Brendan Sullivan Commits to Hawkeyes

The development and recruiting of quarterbacks since Nate Stanley has been atrocious. A further indictment can be made based on what we see from Joey Labbas at Central Michigan and Petras at Utah St.

I’m going to regurgitate what everyone else is saying…let Sullivan compete with McNamara for the starting job. You just can’t anoint CM.

O'Keefe retired. It's really that simple. The guy was the glue on the offense.

Laughing. One has to admire your loyalty.

I will admit that if we had just an average KOK offense last year we don't lose to Minny and in the conference title game there would have been a punchers chance there the way the D was playing.

He also hung around too long... The guy had been mailing it in for awhile making easy money. He shares blame with the Petras fiasco. That wasn't all BF. And the recruitment of guys like Padilla, May, etc etc etc that all never amounted to shit. O'keefe had his run but he also helped with the fall of how we got here.

He also hung around too long... The guy had been mailing it in for awhile making easy money. He shares blame with the Petras fiasco. That wasn't all BF. And the recruitment of guys like Padilla, May, etc etc etc that all never amounted to shit. O'keefe had his run but he also helped with the fall of how we got here.
Thems Fightin' Words!!

I get your point, and at the risk of defending the old guy, I mean, he was the QB coach during a nice stretch with Stanley at QB. He got one decent year out of Petras during the COVID year that was sneaky good. His last year was bad, as Petras regressed, but it got even worse when he left. To the extent he was charged with recruiting and developing Petras and Padilla, yep, pretty bad. He left that cupboard about as bare as possible upon exiting stage left. Then he watched his best friends dopey kid run what was left of the offense into the ground.

Hmm are you referring to someone such as Ragaini cause he seemed to drop his share too and never seemed to lose PT and go into dog house. Yeah I see that. BF didn't seem to have a rhyme or reason for a lot of decisions he made.
First guy I thought of.

If we want to sit around and wonder why Bostick left look no further then those guys... Those two dudes had they stayed at Iowa wouldn't have gotten but maybe a tryout for the NFL. They leave and to the NFL they go cashing checks and good for them. I really liked both of those guys. Tracy dropped some balls I seem to remember and that kinda put him in BFs dog house but still he was a talented player that we underutilized that just goes without saying at this point. KF took him to Indy as one of the 3 captains that yr before he left for peats sake.

Bostick going to A&M is gonna make bank NIL wise and get a better shot at showcasing himself for the next level. At least where things stand today he's got 4 yrs of eligibility so maybe in that time Iowa could make themselves respectable in that department but I'd have to see it before I'd predict it
Bostick didn't play more at Iowa because he was constantly injured.

Tracy was dropping almost everything. He played himself out of a job. I do give Purdue credit for using him as RB. I thought we should try him on a few running plays, where he can run and maybe restore his confidence with some easy catches.

It really does come down to the line. They are big and now very experienced in their positions. Depth might be an issue but statistically we are due for some major injury luck.
Thems Fightin' Words!!

I get your point, and at the risk of defending the old guy, I mean, he was the QB coach during a nice stretch with Stanley at QB. He got one decent year out of Petras during the COVID year that was sneaky good. His last year was bad, as Petras regressed, but it got even worse when he left. To the extent he was charged with recruiting and developing Petras and Padilla, yep, pretty bad. He left that cupboard about as bare as possible upon exiting stage left. Then he watched his best friends dopey kid run what was left of the offense into the ground.
Pretty good play from Banks, Chandler, Tate, Stanzi and Stanley too. The offensive disintegration started in 2020 and had become laughable by the end of last season. KF and KO'K are friends but KF has always been the boss. What was KO'K supposed to do, demand that the HC override the OC?

Attacking the boss' son is never a good employment strategy and it's certainly not displaying loyalty to a friend.

Attacking the boss' son is never a good employment strategy and it's certainly not displaying loyalty to a friend.
That’s why Wallace will be the next guy if KF has his way.

I have never in 43 years heard such a nut-hugging, ball-cradling, barftastically puke-worthy speech as the one Seth Wallace drooled out of his pie hole the day Kurt Farence made that sawed-off runt assistant head coach.

