Ellingson granted medical redshirt; sixth year of eligibility

zhawk

From the HawkCentral website:

Brady Ellingson confirmed Thursday night some very good news for Iowa basketball: He has received clearance for a medical redshirt despite playing in seven games last season as a true freshman.
Ellingson said he recently learned about the NCAA's approval for his appeal for a medical hardship after he battled for months with a nagging foot injury. That means he's still got four years of college eligibility remaining.

Great news and is exactly what Fran believed would happen. That said, it would be a 5th year that was granted, no?

Great news and is exactly what Fran believed would happen. That said, it would be a 5th year that was granted, no?

Yes, you're exactly right. I had it in my head that he was a redshirt freshman last year, but it says right in the lede of the article that he was a true freshman so I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for the correction.

Brady Ellingson redshirted last season. So, with a medical redshirt, doesn't he still get his redshirt and then 4 seasons to play? Doesn't that add up to 6?

And that being said, I'm still a heckuva a lot more excited by the prospect of
Andrew Fleming, Christian Williams, Brandon Hutton and Isaiah Moss in the
IOWA back court.

Time will tell.........Go Hawks......Prove me wrong, Brady

Brady Ellingson redshirted last season. So, with a medical redshirt, doesn't he still get his redshirt and then 4 seasons to play? Doesn't that add up to 6?

I always thought that if a medical hardship (redshirt) was granted, it replaced the option of the normal redshirt if it has yet to be used. If the normal redshirt has been used before the medical hardship is granted, then the player is granted an extra year, ie 6th year of eligibility.

I tried looking it up but couldn't find the answer. Anybody know the rules for certain?

According to the story, he was a true freshman last season. This is from the article: "He has received clearance for a medical redshirt despite playing in seven games last season as a true freshman."

It also says he has four years of eligibility left, which would seem to indicate that the medical redshirt takes the place of a normal redshirt. However, I'm not sure then why it would need to be a medical redshirt. Why wouldn't that just be his normal redshirt year? It's all rather confusing, and I don't know the exact rules around it.

According to the story, he was a true freshman last season. This is from the article: "He has received clearance for a medical redshirt despite playing in seven games last season as a true freshman."

It also says he has four years of eligibility left, which would seem to indicate that the medical redshirt takes the place of a normal redshirt. However, I'm not sure then why it would need to be a medical redshirt. Why wouldn't that just be his normal redshirt year? It's all rather confusing, and I don't know the exact rules around it.

You can't normally redshirt if you play any minutes during a season. The only way to redshirt if you played at all during a season is to get the medical redshirt. See this article about Uthoff and his freshman year at Wisconsin. If Jared would have checked into the season opener, he would not have been able to redshirt that year.

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_f6c271f4-1312-11e1-a6f9-001cc4c03286.html

You can't normally redshirt if you play any minutes during a season. The only way to redshirt if you played at all during a season is to get the medical redshirt. See this article about Uthoff and his freshman year at Wisconsin. If Jared would have checked into the season opener, he would not have been able to redshirt that year.

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_f6c271f4-1312-11e1-a6f9-001cc4c03286.html

Ah, that makes sense! So he couldn't have used it as a redshirt year and would have had only three years of eligibility left instead of four as he has now. I was still wrong to call it a sixth year of eligibility, though, since in fact really what it did was enable a redshirt fifth year retroactively.

Ah, that makes sense! So he couldn't have used it as a redshirt year and would have had only three years of eligibility left instead of four as he has now. I was still wrong to call it a sixth year of eligibility, though, since in fact really what it did was enable a redshirt fifth year retroactively.

He has a year of experience in the system. He will be a good player for Iowa this year.

Always nice to get good news. Don't know if he'll start but it would be nice if we had a sharpshooter to come off the bench and drill threes. Ellingson might be that guy.

Latest posts