End of game

Yea I had mixed feelings on that too. Especially when he said it was the same official from the ISU game. It's one thing to call out a situation, but he called out a specific person that will he officiating our games in the future. I loved it and hated it at the same time. Loved it now, will probably hate it later.
What are they going to do, not call fouls at the end of the game next time? :0

I'm guessing Underwood told his assistant to stir the pot a little bi. They wanted to send a message in advanc for the game in Champaign. The TO with 4 seconds left is consistent with the "message."

That game at Illinois might be for the Big Ten title for Illinois. Seriously. Iowa better strap it on tight for that one. Illinois hates Iowa to the core. They really do....and now they have a good team to back it up.

The Illinois fans around us were asshats just like their coaches. Talking smack the whole game. Several times flipping off the crowd. When Garza dropped that 3 followed by Weezy's dunk it was one of the most satisfying feelings I have ever had. Then watching the orange shirt wearing folks quietly exit the building was a close second.
Man why is Mr Larson wearing orange

He was gesturing to his own kids and assistants to turn around and go back. What would you say he should have done exactly? I think what Fran did was nicer then what I'd have done. I'd have went right back at those two and probably went right back to Underwood to let him know what was going on. But what Fran did was fine. He quite possibly prevented something worse from happening. Do you think if Fran just marches on by not paying them any attention those assistants wouldn't have kept yapping at our players?
Did you not read what I said?

The only difference between what we said was that Fran’s flailing arm and high pointing antics draws attention and makes it look like he’s out of control instead of the Illinois barker.

Did you not read that?

And if Fran would have done what you wanted to do then he’d be suspended.

Fran did the right thing by removing his team but this wasn’t between the players.

The thing that hurts Fran is the optics of waving his arms all around, flailing and pointing his hand up high, cocking his head back and screaming.

If he just walked over in front of his players and pointed them to the locker room the optics would look like he’s mature and in control.
Fran doesn’t suffer anybody’s BS...especially some no name assistant coach. He just shook hands with the head coach and he didn’t say anything.

I'm guessing Underwood told his assistant to stir the pot a little bi. They wanted to send a message in advanc for the game in Champaign. The TO with 4 seconds left is consistent with the "message."

That game at Illinois might be for the Big Ten title for Illinois. Seriously. Iowa better strap it on tight for that one. Illinois hates Iowa to the core. They really do....and now they have a good team to back it up.
Yesterday won’t make the game at Illinois better or worse IMO. There’s no love lost on our side either. Illinois is finally hitting a tough stretch. I predict they’re coming back to the pack...sad this before we beat them.

no it’s not out of context

Actually most coaches wouldn’t go waving their arms and gesturing to draw attention because they’re not the ones getting banged around.

And, more importantly, they are the adults.
He was gesturing to his own kids and assistants to turn around and go back. What would you say he should have done exactly? I think what Fran did was nicer then what I'd have done. I'd have went right back at those two and probably went right back to Underwood to let him know what was going on. But what Fran did was fine. He quite possibly prevented something worse from happening. Do you think if Fran just marches on by not paying them any attention those assistants wouldn't have kept yapping at our players?
Did you not read what I said?

The only difference between what we said was that Fran’s flailing arm and high pointing antics draws attention and makes it look like he’s out of control instead of the Illinois barker.

Did you not read that?

And if Fran would have done what you wanted to do then he’d be suspended.
I said " I think what Fran did was nicer then what I'd have done. I'd have went right back at those two and probably went right back to Underwood to let him know what was going on. But what Fran did was fine."
That's not me saying that's what I WANTED him to do at all. Fran totally did the right thing and I said as much.

Fran wasn't flailing his arms around like crazy either. He was just gesturing his own guys to turn around. Not sure how you came to that conclusion from what he did but whatever.

On Cockburn. I saw him and Luka exchange some positive stuff. Pats on the back, I think one apology from Luka after a scrum. Cockburn is a young kid from another country and got a hard lesson from Luka. I think he only had six points? The pre game guys were hyping a big battle between Cockburn and Luka. Guess not. My comment to my friends about him at the game was “Geez. He looks old enough to collect social security.”

On Cockburn. I saw him and Luka exchange some positive stuff. Pats on the back, I think one apology from Luka after a scrum. Cockburn is a young kid from another country and got a hard lesson from Luka. I think he only had six points? The pre game guys were hyping a big battle between Cockburn and Luka. Guess not. My comment to my friends about him at the game was “Geez. He looks old enough to collect social security.”
Never know for sure how old some of the foreign players really are.

Yesterday won’t make the game at Illinois better or worse IMO. There’s no love lost on our side either. Illinois is finally hitting a tough stretch. I predict they’re coming back to the pack...sad this before we beat them.

it's actually good to see this type of "bad blood" return to this game. for years and years it was illanoy that i hated the most in hoops. since they've tanked the last 10 yrs or so, it's allowed other programs to jump in. but, now, back to the cryin' illini

Who's looking forward to March 8th besides me? I hope we kick their fucking ass again. Punk ass assistant coaches. Better team won yesterday.

i am. the last game of the season on the road and both teams likely will be jockeying for B1G tourney positions. it's what B1G hoops should be and something we've been missing at iowa for some time.

Perhaps the only time I have agreed with Jockitch.

(Specifically his recommendation for the Illini assistants to "coach your own team".)

Last edited:

Latest posts