The guy who was documented to have repeatedly bullied a player with learning disabilities and admitted doing so is the co-head coach of the Iowa football program…and he might be the next head coach. The guy who also refused to apologize publicly (he may have even refused to apologize to Kallenberger in private), and when asked said, “[my] approach doesn’t need to change.” Apparently you have to go as far as calling a kid retarded to get in trouble.

The day Wallace didn’t get a sliver of punishment and didn’t even look worried about his future told me he had naked pictures of someone important doing sketchy things with someone they shouldn’t have been doing them with. The guy is a puke human being and if he ends up being the next to the throne I’m done watching until he hopefully has two 0-12 seasons in a row and gets fired, the sooner the better if so. And then I’d come back to Iowa football.

But if it does happen at least there will be a 10 win LeVar Woods head coached team somewhere to root for in the interim.

Thems Fightin' Words!!

I totally acknowledge that he was the main guy with the good ole days. More then one thing can be true of course and how he did things with his evaluation of recruiting QBs and how those QBs did while at Iowa was complete garbage down the stretch of his tenure and it absolutely contributed to where things have gotten. It was the first domino I'd say. Bringing in not so great prospects (to put it nicely) and then leaving them to BFs tutelage ended predictably how it did.

Bostick didn't play more at Iowa because he was constantly injured.

Tracy was dropping almost everything. He played himself out of a job. I do give Purdue credit for using him as RB. I thought we should try him on a few running plays, where he can run and maybe restore his confidence with some easy catches.

It really does come down to the line. They are big and now very experienced in their positions. Depth might be an issue but statistically we are due for some major injury luck.

Pretty good play from Banks, Chandler, Tate, Stanzi and Stanley too. The offensive disintegration started in 2020 and had become laughable by the end of last season. KF and KO'K are friends but KF has always been the boss. What was KO'K supposed to do, demand that the HC override the OC?

Evaluate HS qb recruits better, recruit better, develop them better. KOK was all we had for the QB poistion. He was the end all be all with everything QB and the passing game. Him mailing it in the last few yrs of his time at Iowa just killed us.

Obviously if he had objections or suggestions for BF on how to run the O he would've had every opportunity to have done that in private meetings. Maybe he did how would we even know? He could've done so in a non confrontational respectful way. If anyone could it woulda been him.

Hell that was the reason why initially I thought BF might have had a snowballs chance of being successful when he first took over OC. Because if anyone could go to his daddy and object to things and not only get away with it but maybe even change his mind on something it'd be him. Turns out BF wasn't able to rock that boat either.

I have never in 43 years heard such a nut-hugging, ball-cradling, barftastically puke-worthy speech as the one Seth Wallace drooled out of his pie hole the day Kurt Farence made that sawed-off runt assistant head coach.

The guy who was documented to have repeatedly bullied a player with learning disabilities and admitted doing so is the co-head coach of the Iowa football program…and he might be the next head coach. The guy who also refused to apologize publicly (he may have even refused to apologize to Kallenberger in private), and when asked said, “[my] approach doesn’t need to change.” Apparently you have to go as far as calling a kid retarded to get in trouble.

The day Wallace didn’t get a sliver of punishment and didn’t even look worried about his future told me he had naked pictures of someone important doing sketchy things with someone they shouldn’t have been doing them with. The guy is a puke human being and if he ends up being the next to the throne I’m done watching until he hopefully has two 0-12 seasons in a row and gets fired, the sooner the better if so. And then I’d come back to Iowa football.

But if it does happen at least there will be a 10 win LeVar Woods head coached team somewhere to root for in the interim.
If Woods were to leave and become a head coach and take Lainez with him, it is highly probably that whatever team they went to would win the next three Natties.......

The paranoids are on full flight, following the positive development of signing a good QB that will at least push the starter, has 12 Big Ten starts and might be a very productive starter.

The entire spring the bitter enders have said Iowa won't sign anyone good in the portal. Well, a Big Ten starter at our weakest and potential worse position is a very positive sign. We are signing many 5* type QBs because we lack the money and the prestige. That is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future. Small school, small state, no urban area close to campus, and the same shitty weather as most of the Big Ten teams.

