight interfere with what most of us look forward to every year and most importantly let's keep this tradition alive for the fans, the coaches, the players, and this state.

Good luck this season

Cy

I keep hearing or reading posts on this board and some cyclone boards about reasons to end the series, most notably surrounding the recent revelation of the new Cy-Hawk farmers market paper weight. While I completely agree that the trophy should be melted down, reformed into a huge turd, and sent back to the committee. I don't get the statements over and over about ending the series. Aside from a decade or so hiatus, this series is long lasting and is now more competitive than ever. It's a great week in this state looking forward to the annual game and I think one of the better rivalries in the game. it allows both teams to have a pre season game which prepares them well for the conference and also adds to the strength of the schedule, mostly. What benefit would it give Iowa to drop ISU and add Montana St.? And, what benefit would it add Iowa to add an even tougher opponent?

It's disappointing to hear so many times that this series should not continue in a time of recession, depression, and most families not really feeling all that great about the future of our country right now and maybe their personal situation. The game is just a game but it provides us in the state with a sense of pride, joy, and at the least a week of fun anticipation with our bretheren. We are small state with a big impact on the world. We've been through some difficult and challenging times offering support to one another in a sort of masonic pledge. Let's not let the paper weight interfere with what most of us look forward to every year and most importantly let's keep this tradition alive for the fans, the coaches, the players, and this state.

Good luck this season

Cy

I agree totally with you CY. Paper-weights aside, the State of Iowa has been thru a lot this past year. And though I do not live in Iowa, the news that affects Iowaians I do pay attention to. The flooding was inexcusable, the heat intolerable and the politics boring, and yet Iowa lives on. As so should the Iowa vs Iowa State game.

But I do have to add that, you do realize you just stated that Montana St would be a tougher opponent for Iowa than ISU is? :)

"the series is now more competitive than ever"?:eek:

Are you kidding? 35-7 and 35-3 and 17-5
Now I agree with you, I do like the game, but I wouldn't shed a tear if it disappeared either.

People don't want the game ended, just put into a rotation. The teams should play 2/4, or 2/6 years.

With the 9 game schedules picking up, it would be better for ISU to schedule 3 automatic wins to make sure the reach bowl eligibility, and Iowa can only really afford to keep playing 1 BCS team a year, and needs the visibilty of playing Pitts and ASUs to get hype and publicity.

Not playing every single year would really not be that big of deal.

I think the OP has valid points. I have said this before, but I am big proponent of the series. For many of the Iowa fans who think the series should go away, I ask 'why?' It's not like Iowa is going to go out and schedule Notre Dame. Each year we have a couple of dog games on the schedule so I would prefer to keep this game because it is usually our first big test of the season. It's a rivalry. Just like Oregon/Oregon State; Michigan/Michigan State, etc. Why not play our intra-state rival? Yes, I admit that losing to ISU is harder to handle because as fans, we then have to hear about it for quite some time. I think the game is good for the state and the OP is correct, the game has been more competitive. Now in the 80s and early 90s, that was not so much the case. But now, pretty much any time we play the game could go either way and I think that is what makes it fun ... Would much rather play ISU then Eastern Washington ...

I think the OP has some valid points as well.

I would be interested in playing some other BCS non-conference games, and not be locked into the ISU game year after year.

Having said that, I do like the ISU coach, and hope he does well in Ames.

I'm not bummed about having to play ISU. I'm bummed about NOT playing teams like Wisconsin. I realize that's a bit of a tangent, but the Iowa-UW game is, by a factor of 100, a more important and relevant game.

Owell, I'll get off my tangent. Maybe Iowa plays Becky Badger in Indianapolis :)

I always expect a tough game from ISU, to be honest. Iowa has owned them the last few years, but it isn't always like that.

Once the Big Ten goes to a 9 game conference schedule, I'd really like to see Iowa play ISU 2 out of every 6 years or so and play a different BCS home/home 4 of the other 6 years.

