End of an era for this coaching staff....

You know what would make me happier than a new offensive philosophy? For the dozens of guys writing their dissertations on how much they hate the football team to go find another team to follow, a team they don't hate as much.

If they truly "hate", then I agree. If, like me, they want and expect more, than they are an asset to the football program. Until donors like myself, and other season ticket holders stand up, we'll get more of the same.

Something needs to change down there. Radio announcers on the call in shows from last year no longer on the radio? Polite suggestions from the athletic department. This is getting insane. You can't hardly be critical .if you're an Iowa fan

If they truly "hate", then I agree. If, like me, they want and expect more, than they are an asset to the football program. Until donors like myself, and other season ticket holders stand up, we'll get more of the same.

Something needs to change down there. Radio announcers on the call in shows from last year no longer on the radio? Polite suggestions from the athletic department. This is getting insane. You can't hardly be critical .if you're an Iowa fan
There's a part of every team that has 'fans' that whine after loses. What are your expectations anyway?

There is not ONE single rational reason to continue with this offensive philosophy.
There is a MOUNTAIN of evidence that says this offensive philosophy sucks.
Not only does his offensive strategy not work with teams equal to or better as far as talent but it is plain boring to watch. When I can sit in the stands and call the plays with about 90% accuracy they have a serious problem. I gave up my season tickets after the 1997 year as Hayden was running 90% of the time on first down and if changes are not made in the off season I am giving them up again. I understand that every year is going to be different but KF doesn't adjust to the circumstances. I am not a fair weather fan we don't have to win all our games or compete for a national title or big ten championship every year but I do expect to be entertained. I find it incredible that the Hawks have won as many games as they have with the offense we run and the worst game day coaching staff in the country.

There's a part of every team that has 'fans' that whine after loses. What are your expectations anyway?

Iowa is in the top 30 public schools in enrollment. It plays in the Big 10. It has 4 non-conference games. It plays 7 games at home. It has above average facilities. It has recruiting advantages (I can't wait for the rebuttal on this comment). It is on some form of TV every week.

Iowa should very seldom be under 8 wins a season.

Nobody is saying you can't be critical, but look that this freaking board, and tell me this is more than criticism. This is hate. These people despise everything about the football program, and they are dumping it all out. It is one thing to be critical, but it is another thing to see post after post of guys saying things like "Why would recruits come here" and "I am done following this team".

That is not the kind of things you say about something you love, that it what you say about your ex-wife, your ex-boss, and your ex-team.

I have my criticisms too, but I also have a life outside of Iowa football. I watched the game yesterday, and I was disappointed, not angry. Win or lose, Iowa football is still something I celebrate, not denigrate.

Seriously, this isn't about me accepting mediocrity or making excuses for anyone. This is about me being ashamed to be associated with this fanbase. Go find another team to follow if you hate this one.

Iowa is in the top 30 public schools in enrollment. It plays in the Big 10. It has 4 non-conference games. It plays 7 games at home. It has above average facilities. It has recruiting advantages (I can't wait for the rebuttal on this comment). It is on some form of TV every week.

Iowa should very seldom be under 8 wins a season.
I agree. But just because for two consecutive years we're at 7 wins (8 last year if you include the bowl win) doesn't mean we change everything, or anything. Now if we win 7 next year, then yeah, let's look at some things....but if you avg. out our record over the last 10 years (taking away the first 3 because of the rebuilding stuff) we're avg. over 8 wins per year.

May I get the dang Cliff's notes version of this here novel? The dang original poster reminds me of the hit 1980s ABC after school special entitled, "Timmy needs a new ball and a hug."

Nobody is saying you can't be critical, but look that this freaking board, and tell me this is more than criticism. This is hate. These people despise everything about the football program, and they are dumping it all out. It is one thing to be critical, but it is another thing to see post after post of guys saying things like "Why would recruits come here" and "I am done following this team".

That is not the kind of things you say about something you love, that it what you say about your ex-wife, your ex-boss, and your ex-team.

I have my criticisms too, but I also have a life outside of Iowa football. I watched the game yesterday, and I was disappointed, not angry. Win or lose, Iowa football is still something I celebrate, not denigrate.

Seriously, this isn't about me accepting mediocrity or making excuses for anyone. This is about me being ashamed to be associated with this fanbase. Go find another team to follow if you hate this one.

I hope you're not lumping me in with these guys. All I need to do is listen in the stadium to understand that a significant percentage that attend (and presumably watch on TV, or listen via other media) do not understand the game.

I'm too sometimes am embarrassed by behavior of our fans.

I depart from you in that I am very angry right now.

If they play in a bowl game in Florida, I'll attend. I'll think hard, and purchase season tickets. I'll travel to away games.

I'll end with this. I make every effort to not be critical of the athletes. I am critical of coaching, and especially the gestapo known as the U and its' athletic department.

Then find another team where the fanbase celebrates mediocrity. Head west on I-80 and hang a right when you get to Des Moines.