KF has had Iowa punching above their weight for the last 23 seasons. Although the BF hire ended up as a catastrophe, it didn't look so at the time. Iowa is not well situated for offensive players, other than the TEs and OLs who frequently go pro, and at times pretty high in the draft orders. Having said that Iowa usually has good running backs and 1 or 2 good receivers. This year I concede will be a crap shoot at WR, as have the last three with injuries and defections. Had some weird circumstances and poor coaching at those positions for three seasons. Kaleb B was looking good by the end of the season. Wetjen is the fastest guy on the team. BF only used Wetjen in a handful of specific plays, so the D always knew what was coming. He showed good hands in the return game so catching the ball doesn't seem a problem. It didn't have to be a jet sweep on reverse, use that speed to at least throw some deep balls to scare the defense. Anderson could also start. We haven't seen the receivers so no reason to assume they're bad, and still looking for more.

So be happy with the good news and don't follow with "yeah but ...." BF is gone. KF is smart and recognized there needed to be big changes that adhere to the two strategic goals: longer and more time-consuming drives and more TDs/1st Downs and avoid risk to the extent possible. KF won't tinker with the offense. You can run a lot of motion and still snap the ball at 1 second on the play clock.

Last edited:
The paranoids are on full flight, following the positive development of signing a good QB that will at least push the starter, has 12 Big Ten starts and might be a very productive starter.

The entire spring the bitter enders have said Iowa won't sign anyone good in the portal. Well, a Big Ten starter at our weakest and potential worse position is a very positive sign. We are signing many 5* type QBs because we lack the money and the prestige. That is not going to change any time in the foreseeable future. Small school, small state, no urban area close to campus, and the same shitty weather as most of the Big Ten teams.

KF has had Iowa punching above their weight for the last 23 seasons. Although the BF hire ended up as a catastrophe, it didn't look so at the time. Iowa is not well situated for offensive players, other than the TEs and OLs who frequently go pro, and at times pretty high in the draft orders. Having said that Iowa usually has good running backs and 1 or 2 good receivers. This year I concede will be a crap shoot at WR, as have the last three with injuries and defections. Had some weird circumstances and poor coaching at those positions for three seasons. Kaleb B was looking good by the end of the season. Wetjen is the fastest guy on the team. BF only used Wetjen in a handful of specific plays, so the D always knew what was coming. He showed good hands in the return game so catching the ball doesn't seem a problem. It didn't have to be a jet sweep on reverse, use that speed to at least throw some deep balls to scare the defense. Anderson could also start. We haven't seen the receivers so no reason to assume they're bad, and still looking for more.

So be happy with the good news and don't follow with "yeah but ...." BF is gone. KF is smart and recognized there needed to be big changes that adhere to the two strategic goals: longer and more time-consuming drives and more TDs/1st Downs and avoid risk to the extent possible. KF won't tinker with the offense. You can run a lot of motion and still snap the ball at 1 second on the play clock.

Urban areas close to Iowa City are basically Chicago and Minneapolis, and the Illini and Gophers usually
have the cream of the crop

Of course the Elite 5 star players can pick and choose their destination depending on NIL and the prestige of the institution

It is what it is and we are what we are, and we keep on watching and cheering the Hawks on and on

Gives me something to do

Just watched Brendan’s highlight clips. Yes, I get it. Highlights. But. Now watch them and put Deke in Sully’s place. There you go. Maybe put Lainez in that spot, too.
Hill just isn't capable of doing much. He can stand there take snaps step into it and throw it hard. Where it's going God only knows but he can throw it hard. That's about it. Half of Brendans highlights involve his legs rolling out one way or the other.

What I'm disappointed in is not only the taking of Hill to begin with as a player but then entertaining the thought of keeping him another yr. He coulda stayed staff wasn't going to kick him out. Dude is morbidly obese and out of shape for the position. That huge lefty that used to be at Kentucky years ago is the only guy I can compare him to. He's been at Iowa over a yr and they didn't put him on any kind of strenuous diet and workout plan to get into actual shape? He looked the same in spring ball as he did when he first got here. Thanks BF and Budmayr for that wasted scholly given out.

Urban areas close to Iowa City are basically Chicago and Minneapolis, and the Illini and Gophers usually
have the cream of the crop

Of course the Elite 5 star players can pick and choose their destination depending on NIL and the prestige of the institution

It is what it is and we are what we are, and we keep on watching and cheering the Hawks on and on

Gives me something to do
While Chicago is located in Illinois and Minneapolis in Minnesota, the Goofers and Fighting Berts by no means have fenced off these markets. Far from it. Notre Dame takes a lot of talent out of Chicago and Iowa and Wisky have done well in Chicago over the years. As for the Land of 10,000 walleye infested mudholes, Row Your Boat coaches and recruits above what that program deserves, but Minny aint a destination school for any 5 star that finds himself ice fishing in Lake Wannagetouttahere in January.