If we keep the ISU game when the Big Ten goes to 9 conference games, Iowa will never play another non conference BCS opponent again. I'm just not happy with knowing we're locked into ISU as our only BCS non con going forward.

The game should be played In Iowa CITY each year.

2 for 1 at a minimum. ISU is a mid major and that is the way it should be.

I'm not for ending the series, but rotating ISU with some other teams. With only three non-conf games in the future The schedule for both teams is going to be very routine. To me if ISU could work out something with Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa to rotate among the three it would be better. Very little travel of ISU or vis a vis.

I hate this game. It is like a civil war, except it isn't all that civil. It tears families apart for weeks. And Iowa should NEVER play AT ISU. Hawks take a big money hit when they do that. No reason to reward ISU and do anything to make their program stronger.

People don't want the game ended, just put into a rotation. The teams should play 2/4, or 2/6 years.

With the 9 game schedules picking up, it would be better for ISU to schedule 3 automatic wins to make sure the reach bowl eligibility, and Iowa can only really afford to keep playing 1 BCS team a year, and needs the visibilty of playing Pitts and ASUs to get hype and publicity.

Not playing every single year would really not be that big of deal.
Please, no more West Coast games. We do ZERO recruiting out there anyway.

I'd like to see this game dropped for a long time. There seems to be a heavier dose of 'this game is so important to the state' from the ISU camp. I would feel the same way if i was on that side of this rivalry. They have much more to gain by playing this game.

We don't get as much out of it money-wise when the game is played at Jack Trice. Pollard also gets to jack-up prices bringing them more money because of this game. This is only heightened now because of the lame-duck Big 12. Other than seeing Texas or Oklahoma what other game is their fan-base amped up to see. We are it.

This game will be even more of a detriment when the B1G league schedule goes to 9 games. It essentially means we cannot afford to schedule any other BCS opponent in a home and home series because that would take us to 11 BCS games out of 12. That would be nuts. I really enjoy scheduling a mix of other BCS schools in the non-con that we don't see often like a Syracuse, Pittsburgh, etc. This will now end because of the ISU game.

Why not let both schools do their own thing and celebrate their own achievements.

There's no civility between the fan bases and no-one cares on a national level about this game outside of media in Iowa. It's 100% point-less.

Hey Oz, what is Coach Ferentz head coaching record against "mid-major" Iowa State?

This series is great for the state of Iowa and is in no danger of ending any time soon. It will continue as a home and home series just like, as someone mentioned above, other in-state. Two BCS schools playing in an intra-state rivalry game...who could NOT want to play such a game. Its a great way to prepare for each team's conference schedule.

What a Montana state gives us is a home game every year

Iowa is still going to have 7 home games a year, even when the league goes to 9 conference games.

Now, if Iowa ever got to the point where they turned into Ohio State and wanted 8 home games a year, I suppose the ISU series could be in jeopardy. But even in that situation, Iowa would only have 8 every other year.

Hey Oz, what is Coach Ferentz head coaching record against "mid-major" Iowa State?

This series is great for the state of Iowa and is in no danger of ending any time soon. It will continue as a home and home series just like, as someone mentioned above, other in-state. Two BCS schools playing in an intra-state rivalry game...who could NOT want to play such a game. Its a great way to prepare for each team's conference schedule.

6-6. Stop asking rhetorical questions.

6-6. SEE ANOTHER REASON FOR IOWA to end the series. Its a lose lose situations. We gain nothing by beating a mid major and lose quite a bit if the retarded squirrel finds the nut.

BTW could you please remind us of the Ames vs. Iowa record over the last 25 years? Please?

Alternate UNI and ISU. If we do away with the ISU series, we shouldn't be playing UNI either...they're in the lower division.

The series has run its course. It does nothing for the U of I. End the series and pick up some other opponent more worthy of our time

And, to call this game a rivalry is a joke. It can't be when it is so one-sided.

ISU would almost be totally irrelevant without Iowa on the schedule. They know it and it scares them to think Iowa would not be on their schedule.

Last edited:

Latest posts