I hope you're not lumping me in with these guys. All I need to do is listen in the stadium to understand that a significant percentage that attend (and presumably watch on TV, or listen via other media) do not understand the game.

I'm too sometimes am embarrassed by behavior of our fans.

I depart from you in that I am very angry right now.

If they play in a bowl game in Florida, I'll attend. I'll think hard, and purchase season tickets. I'll travel to away games.

I'll end with this. I make every effort to not be critical of the athletes. I am critical of coaching, and especially the gestapo known as the U and its' athletic department.

You know, it is hard not to lump you in with those guys when you start comparing the athletic department to ruthless Nazi enforcers...just sayin

You know, it is hard not to lump you in with those guys when you start comparing the athletic department to ruthless Nazi enforcers...just sayin

It is best that most here do not understand what the administration and athletic department really are. They are happier that way.

Look at the facts....it's not all that ineffective. Has it been ineffective? Yes....Has it also won us a lot of games we would not have otherwise been in...YES. Do you think another style honestly changes anything? The only change I see is the reasons fans complain.....we are a fickle fan base.

I AM LOOKING AT THE FACTS. You're ignoring them or rationalizing them to make yourself feel better, I know, because I used to do the same.
The facts say this offense sucks & has sucked for quite some time.

Iowa didn't score a meaningful point against the same defense that gave up nearly 100pts to Wisconsin & Michigan.

Ask a neutral fan, that's a good barometer, they will all say the same thing...predictable, boring, uninspired.

Were you entertained in 2008 or 2009? Same coaching staff.

I live in Georgia and the Georgia program has historically been one of the "national programs". Most of my friends and neighbors are Bulldog fans. Their recruiting classes are normally VERY good... much, much better than ours. For the last few years I've enjoyed the Hawkeyes having equal or better success than Georgia. Are you going to tell me this has nothing at all to do with our coaching staff?

A portion of our fanbase sounds like those down here who were calling for Mark Richt's head for the last few years because they were having a few "mediocre" seasons and weren't competing for national championships. Now they've turned it around, are going to the SEC Championship game, and the calls for his head have miraculously stopped. Admittedly, he did make a few changes to his staff. Do I think we could make some tweaks on the coaching staff here and there, of course.

However, as a die hard Hawkeye fan, I can't even imagine saying I'm done with this coaching staff or that I'm giving up my season tickets. I'm going to continue to believe we'll do better next year. If we were in the same situation as the basketball program I might feel differently, but it's not even close to that situation (although I don't miss watching every BB game I can either). If I lived close enough to attend the games I'd be there every Saturday win or lose. I certainly don't "celebrate" mediocrity, but I also don't condemn them for a few mediocre seasons either. It happens. Unfortunately for us, all the other teams are trying to win, too.

Edit: was referring to the Lickliter years in BB.

Last edited:
It is best that most here do not understand what the administration and athletic department really are. They are happier that way.

Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_54861ec08bb94920deec2e22bc3dbc5d.gif

I guess we disagree. I'd also guess we are basing our positions based on two different sets of facts, and talk to two entirely different sets of people both at the U, and in their donor base.

As I said, most on here are happier not knowing. It makes it easier.

I guess we disagree. I'd also guess we are basing our positions based on two different sets of facts, and talk to two entirely different sets of people both at the U, and in their donor base.

As I said, most on here are happier not knowing. It makes it easier.

So wait, I'm confused, are university administrators going around burning down the businesses of Jewish families or what?

So wait, I'm confused, are university administrators going around burning down the businesses of Jewish families or what?

I used the word as an adjective. It was a poor choice of words. Not intended to be racist, or hurtful. If it offended, I'm sorry. I won't use this choice of words again.

Everything else I stand by.

But just because for two consecutive years we're at 7 wins

And in those two years we lost to Minnesota, one of the 2 worst teams in the Big Ten. Boy, wouldn't 8 regular season wins look better than 7?

But, no, apparently it's now ok to lose to awful Minnesota teams. :(

I used the word as an adjective. It was a poor choice of words. Not intended to be racist, or hurtful. If it offended, I'm sorry. I won't use this choice of words again.

Everything else I stand by.

I am not offended by what you said, I am confused. You asked not to be lumped in with embarrassing fans, then you compared the Administration to nazis. You stand by what you said, but you didn't say anything; You claim to have inside knowledge of (apparently) nefarious action by a shadowy cabal and declined (without provocation) to divulge details because we're happier without them.

How can you stand by what you said when you didn't say anything except you won't say anything.

My head hurts...

I am not offended by what you said, I am confused. You asked not to be lumped in with embarrassing fans, then you compared the Administration to nazis. You stand by what you said, but you didn't say anything; You claim to have inside knowledge of (apparently) nefarious action by a shadowy cabal and declined (without provocation) to divulge details because we're happier without them.

How can you stand by what you said when you didn't say anything except you won't say anything.

My head hurts...

Go ask Eric Thigpen why he doesn't do the post-game radio show any longer. Ask Bob Bruce the same question.

Latest posts