It is just impossible for some folks on here to have anything positive to say about Iowa. I appreciate your more optimistic/realistic assessment.

Other than losing Proctor (which honestly, we never actually had him), this offseason has been about as successful as we could have hoped for. The two worst parts of the offense (BF and Hill) are gone. The new OC seems competent and is being given free reign to implement a lot of motion, smoke and mirrors to at least dress up the offense and give it a fresh coat of paint. CM is apparently on track to be ready to go, and if not, we have have one very experienced back-up and another talented guy behind him. Our only loss of consequence on offense to the portal was Bostick, and that guy spent his entire career in the training tent. The defense lost no one of consequence except to the draft, and retaining the two veteran LBs and Castro were huge. The defense looks to be Top 10 once again.

No scandals. No arrests. No large defections in the portal. A couple strategic pick-ups in the portal. Coming off a 10-win season with a lot of returning starters. Average schedule. KF has this program about as stable as you can have a program in today's nutty world of college FB.

The Kallenberger stuff was definitely wrong. But is there anything else that causes you to call him a puke human being? My hunch was that Doyle walked around with a sense of complete autonomy and filled with hubris, and Brian took a shine to that approach. Which was particularly problematic given his already likely sense of entitlement as the coach's kid.

And then you had Wallace, who seemed to be good buddies with both of those guys and probably looked up to them. So while he had some good influences of Morgan and Parker around him, he also had Brian and Doyle rubbing off on him.

Like I said, only a hunch. Maybe that manifested with his treatment of Kallenberger?

Just curious if you've heard other things. It doesn't seem like a whole lot else has come out publicly.

The Kallenberger stuff was definitely wrong. But is there anything else that causes you to call him a puke human being? My hunch was that Doyle walked around with a sense of complete autonomy and filled with hubris, and Brian took a shine to that approach. Which was particularly problematic given his already likely sense of entitlement as the coach's kid.

And then you had Wallace, who seemed to be good buddies with both of those guys and probably looked up to them. So while he had some good influences of Morgan and Parker around him, he also had Brian and Doyle rubbing off on him.

Like I said, only a hunch. Maybe that manifested with his treatment of Kallenberger?

Just curious if you've heard other things. It doesn't seem like a whole lot else has come out publicly.
I've been personally told other stuff about Wallace by a former player, but it'd give away the player's identity pretty easily if I said what it was. I will say it wasn't anything dealing with race and wasn't illegal.

That said, the Kallenberger situation is more than enough to call him a puke human being. That same former Iowa player told me more details on it, and it went way beyond him calling Kallenberger Simple Jack. Wallace should thank the god of sawed-off little punks that Doyle was getting in trouble for way more serious stuff at the same time and took all the heat off him.

If Seth Wallace ever becomes head coach of the Iowa football team, I'm done paying attention to the program until he's gone. People here can write that down. I'll come back immediately when and if he leaves. As a person with a kid who has a lot of the same issues as Kallenberger I can't root for a team where that guy is in charge and supposed to be fostering the culture.

Mind you, my allegiance will always be with the Hawks. I just hope if he does get to be head coach they go 0-22 and he gets fired as soon as possible.

Here's Seth Wallace's MO for anyone who doesn't remember...

Re: the "unnamed" coach in the below statement, he later confirmed it to be Wallace when other players came out in Kallenberger's defense and said it was him. Seth Wallace, KF golden child numero dos, wrote a student's GPA (with a diagnosed learning disability) on a team whiteboard to intimidate and humiliate him. Ask any prof you know if they'd have a job 10 minutes after they got caught doing that.

Published directly by Jack Kallenberger:

"I post this not to take away from the issues my ex African American teammates have brought to light, but to shed more light on what really goes inside that football building. I also share this not out of a place of hate whatsoever. The University of Iowa and Iowa Football programs mean A LOT to me. I'm very proud to be a former Hawkeye. I believe it is necessary to create a better environment and culture for every player that will go through that program from today on. I've been debating sharing my story of how my time at Iowa played out since I left the program last January. Right now is a time where I felt uncomfortable sharing as the stories being shared by former players are all involving race. I did not want to take that spotlight away because the racial disparities need to be solved in that building. However, after speaking to a former teammate and close friend of mine who has shared his story, he encouraged me to all open up because now is a time of change for Iowa football. This is not easy for me, but it is necessary to share."

"I've struggled with ADHD all my life and have been on medication for as long as I can remember. People in the Iowa football program were aware of my learning disability. I enrolled at Iowa in June of 2017, and wasn't tested in the hospital for a learning disability until spring of 2018 (I also need to be tested to have access to medication). During that semester and a half period, I nearly failed out of Iowa because I struggled to pay attention in class, focus on my assigned readings, and not day dream during exams. All of these struggles were due to the chemical imbalance that hindered my ability to focus as the human brain should."

"The issues at Iowa began when a coach nicknamed me Simple Jack. For those unaware, Simple Jack is a mentally challenged character from the movie Tropic Thunder. I had never seen that move before but my coaches and teammates were quick to tell me exactly who Simple Jack was. One coach was great at jumping on opportunities to bring me down and make me feel dumb. Matt Nelson and I had a tradition of giving each other belly bumps before every game and practice. This coach made comments about my so-called 'lack of intelligence' most mornings on the practice field. This coach constantly told me how dumb I am. This same coach also constantly told my little brother [Iowa OL Mark Kallenberger] how dumb I am. This same coach also suggested we create a new sign for a defensive call because I was too stupid for the old one apparently. One coach wrote my semester GPA on his position room whiteboard (my parents didn't even know my GPA as consent laws protect it). I often struggled to hold conversations with Chris Doyle because he was another coach that enjoyed to remind me that I'm dumb. One Sunday after a lift, some guys and I were talking about movies that just came out. Doyle overheard this conversation and said 'Kallenberger, how about you open a (expletive) book instead of watching movies."

"We have to read a book as a team every January, assigned by the strength staff. We are quizzed over it once a week. I remember already being overwhelmed with school (learning curves are bigger for me due to my inability to focus so school took more time for me) and then had the anxiety of getting my pages read for this book quiz from the strength staff. I failed out first quiz over the put and Doyle said to me in the weight room, "is the book too hard, or are you too stupid?"

"I remember lying to Coach [Reese] Morgan's face on multiple occasions when he would see something was upsetting me. Before I quit football, Coach Morgan told me he was already planning on having me take reps to spare Chauncey Golston and AJ Epenesa at first string at defensive end in spring ball. That opportunity is the reason I came to Iowa. Being from Iowa, that was such a real dream of mine. Knowing that was a reality going into my final season made no difference. I again lied to Coach Morgan and told him I need to step away to focus on school. I quit football not because of school, but because I was broken, beat down, bullied, unwanted, and unloved. I was stripped of every ounce of self-confidence I had. I wouldn't speak in classes out of fear that I was going to be called dumb because that was my reality for two years in the Iowa football building. I was forced to forget about my learning disability (much like the coaches ignored it) and forced to believe that I was a stupid individual."

"At Iowa, if you don't fit the mold, you're an outcast and will be treated accordingly by many of the coaches on the staff. It is an environment where mistakes can be made, but you better not make any. It's an environment that causes crippling anxiety, something that [former Iowa DB] Manny Rugamaba mentioned in his own personal stories as well."

These types of stories are why DEI initiates are part of my law firms DNA these days, as is the case for many successful organizations. People hear DEI and they wrongly think affirmative action, or pandering, or being touchy feely. DEI at its core is realizing that your own personal biases and conduct may be impacting others in the organization that are different than you in ways you do not realize or you need to realize. Its about awareness. Whether its race, gender, ethnicity, nuerodiversity (which Jack is), singling out people for ridicule is bullshit. But, truly great organizations go beyond that to ensure that all members of the organization feel welcomed with their differences and create space for their uniqueness to grow individually and grow the team.

What people often skip over with regard to the Doyle scandal is that it wasn't just that many of the coaches were assholes and creeps, but it was antithetical to the success of the team. If the Black players or the learning challenged players or whomever don't feel like a full part of the team, if they feel marginalized, they aint gonna be all in. Successful organizations bring everyone along. Sure hope KF learned that lesson and whomever his successor is really understands that. Bullies make whatever organization they are apart of weaker.